Author Topic: a thing nintendo should do..  (Read 4744 times)

Offline )Dark-LInk(

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
a thing nintendo should do..
« on: May 22, 2003, 02:58:55 PM »
Since now nintendo has the GCP and i know it wil sell well why dosnt nintendo just include it in their new gen console?I mean put it in there! I think that that move alone with the GC'S backward compac wil sell gc2 like mad!if they did this and of course and AD it alot! do ya think it can bring nintendo back on top?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 03:03:22 PM »
If Ninty decides to make their next system backwards-compatiable, I'm almost positive it will be able to work with the GB Player.(Hope I got your question answered )
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: a thing nintendo should do..
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 03:18:56 PM »
Cost, that's why.  Making it optional keeps the cost down for those that don't want it.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 03:57:13 PM »
I say why not just make a GCN player for Nintendo's next console that will play both GCN and GBA games?  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 05:03:05 PM »
its possible to perfectly emulate n64 games on gc...the problem is that because they were on carts the pickle is whic ones to release for gcn. Ocarina of time for gamecube i beleive is basically n64 ocarina emulated with a few graphic tweaks...with gcn which will probably have an even more similar system architechture then n64/gcn and the next systerm there should be abouletly no probem mak9ing it compatable. Just because psx and ps2 have certain problems does not mean that gamecubes predecessor and xbox's predecessor will have sucgh problems.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 06:14:58 PM »
I wonder if Ninty's next controller will have more buttons than the Cubes. That seems to be the main problem porting 64 games.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 09:45:16 PM »
i wish there were buttons underneath where the d-pad and the c-stick are....you could use them for switching weopons....strafing...or pinball

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 06:06:33 AM »

i wish there were buttons underneath where the d-pad and the c-stick are....you could use them for switching weopons....strafing...or pinball

Two trigger under the controller would be nice (Like the dreamcast controllers). They would be pretty easy to use while not getting in the way of the other buttons/sticks.

I dont think that the GC2 should have a Gameboy Player included. Extra cost aside, it would make all the gameboy Player we are all going to buy worthless. All they need to do is make the GC2 able to have the Gameboy Player connect to it the same as the GCN. That way if you already have one it will not go to waste. And the GC2 could be a little cheaper. Then when they launch the GCN they can offer a choice of a free game or a free Gameboy Player with the system. Then at launch they can have Metroid 3, a new Mario Game, a new Mario Kart Game, Pokemon RPG, another F-zero, Zelda... That would be cool, it will never happen, but it would be very cool.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 07:50:02 AM »
it should also have a built in ethernet adapter...also if your on 56k your nuts..your paying more for less. By the next generation i hope most people have adopted broadband..most people in my city have.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 02:03:37 PM »

Originally posted by: DRJ
Then at launch they can have Metroid 3, a new Mario Game, a new Mario Kart Game, Pokemon RPG, another F-zero, Zelda... That would be cool, it will never happen, but it would be very cool.

ehm, why would they want super metroid available for the next gen system at launch? sorry to nit pick but metroid 3 = Super Metroid on SNES, i sure hope that they dont just have metroid prime 1 2 3 4 5 etc and continue with the current metroid storyline/numbering system, NES metroid = metroid 1, GB metroid = metroid 2, Snes metroid = metroid 3, metroid fusion = metroid 4, Next Gen Nintendo metroid = metroid 5 or atleast i hopeso
metroid prime is great, but i rekon they should carry on with the storyline for the next installment of metroid.

one thing nintendo could do is release different version for their next console, like the multiplayer pack, have 4 controllers and a kick ass multiplayer game for a higher price than the regular console but cheeper than buying the console 4 controllers and the multiplayer game seperatly

also the perm
56k is standard in australia because broadband isn't widely available, cable is only available in the big cities, ADSL is more available but alot more expensive than dial up, for instance i was paying $24 a month for dialup where as its like $75-90 amonth for Cable/ADSL, hopefully that will change by 2005, but i doubt it

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 08:43:02 PM »
i love what they did with metroid pime! their goal was to have an old school metroid game that felt like super metroid! so what they did is they just made a game based b4 super metroid, there fore they could make it more old school! now that they've established that they can do what ever they want! hell, on the big systems they just might keep it to side storys and have the side scrolling metroid asthe ones that progress the story!

but i think eventualy we will see a side scrolling metroid on one of the bigger councils
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 11:23:03 PM »
oh oh oh dont get me wrong, i love metroid prime, it feels exactly like super metroid but extrapolated into the 3rd dimension. i adore it, but in terms of story i think it would be better to progress with the story line from the end of fusion.
to me it would seem a bit silly to have lots of side stories when they have a perfectly good story to continue on with, allthough if they did a metroid revolving around the "Adam" character that could be cool also, unless metroid 1 or 2 were about that? i didn't play them :\ (i will some day)

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2003, 07:56:08 AM »

Originally posted by: WesDawg
I wonder if Ninty's next controller will have more buttons than the Cubes. That seems to be the main problem porting 64 games.

Miyamoto did say he wished this to be the standard controller for every Nintendo console from now on.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2003, 01:27:11 PM »
Really?  That'd be great if they were backward-compatible... I hate having to buy new controllers for each system.  

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2003, 02:00:26 PM »
if they included the GBP built in to cube 2 at launch it would be great even if cost was a bit more.

figure  ad 50 to the price and it will still more then likely be less the the ps3 and xbox2 but have a built in gameboy player, a hell of a deal if you ask me.

that with backwards compatibility and some good launch titles and i'm sold.

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2003, 02:15:14 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
its possible to perfectly emulate n64 games on gc...the problem is that because they were on carts the pickle is whic ones to release for gcn. Ocarina of time for gamecube i beleive is basically n64 ocarina emulated with a few graphic tweaks...with gcn which will probably have an even more similar system architechture then n64/gcn and the next systerm there should be abouletly no probem mak9ing it compatable.

Actually, OOT and MQ on GCN are ports.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2003, 02:17:46 PM »
No, they are emulated.  It's possible to play the GCN versions on an N64 if you have the right hardware.  (or software).

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2003, 02:23:43 PM »
You know what's fun?
Knowing people with Nintendo GCN Dev stuff.
I can assure you that the GCN versions of OOT and MQ are ports.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2003, 02:28:07 PM »
Explain why you can run the GCN version of Ocarina of Time in an emulator without issue then.  

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2003, 02:54:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Explain why you can run the GCN version of Ocarina of Time in an emulator without issue then.  

People wrote N64 emulators.

I'm not arguing the fact whether or not OOT can or cannot be emulated 'without issue', I'm arguing that the versions of OOT and MQ on the GCN have been ported and are not being emulated.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2003, 03:05:01 PM »
The ROM for Ocarina of Time: Master Quest was ripped from the GCN disc.  The game runs on N64 emulators.  If it was a port, it wouldn't run on an N64 emulator.

Also, there are some VERY clear signs that it's being emulated on the GCN.  For example, the load time at the beginning of the game.  It's clearly loading the ROM of the game into memory, and that can be confirmed by opening up your disc cover while playing it.  Since it's being run from memory, you can play as long as you want without the disc.

Another sign is the saving.  It's not a part of the game, and you can see where the emulation is paused, and the call for the saving is handled elsewhere, then the emulation is resumed once the saving is complete.

Yes, in all likelihood the emulator used for Ocarina of Time on GCN is not usable with other games, and in that way it COULD be considered a port, but I think that it's a misuse of the word when the N64 ROM is clearly present on the disc.

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2003, 07:26:25 PM »
That rom of MQ was not ripped from the Bonus Disk. It was dumped by an insider from Nintendo. There are no N64 roms on the GCN MQ disk.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 07:51:25 PM »
If you look on pg 2 of the bonus disk's instruction manual, it says that the game is indeed a port.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2003, 02:16:10 PM »

Originally posted by: grap3fruitman
That rom of MQ was not ripped from the Bonus Disk. It was dumped by an insider from Nintendo. There are no N64 roms on the GCN MQ disk.

I was told otherwise....  but I guess that neither of us can prove it.

However, it should be mentioned that the MQ ROM does have all the GameCube graphics in it regarding the controls on the top of the screen.  Things such as... the L button instead of the Z button...