Author Topic: Zelda II: F#(k This Game!!!!!!!  (Read 12928 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Zelda II: F#(k This Game!!!!!!!
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »
Lets forget about the fact that you have to start from the beginning everytime you time and travel your way back to wherever it was you just died at.

I was in 12 exp. points away from leveling up after skipping the last two (2000pt Attack powerup - skipped 1200 & 1500 to get to it) and I was in a battle where I needed to use my shield spell and my finger accidentally hit the power button.... FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUUU NINTENDO!!!!
The 3DS closed the game and set my back to the last save point which was aiming for 700pt power up. I had been working on that since earlier in the day and didn't save because I hated traveling back to the swamps again.

It's bad enough that the 3DS is too small for my hands, but do you really need to place power button in the path to the very often used (for this game atleast) start button? Can we get a firmware update that changes an ingame power button push to a suspend state till it's determined by the user that they do want to shut the system down?

Is there anyway to skip back up to the experience I had without having to grind again?
This is bullshit and I'm ready to give up on this game again like I did so many damn years ago.

I think I might fire up Metroid and give that the chance it never got back when I was young instead.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda II: F#(k This Game!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:59:55 AM »
Lets forget about the fact that you have to start from the beginning everytime you time and travel your way back to wherever it was you just died at.

Everytime you time?  Meta.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:04 AM »
I believe the power button did practically nothing with the initial firmware and only showed the shutdown dialog. Guess Nintendo realized that a button doing nothing was kinda useless.

The start and select buttons on the 3DS are generally garbage, I have a very hard time pressing A+B+S+S in Link's Awakening too.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:14:25 AM »
I believe the power button did practically nothing with the initial firmware and only showed the shutdown dialog. Guess Nintendo realized that a button doing nothing was kinda useless.

The start and select buttons on the 3DS are generally garbage, I have a very hard time pressing A+B+S+S in Link's Awakening too.

For GB and GBC games you can use the Y button as the select button.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:16:24 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
I tried all of the Ambassador Program games and the only one I liked/still liked was Super Mario Bros. which suffers due to the controls. Still, they were free so there are no hard feelings and I'm sure I'll try them again. I'm eagerly waiting for the updates and the GBA games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUUU NINTENDO!!!!

Wasn't this one of those games you got for FREE by EXPLOITING a loophole in the Ambassador program?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:04:30 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
Yeah, you Scambasador.

>.>

<.<

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
I had a version of the US manual that said you would start at whatever castle you last beat.  Later manuals had that part corrected.  At one point Nintendo recognized the problem and it didn't get in.  This game would be a lot better if the save system was revamped.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUUU NINTENDO!!!!

Wasn't this one of those games you got for FREE by EXPLOITING a loophole in the Ambassador program?

Depending on how you look at it, I didn't exploit a loophole in the ambassador program, I exploited a 30 day price match policy at the big box retailers. I still bought a 3DS at full price and connected it to the internet before the required date.

But even if I got the game for free, what difference does that make? It's not like I didn't own this game 20something years ago and hated it then too. I cursing Nintendo for the bad placement of the start button and the no (current) button mapping on the VC games.
I'm sorta upset because the 3DS is too small for my hands so shifting my hands to not only grip the thing to play, but then again to hit that start button was already bad enough.

I'm really upset because after all these years, auto save is feature I've just taken for granted.
Save states are an announced feature that haven't been included yet, and I just lost atleast 1-2 hours worth of repetitious grinding and castle crawling that I really don't want to do over again even though I really want to beat this game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
That's why I'm waiting to play Metroid or Zelda 1/2 until we get real save states. :D

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
It's interesting to think that both Zelda II and SMB2 (ie: Lost Levels) sucked.  Miyamoto is widely considered a genius but for his two big franchises he royally fudged the first sequel.  Maybe the real testament to his genius is his ability to move on from that and make some of the greatest games of all time with the third installments.

Regarding the power button, what was wrong with the GBA method?  It had a sliding switch on the side and then for some reason they went with the button on the face for the DS.  You the hell accidently turned their GBA off?  It seemed like a foolproof method.  You don't want the power button to be mistaken for normal controller button.  Nintendo's post-DS design for these things comes across like a rookie design mistake.  You figure Nintendo, the masters of handheld consoles would have this stuff figured out.

Nintendo is notorious for not offering button mapping.  I don't know if it's laziness or some weird powertrip control thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
I should also mention that if you happen to do the 2nd controller trick so that you can save, you don't get to continue playing..... You get taken back to the game starting point and have to work your way all the way back to the area/dungeon you were just in all over again.

Continue
Save
Save & Continue (<---the missing option)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
Maybe the problem is Nintendo's chief engineer is now the head of the company as a whole, so my theory is Iwata's old position is now being filled by someone less competent. Its the equivalent of Kirk and Spock both being either gone or incapacitated and Scotty commanding the ship instead. The question is, if Scotty is commanding the ship then who is running things in engineering? And I think that's how it is with Nintendo. Ever since Iwata moved from being chief engineer to ship's captain it left a gaping hole in Nintendo's engineering. Who is running things there now? Some nameless disposable red shirt. That's who.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Interesting theory, but Iwata worked at HAL, not Nintendo, before he was an executive.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Zelda 2 really isn't a bad game.  Just a frustrating one squarely due to the save system.  Save states will greatly enhance that game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Yeah, I have a theory that Nintendo made some bad design decisions on the 3DS so that they can later release a revision that addresses these kinds of issues. The power button is in a pretty bad place, it should be moved to where the Start/Select buttons are now, or even combined with the Home button since I don't see a reason for both to exist. Then, Start and Select should be where the Power button is.

I liked Zelda II but I recognize that it has issues, mostly due to the limitations and design philosophies of the NES. Very few NES games have aged well and are still playable today. Of the ten offered, Super Mario Brothers is actually the most playable... and it's the oldest one on the list!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
I don't have a problem with the power button, and I would have to go out of my way to hit it. Unless your hands are like the size of Shaq's, I honestly don't see how you could accidentally hit it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
I don't have a problem with the power button, and I would have to go out of my way to hit it. Unless your hands are like the size of Shaq's, I honestly don't see how you could accidentally hit it.
I will counter argue that I can press all 4 buttons at the same time with my thumb with ease.  Making the button layout not bad for me.  I've hit the Power Button trying to get the Start button.  Its about the same motion for me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
When I first got my 3DS, I hit the power button all the time out of habit because it's right where Start/Select is on the DSi.
Yeah, I have a theory that Nintendo made some bad design decisions on the 3DS so that they can later release a revision that addresses these kinds of issues.
I don't think they'd do that on purpose. There are any number of reasons to redesign a product without poorly designing something deliberately. Who says Nintendo even really needs a reason other than it will help sales?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
I've been playing Zelda II a bit over the past couple days.  I haven't even beaten the first palace, but I've found a heart and magic jar, then decided to go learn Life before beating the first palace, wondering why I never thought of that before.  Mostly what I've found is that the 3DS's controls make the game much harder than it ever was before.

When I played this on my GameCube, I found the analog stick really good for the game.  That was the first time that I ever looked forward to fighting blue Ironknuckles, since it made me feel like such a bamf blocking all their attacks effortlessly while I cut them down.  On the 3DS, I was nearly killed by some bits and a Stalfos.  A Stalfos can't even attack low!  There is no challenge to blocking them, or at least there's not supposed to be.  There seems to be something about where the circle pad's thresholds between left/right and up/down are that I just can't feel out instinctively.  It's really obvious on the world map when I start walking back and forth left and right when I'm trying to move down.  The D-pad is more accurate, but it's not even remotely comfortable to use.

The power button hasn't been a problem yet, and I really like having Y act as select, although that makes me wonder why X can't be start.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Of the ten offered, Super Mario Brothers is actually the most playable... and it's the oldest one on the list!
Except for Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, DK Jr., and Wrecking Crew...
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
I don't think they'd do that on purpose. There are any number of reasons to redesign a product without poorly designing something deliberately. Who says Nintendo even really needs a reason other than it will help sales?
It's probably just me being pessimistic for no reason. There are other possibilities of course, like maybe they just wanted to design it differently than the previous DS systems just to be different. In any case, it doesn't feel like the designers of the system actually used it, since I realized most of its issues after five minutes of playing.

Of the ten offered, Super Mario Brothers is actually the most playable... and it's the oldest one on the list!
Except for Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, DK Jr., and Wrecking Crew...
Hm, I thought they all released alongside or after Super Mario Brothers but I'm probably thinking of US release dates and you're talking Japanese ones.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
Hm, I thought they all released alongside or after Super Mario Brothers but I'm probably thinking of US release dates and you're talking Japanese ones.
[/quote]

You also forgot about the arcade. SMB first released on the NES in September 1985 (Japan). Ice Climbers was released in arcades in 1984, Balloon Fight in 1984, Donkey Kong Jr. in 1983, Wrecking Crew never in arcades. If you go by just the NES releases, WC came out 3 months before SMB, DK Jr. 26 months earlier (June 1983, compared to September 1985 for SMB), IC by 8 months, BF by 8 months too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty foggy on the dates of the others, I just knew that Super Mario Brothers was an NES launch title and went from there. I probably should have gone with "one of the oldest" as I had originally planned to write.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
I think it's hilarious because I've never accidently hit the power button. And I've owned a DSi since the DSi launch! Actually, it does help that my power button doesn't work half the time.