Author Topic: How do you carry your 3DS with you?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
How do you carry your 3DS with you?
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
Bought a 3DS last week to take advantage of the Ambassador program. I wasn't sure about getting the launch models due to short battery life and reports that hinges/screens aren't designed to last... but figured that with the price drop and free games it was worth trying. But last night I had a real scare.

Long Story
After walking around the mall to earn some coins and hoping for a StreetPass tag (didn't happen) I took the 3DS out of my pocket and opened it up. The bottom screen was fine but the upper screen was completely blank. Opened and closed the system again, turned it on and off, still nothing.

Only after carefully pressing on the corners of the upper lid and gently twisting did the image come back - and it took a great deal of effort to make it appear correctly. At first the image only appeared as individual lines that were repeating across the screen, then it flashed in and out, then it looked ok for a minute before going dark again and I had to start over. Loose connection? Cheap build quality? Your guess is as good as mine. All I can say is that it wasn't under any undue stress or unusual conditions.

This never happened with my DS Lite. It was built tougher and could be carried in my pocket without any ill effects. Obviously the same can't be said for this new system though: this system that was supposedly intended to be carried with you as a pedometer and for StreetPass/SpotPass connections. Hmm....

TLDR;
Anyway, how do other people here carry their 3DS with them? Has anyone else had a similar experience, where the 3DS seemed to fragile to carry with you? The last thing I want is to break the darned thing within a week of buying it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: How do you carry your 3DS with you?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
The few times over the past 2 weeks I've taken my 3DS with me I put it in a sleeve that the original PSP came packaged with (a friend who worked at Gamecrazy gave it to me since it had no trade value) and put it in my pocket.

It's worked well since I bought it except 2 occasions. The first: I flipped open the system and nothing happened. The power and WiFi lights were on but neither screen lit up. I had to hold the power button down until it turned off and I just turned it back on. The second: one night I charged it and didn't play a single game and the next day when I played Resident Evil for like 15 minutes, the battery was in the red. It charged for 3 hours. I haven't the slightest clue what happened there. Otherwise, it's worked as expected. I got a little nervous because nothing of the sort ever happened with previous Nintendo handhelds I've owned. Granted, 3DS is more sophisticated hardware. I suppose I'm used to their durability.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »
I've been carrying my 3DS in my right front pocket every work day since about a week after the launch.  Haven't had any problems.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
Well- first off if you encounter that problem again you should contact NOA. If you've registered your system then they will repair it for free. I've never had any issue with my 3DS though every time I play a game I begin to pray and hope that the shoulder buttons don't give out on me. They're always the first to go on my systems.

Lastly: I've got one of the DS pouches from Club Nintendo. It's soft and durable so whatever's in my bag won't scratch it or anything- otherwise I just carry it in my pocket.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've started carrying my system in one of the pouches from Club Nintendo too. But the same issue happened one morning after taking my 3DS off the charger - even though it was working fine the night before. Between that and what others have said, I'm pretty there is just a loose connection or something causing the problem.

Next time it happens I'll definitely call Nintendo and get the handheld fixed properly. No sense in holding onto a possibly defective system.
NNID: ejamer

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
I carry mine in a psp pouch, fits perfectly.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
I carry mine in a psp pouch, fits perfectly.
BLASPHEMY!

Offline sambskn

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
After a day of having mine, I started to get nervous about scratching the outside of it (my old SP just looks horrible) and stuck it in an old Pikachu Gameboy Color case, in which it fits perfectly. Here's a photo I found with google of the case.

http://www.videogamemm.com/main/sites/default/files/images/P1010017_0.preview.JPG

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »
I just keep it in a pants pocket or in a side pouch in my book bag.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
The Club Nintendo pouch.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline sambskn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
So the Club Nintendo pouches really are worth getting? Red or Blue?

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
So the Club Nintendo pouches really are worth getting? Red or Blue?

We've got both in my house and I really like them. Depending on what color you get will determine which 8 bit Mario patch you'll get (it's on the corner of the pouch, not an actual patch). The Blue one has Mario just standing and the Red one has Mario walking. Both are reversible and the color is the same light gray.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
I find the Club Nintendo pouch to be very useful in a fairly stupid way. Instead of carrying the system in it, I drape it over the system while it's in the charging cradle so the lights don't bother me at night.

As for the question of the thread, I just keep it in my pocket along with a six-game case thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »
It happened to me exept with the touch screen
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline DanielM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
I take my 3DS everywhere with me. I have that soft pouch that you get from club Nintendo and just have it in my backpack. I'm at the college all the time so it's the perfect opportunity to get streetpasses with my games. And when I get home I just drop it on the dock.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer