Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 180005 times)

Offline Sirmorphix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #875 on: March 15, 2004, 01:28:02 AM »
Well I just wrapped up hard mode in about 4 hours.  It would appear that the classic "Tuxedo" bonus is still in the game.  I guess tomorrow I start working on more dog tags on extreme...  I'm kind of debating just quickly surfing through Easy and Very Easy first to try and figure out where I keep missing my 3 or so dog tags.

Plus has anyone gotten the camera yet?  I seem to remember that it was unlocked by beating the game once in the original PSX version, but after finishing the game twice and having nearly 50 dog tags, I was hoping that I would've unlocked more than Bandana, Stealth and Tuxedo.  Any info on the bonus unlockables in TTS?
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 15, 2004, 02:08:38 AM »
You actually have to find the camera in the game.  IIRC, you need a level 6 card key to get it, and it's in the hall next to where you find Baker.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 15, 2004, 05:52:30 AM »
man...i don't remember the psx MGS beign so hard...still damn fun  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #878 on: March 15, 2004, 08:18:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Sirmorphix
Well I just wrapped up hard mode in about 4 hours.  It would appear that the classic "Tuxedo" bonus is still in the game.  I guess tomorrow I start working on more dog tags on extreme...  I'm kind of debating just quickly surfing through Easy and Very Easy first to try and figure out where I keep missing my 3 or so dog tags.

Plus has anyone gotten the camera yet?  I seem to remember that it was unlocked by beating the game once in the original PSX version, but after finishing the game twice and having nearly 50 dog tags, I was hoping that I would've unlocked more than Bandana, Stealth and Tuxedo.  Any info on the bonus unlockables in TTS?

you get stealth from Otacon right? My friend told me how to get it in the PSX version, is it the same and if it is, does it matter when you Start +A

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 15, 2004, 09:34:09 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm

Hmm... if anything, this version is a lot easier than the PSX one.  The ability to use your Socom in first-person makes taking out guards, cameras, and turrets a whole lot easier.  In this version, you didn't need to rely on stealth that much to get around.  

In the original, you weren't able to just shoot a guard in the head with the socom; you actually had to run near him and open fire.  Another thing that was hard was that you actually more of a reliance on Chaff Grenades.  You can't just stand out of the range of cameras and turrets and shoot them out.  For levels where you had to go through repeatedly -- which is a majority of the game -- this can make the game very hard.

Aside from shooting in the first-person perspective, did anybody use the other MGS 2 ability?  The hanging on ledges one.  I did not use it once in the game, and I'm curious to know if anybody else incorporated it into their stealth strategy and if so, where at?

Another gripe I have with the game is that they took out the music that plays after you defeated Sniper Wolf.  What is up with that?  Once I took her out, I upped the volume on the television in anticipation of listening to it, but was greatly saddened when it didn't play.  Why? Why would they do such a thing?

All in all, I like this game a lot.  The visuals are gorgeous, and the voice acting is excellent.  This difficulty in the game is pretty good, but it is nowhere near the level of the original.

Edit: Typos and grammar and missing words

500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 15, 2004, 09:57:14 AM »
I used the other abilities... the hiding in the lockers, dragging guards' bodies and jumping over ledges.

SPOILER

Example: The jumping over ledge thing is really useful in the tank hangar... you can use it to wait until the guard comes and leaves. You can also use it to drop straight down there and bypass a guard patrol and a camera.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 15, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn

Originally posted by: ThePerm

Hmm... if anything, this version is a lot easier than the PSX one.  The ability to use your Socom in first-person makes taking out guards, cameras, and turrets a whole lot easier.  In this version, you didn't need to rely on stealth that much to get around.  

In the original, you weren't able to just shoot a guard in the head with the socom; you actually had to run near him and open fire.  Another thing that was hard was that you actually more of a reliance on Chaff Grenades.  You can't just stand out of their range and shoot them out.  For levels where you had to go through repeatedly -- which is a majority of the game -- this can make the game very hard.

Aside from shooting in the first-person perspective, did anybody use the other MGS 2 ability?  The hanging on ledges one.  I did not use it once in the game, and I'm curious to know if anybody else incorporated it into their stealth strategy and if so, where at?

Another gripe I have with the game is that they took out the music that plays after you defeated Sniper Wolf.  What is up with that?  Once I took her out, I upped the volume on the television in anticipation of listening to it, but was greatly saddened when it didn't play.  Why? Why would they do such a thing?

All in all, I like this game a lot.  The visuals are gorgeous, and the voice acting is excellent.  This difficulty in the game is pretty good, but it is nowhere near the level of the original.

I think this game is honestly probably about as difficult as the original PSX version.  While the stealth elements are a lot easier, mainly thanks to FPS mode, however some of the guards seem much more aware than in the original.  I find that most of the new MGS2 abilities only really come into use when you're trying to get Dog Tags, which I've been informed do not actually serve a purpose for unlocking bonuses and are just for fun.  Pretty disapointing.

While I originally thought this game was easier than the original PSX version, I'm finding that my completion times are comparable, about 4 hours on hard mode.  I'm not sure what it is, I honestly believe that I'm just having a harder time with a few guards and a couple dog tags, and it's keeping my time up, once I complete my Dog Tag collection I figure I can get my time down to at least 3 hours or so.  
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:10 AM »
I just finished on very easy mode.  This is my first time ever playing a Metal Gear game.  Playing on that mode was probably good for me, it got me used to the control, a look at the enviorments, and feel for what I need to do.  Now I am gonna start on Normal mode, which from the sounds of things, is gonna be alot harder.  There ratio of gameplay to cut scenes is the only real gripe I had, the cut scenes were very well done, but for every hour of gameplay, there is about 2 hours of cut scenes.  The Psycho Mantis fight is crazy, but very cool.  This game pulled me in, and is a gamecube favorite of mine.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 15, 2004, 12:19:10 PM »
I just read a few reviews and from the sound of it the game's view isnt very good, only allwoing you to see 10 ft in front of you.

Is it any different from the originals view ?
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 15, 2004, 12:24:16 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
I just read a few reviews and from the sound of it the game's view isnt very good, only allwoing you to see 10 ft in front of you.

Is it any different from the originals view ?

What?  What're you talking about only being able to see 10ft?  Maybe if you're staring at a wall from 10ft away, otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2004, 12:36:54 PM »
What?  What're you talking about only being able to see 10ft?  Maybe if you're staring at a wall from 10ft away, otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about.

Its from CVG's review.

They complain that Snake can never really see more than 10ft in front of him.

It doesnt matter me , and from the sounds of it the Reviewer needs to see a couniler about the death of his hampster.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 15, 2004, 12:40:18 PM »
I assure you, Snake can see much farther than 10 feet. I have no clue why CVG would think otherwise.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 15, 2004, 12:45:05 PM »
"I just read a few reviews and from the sound of it the game's view isnt very good, only allwoing you to see 10 ft in front of you."

I'm not sure if it's different from the original but the camera angles are all fixed so sometimes you have to rely on your radar to tell where enemies are.  So I guess you could say that in some parts you can only see 10 ft in front of you.  But you can switch to first person view at any time so you're not blind.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #888 on: March 15, 2004, 06:55:52 PM »
Well realistically you shouldn't be able to see very far ahead of you outside in the blinding snow...

Also, I beat it yesterday. It was fantastic. Expect a full review on the site in the coming days. This will be our "MGS Newbie" review (even though I've played lots of MGS2 before MGS1 is almost completly new to me) to compliment our "MGS Vet" review.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 15, 2004, 07:09:28 PM »

Also, I beat it yesterday. It was fantastic. Expect a full review on the site in the coming days. This will be our "MGS Newbie" review (even though I've played lots of MGS2 before MGS1 is almost completly new to me) to compliment our "MGS Vet" review.

That's one reason I love PGC so much- you always have multiple reviews for the same game giving people a very balanced perception of how well the game is coming from all different sides. It also helps them find a reviewer that matches their likes and dislikes in games which in turn helps them get a better idea of how they'll like the game personally. I'm not a huge fan of the one game one review system everyone else uses.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »
The thing I like about your reviews is that the score matches the review.

Maybe I'm just acridly cynical, but you can't find that on many sites nowadays.

Anyway, I've finished the game, having played the original many times over. If anything, I like this version more... it's the definitive version of the game. Like a collector's edition.

The cutscenes are over-the-top, but they're also bad-ass. And you can skip the codec conversations and boring cutscenes really fast once you see them the first time, which is cool. More games need that kind of stuff.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 19, 2004, 10:12:44 AM »
These aren't really spoilers, just tricksy Silicon Knights' references to other Nintendo related things.

Ok, so I assume we've all seen Mario, Yoshi, and the Gamecube in Otacon's lab, but I found another SK reference. I don't know if this is an isolated thing, but on the second floor of the tank hangar there is a door (level 2 or 3, I can't remember which) and inside are two computer screens. One has a blue background with some text. Blah blah blah. The OTHER is an image of SK's website with the little, um...ball design navigation thingies at the top. The larger image on the right is none other than the cover of Eternal Darkness, planets and all.

EDIT: Oh, yes. And I beat the game. It was, in one word, skookum. I don't think that's a word so we'll go with superb. I really liked the cutscenes and I hope there's a way to replay them like the cutscene menu in ED. The action sequences were better than any of the Matrix movies and possibly better than Xiao Xiao. Sadly, I got a total of 2 dog tags on easy mode (7%). And they were practically handed to me. I don't know what the bandana is for though. It is a MYSTERY!!! (to me. ) This is a must have Cube game.

Oh and is being called a Puma a BAD thing?  

EDITED EDIT: Someone mentioned being disappointed that the music from the death of Sniper Wolf was removed, and I just downloaded a piece of music with the same title. The music is exactly the same as the end credits music. Is this correct or was the music mislabeled?
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #892 on: March 19, 2004, 04:05:19 PM »
I've uploaded the cutscene where the Ninja "strolls" through the narrow, "guarded" hallway.

It's archived in the Media Blitz!! thread.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 19, 2004, 06:59:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Berny

EDITED EDIT: Someone mentioned being disappointed that the music from the death of Sniper Wolf was removed, and I just downloaded a piece of music with the same title. The music is exactly the same as the end credits music. Is this correct or was the music mislabeled?

Sniper Wolf's music is called 'Enclosure' and was not played at the ending credits. It is nowhere to be found.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 20, 2004, 04:14:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Berny

That one is mislabeled... I know since I've downloaded it myself in the past. It's actually 'The Best Is Yet To Come', which as you said is played during the end credits (and a couple of other places).
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 20, 2004, 10:04:23 AM »
Okay, so I listened to Enclosure and I don't know why but I am 90% certain I've heard that song somewhere. I don't know where, because I haven't played the original MGS. Anyway, its a really good piece of music.

So, does anyone know what the bandana does?
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 20, 2004, 10:41:34 AM »
Bandana = Unlimited Ammo

P.S - Sorry for short post ...but by me rambling on here its a not so short post ....ok ...sorry ....im a bit dillusuinal ( how do u spell that Bit**

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #897 on: March 20, 2004, 10:47:46 AM »
It's ok.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 20, 2004, 12:39:52 PM »
The bandanna is a very nice item, but personally I prefer the stealth camouflage. It's fun to just walk up to guards, punch them in the face and then watch as they look confused.  
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 20, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »
yeah when you start a new game, equip the bandana and every weapon you have will now contain unlimited ammo
i call the big one bitey.