We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.
Wii

Wii Fit is a Million Seller

by Carmine Red - January 9, 2008, 5:50 pm PST
Total comments: 17 Source: Associated Press

Nintendo's fitness-themed title soars in Japan despite an $80 price tag.

Wii Fit, the latest title from Nintendo that has been designed to appeal to non-traditional consumers, has just become the Nintendo Wii's latest hit. According to an Associated Press report, Nintendo announced that its fitness-themed video game has sold more than a million copies in Japan in a little over one month. This news comes in the midst of traditionally strong holiday sales for Japan during which other titles have also benefited, like Nintendo's own Super Mario Galaxy which sold twice as many units in the sales week starting December 17 than it did the sales week starting December 3.

Unlike other games, Wii Fit is controlled via an included Wii Balance Board peripheral instead of using the Wii Remote. By simply detecting a users weight and stance, the device allows users to engage in more than 40 activities including skiing, hula hooping, and yoga. In Japan, the entire package sells for 8800 yen (approximately $80 US), which is 3000 yen more than most new video game releases.

Currently, Wii Fit has no confirmed release date or price information in regions other than Japan. It is known, however, that Nintendo is thinking about redesigning the Wii Balance Board to allow heavier players to use it since the Japanese Wii Balance board only supports users up to 300 pounds of weight.

Thanks to BlackNMild2k1 from the forums for the tip!

Talkback

I hope you don't mind me finding a different source from the one you sent in BlacknMild. That said, Wii Fit's success must be really affirming for Nintendo... and really proves wrong those people who thought that its high price tag would keep sales muted, people like me!

shammackJanuary 09, 2008

In other words, Americans are too fat for the Wii Balance Board.

oohhboyHong Hang Ho, Staff AlumnusJanuary 09, 2008

Do you think if they ever release a Time Crisis game, you could use the board as a pedal? or would they go for the simpler just dip the gun down motion.

Quote

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Do you think if they ever release a Time Crisis game, you could use the board as a pedal? or would they go for the simpler just dip the gun down motion.


It's a neat idea, but it sounds like an option that's not really necessary. Like you point out, there are mhuch easier alternatives that don't require a large peripheral...

Rockband, however...

Quote

Originally posted by: shammack
In other words, Americans are too fat for the Wii Balance Board.


That's why it's needed more than ever.

NinGurl69 *hugglesJanuary 09, 2008

WII FIT: GERSTMANN EDITION,

BRING IT

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterJanuary 09, 2008

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
I hope you don't mind me finding a different source from the one you sent in BlacknMild. That said, Wii Fit's success must be really affirming for Nintendo... and really proves wrong those people who thought that its high price tag would keep sales muted, people like me!


The REAL test lies in the US, though.

Japan goes crazy over games like this. The US, though, is a harder sell.

They bought into Brain Age, Wii Sports and Wii Play, sure, but will they bite the bullet and get Wii Fit?

Time will tell...

Actually, Brain Age did its worst in the US. It's actually doing gangbusters in Europe in comparison! So yeah, the US will probably be the most difficult market for Wii Fit.

Jamaican Mario ScholarJanuary 09, 2008

If not TC... how about a DK Mine Racer? Shift and jump to change tracks

Yeah, I know what you're saying. We even had a message thread with all our crazy game ideas when the Balance Board was announced. Heck... I got a new idea right now... bump time!

Actually, I'm really confused as to why Konami is selling its own mat for their upcoming Wii title Family Trainer: Athletic World. Maybe they'll add Balance Board support before their title launches, or just remove the mat completely and pack-in the Balance Board ala Wii Fit?

GoldenPhoenixJanuary 09, 2008

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Yeah, I know what you're saying. We even had a message thread with all our crazy game ideas when the Balance Board was announced. Heck... I got a new idea right now... bump time!

Actually, I'm really confused as to why Konami is selling its own mat for their upcoming Wii title Family Trainer: Athletic World. Maybe they'll add Balance Board support before their title launches, or just remove the mat completely and pack-in the Balance Board ala Wii Fit?


Rational and Konami do not go together. You should know this by now!

NephilimJanuary 09, 2008

Konami hates money anyway

could of made easy millions by just translating the ps2 guitar freaks

PlugabugzJanuary 09, 2008

The gamecube bongos were £35, so if this game is ONE SINGLE PENNY more expensive than £40 i'm not buying it.

Ian SaneJanuary 10, 2008

"It is known, however, that Nintendo is thinking about redesigning the Wii Balance Board to allow heavier players to use it since the Japanese Wii Balance board only supports users up to 300 pounds of weight."

Gee you figure with sumo wrestling and all the Japanese would think to design something that could take more weight. face-icon-small-wink.gif I don't care if they redesign it or not. 300 pounds is a pretty reasonable limit. People who weight more than that already probably have difficulty with finding clothes that fit them and fitting in stadium or theatre seats. No Wii Fit is just part of the price you pay for being ridiculously unhealthy. If a stronger board ended up costing the consumer more money I don't think it would be fair for everyone under 300 which would be a lot of people. I'm not in good shape but I still would need to put on over 100 pounds to be too heavy.

Wii Prostate Exam would probably be a million seller in Japan so I'm not surprised about this. If it didn't sell this well it would be a minor disaster.

Quote

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Wii Prostate Exam would probably be a million seller in Japan so I'm not surprised about this.


No. Please no. And Emphatically No.

StogiJanuary 10, 2008

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Actually, Brain Age did its worst in the US. It's actually doing gangbusters in Europe in comparison! So yeah, the US will probably be the most difficult market for Wii Fit.


That's not very perceptive. Training you mind is one thing; training your body is entirely different.

Do you know how many diet or diet pill commercials I see a day? At least 25, and I watch AT MOST 4 hours of tv a day.

Americans are ALL about perception. Image is very important and you can tell by how well diet plans are doing.

IceColdJanuary 10, 2008

And clearly, brains aren't very important.. face-icon-small-wink.gif

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterJanuary 10, 2008

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Actually, Brain Age did its worst in the US. It's actually doing gangbusters in Europe in comparison! So yeah, the US will probably be the most difficult market for Wii Fit.


Um, 2 million + for Brain Age ain't so bad, especially for a niche title aimed at casual and old gamers.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement