Author Topic: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.  (Read 83260 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2021, 06:26:32 PM »
I don't understand why they didn't announce this when they announced that the website store was closing for PS3/Vita

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2021, 04:45:42 PM »
I am in shock that they actually reversed their decision on the PS3/Vita store.  I guess lots of people were buying stuff before it disappeared and the suits saw the sales figures and decided to keep things going.

I was planning on buying the Mega Man Legends games before July 1 but now I can get the first one and see if I like it first without pressure to grab the sequel and Tron Bonne at the same time.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »
I was planning on buying the Mega Man Legends games before July 1 but now I can get the first one and see if I like it first without pressure to grab the sequel and Tron Bonne at the same time.

I bought Mega Man Legends 2 and Tron Bonne as PS1 classics through PSN. I played 2 on PS3 and thought it was better than Mega Man Legends 1. I am playing Tron Bonne on Vita now as they are both cross buy.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »
Gotta give Sony props.  No way Nintendo would have reversed course on a public decision like this.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
There were apparently devs who literally just bought a Vita Devkit right before the announcement was made. The whole thing was a trainwreck.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2021, 07:50:49 PM »
There were apparently devs who literally just bought a Vita Devkit right before the announcement was made. The whole thing was a trainwreck.

This is probably what convinced them.  Could they potentially have gotten sued for that?  This was probably a situation where the left hand didn't know what the right was doing so they decided to pull the plug without realizing that dev kits were still being sold.  I'll bet they're not selling dev kits anymore and they'll resume ending the store once they've reached the minimum amount of time the lawyers have determined would be sufficient to cover their butts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 11:31:17 PM »
Considering how many server issues they had, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to capitalize on the PS3 and Vita's exclusive content. I could see them roping some sap into making an "Only on PS3 Download" section of the store for when they try to close it again.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2021, 09:49:08 PM »
Apparently you still won't be able to submit new Vita games after July so **** you indie devs who bought a Vita Devkit in 2021.

Sauce

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
They are probably aiming for closing the stores in summer 2022. They must want a year with nothing new added before that happens. Meanwhile you still can't easily obtain a PS5.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2022, 12:29:39 AM »
So Grand Turismo 7 pulled an EA/Activision and patched in microtransactions after launch.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2024, 01:40:18 AM »
So how about that PS5 Pro announcement guys? Surely Sony has finally humbled themselves right?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2024, 01:53:32 AM »
I don't understand why they didn't announce this when they announced that the website store was closing for PS3/Vita

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, announcing a $700 console with a necessary $80 add-on and a $30 stand without showing a single compelling reason to buy it in a particularly poor economic climate. Let's see if it pays off for them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2024, 02:16:02 AM »
The $80 add-on is most definitely not necessary.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2024, 07:16:08 PM »

Exactly. No one is going to be buying that thing....

Oh.

OH NO!!!!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2024, 09:34:52 PM »
I'm not saying it's useless or nobody will want it, but it's completely optional. A lot of people have gone digital only.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2024, 01:27:10 AM »

The estimated 280 PS4 & PS5 discs sitting on my wall right now would disagree with that sentiment, as will many "digital only" people when those incarnations of the PlayStation Network no longer exist or when certain titles get pulled for licensing rights.

I understand what you mean, but anyone with the kind of money to contemplate buying something like the Pro is probably more invested in the PlayStation ecosystem in other ways, too, as evidenced by the aforementioned disc drive selling out.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 01:31:36 AM by broodwars »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2024, 02:36:41 PM »
Even for people who want to go Digital Only, a $700 console is still insane for what's just a mid-gen upgrade.  I'm sorry but when I watch the presentation of this thing, the side by side comparisons were the very definition of splitting hairs.

This whole thing feels like Sony has seen how popular PC gaming has gotten in recent years, one of the reasons why they even port their own games to PC now, and is trying to make something that appeals to that audience and thinks they can get away with a price tag that high.  The only problem is Sony doesn't seem to realize that their system doesn't offer the other benefits that an actual PC offers, which is why people are willing to pay more for PC's since they can do more then just play games on it.  Plus they do realize that if their own games are being ported to PC's, why would anyone pay that much for a PS5 Pro when they can spend more to get a PC that will also play a lot of Microsoft's games as well.  People who want the best graphics possible will just go PC since it's literally offering much of the same as the PS5, plus a lot more.

I also find it really funny how the PS5 was marketed as such a powerful system at launch, and yet many of its games still had PS4 version released.  Even to this day, there's only been 21 exclusive PS5 games announced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games

Keep in mind some of these titles like Marvel's Wolverine haven't even been released yet, and other titles like Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Stellar Blade have PC ports that are coming.  Seriously, Sony hasn't even justified the PS5's reason for even existing even though it's been on the market for close to 4 years now, and now they're asking people to spends an insane amount of money to get the experience that they originally promised with the PS5 at launch.

Hell, you also have to wonder how many developers will even try to take full advantage of the PS5 Pro's power.  We already know these major companies have been struggling with how expensive AAA development has become, which is why even Sony has been laying people off and closing studio's to save cost.  So for a system like the PS5 Pro that will be lucky if it even sells half of what the Wii U sold, just how much effort and cost will really be put into it's upgrade, which will make it even more pointless then it already is?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 02:38:23 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2024, 01:34:26 AM »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2024, 03:54:54 AM »
I think it's worth mentioning in all this that Sony, for the 2nd time this year, showed the terrifying and predictable aspect of the Shiny Digital Future by going into every player's library who owned Concord and forcibly removing it from their account. The last time this happened was with the Stellar Blade demo that was accidentally released a month early, so I got to see this happen first-hand.

Sure, it was "only" a dead game and an early demo, and people who bought Concord were forced to receive a refund. It was only that this time, but you can be sure that we'll never see a P.T. situation ever again, where people were allowed to just hold onto a game that the publishers don't want around anymore.

Incidentally, when P.T. got yanked, you lost your ability to redownload it, even though you "bought" it. Enjoy those digital-only PS5 Pros, kids.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 03:58:10 AM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2024, 06:29:40 PM »
I am more than capable of getting things that game publishers and platform holders don't want me to have on my consoles and handhelds already so them hypothetically deciding to take away my digital purchases is but a mild inconvenience.