Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 179995 times)

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #850 on: March 12, 2004, 09:08:22 AM »
and no longer can you snipe guards from a distance and just prance around freely, not worrying since everyone is dead.  now with the status reports, attack teams will back up a guard team and help investigate why a dispatched guard hasn't radioed in.  it really does make it more worth your while to take the time to sneak and hide and stay away from the guards as much as possible.

one disappointment i have is that though much has been added to the cutscenes (increasing the durations), the dialogue has remained "relatively" the same.  at times this results in pauses between sentences that aren't normally seen in conversations and make everything appear to move slowly.  just a little thing though and not at all a big deal.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #851 on: March 12, 2004, 02:26:40 PM »
The difficulty on Normal in this game is lovely.  My roomie previously exhausted MGS2 on Normal on numerous occasions, and he felt the challenge was noticeably higher in Twin Snakes, which made it all the more enjoyable.  I let him play through it first, and it took him 12 hours to reach the end, according to the game timer.

As for my playtime, it's my first MGS experience, I'm playing on Normal, snapping as many necks as possible is fun, even on attack team dudes, though the "choking" sound effect is *very* odd and should have been redone with a little bit of programming adjustments.

"UGH-UGH-UGH-UGH-UGH-UGH-UGH-UGH"  *SNAP!* *dies*

Overall, my Rainbow Six experience is carrying over quite well.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 12, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »

Jesus H christ is this game freaking hard. I played for 3 hours last night and havent gone anywhere. Mind you I am horrible at games, but this one really eats me up and spits me out. Oh yeah, AND ITS ON FREAKING EASY MODE!

I'm in the same boat. I contemplated playing the game on Normal mode, since I'm always up for a good challenge, but decided on Easy mode instead since I'm a stealth game n00b. I've been playing for almost an hour and it seems like the only thing I can do is die!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 12, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »
Yeah, I was on easy, and I found it near-impossible to get through to the other side of the first room.  I find that hiding behind the forklift is the best option...provided you can get there.  

Now, copy and paste time.

I'll say it right now, though, that the additions have a much bigger impact than you think. The aiming in first-person makes a profound difference, stealth is much more of a requirement, enemies are quite difficult even on the easy setting, and the hiding of bodies is also quite a large change. The boss fights are also different this time around. I just finished fighting Psycho Mantis, and I must say that he's quite a bit more fun this time around, if a little on the easy side.

Graphics-wise, everything is much nicer. Aside from a few weak moments, the animation is probably the best I've seen in a game, and while the facial animation isn't the greatest ever, it's far from horrible. Particle effects are also some of the nicest I've seen, and the bump-mapping looks great. There are also many filters used, mainly motion blur. The only gripe I have is the framerate, but even then, it's a small one. Most of the time (I'd guess around 75%) the game runs at a smooth 60 fps, but things tend to get choppy in combat situations, although it never really effects gameplay all that much, and I've never seen it go below 30 fps. These dips tend to also happen more often in outdoor areas, which are also much less frequent. Once you get used to it, you won't even notice the occasional drops.

Sound-wise, things are great. Voice-acting is again top-notch, although some characters' voices have changed (Mei Ling no longer has an accent, for instance), and there are a few awkward pauses. The music is perfect and fits every situation very nicely, although it's not quite as epic as what's seen in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. The audio quality is also very high, which is nice.

Anyway, I'll probably have something more detailed a bit later. Suffice to say that this is a must-buy, so long as you're not going to be offended by some of the more mature plot elements, as well as the somewhat excessive blood (though this may be turned off).

Offline Savatage

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 12, 2004, 05:13:43 PM »
Does this game have a feature that allows you to rewatch all the cutscenes like Eternal Darkness did? Is it worth a purchase or just rent due to the length?

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 12, 2004, 06:29:36 PM »
Yea once you beat the game you can view all the cutscenes from a menu. IMO it's worth a buy, just since it's only $40/$30 at Fry's, and it has so many difficulty levels and unlockables/bonus stuff.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 12, 2004, 06:30:55 PM »
I'd say that a purchase is good depending on what you want.  If you're unsure of if you'll like it or not, then I'd rent it.  However, there are lots of hidden easter eggs in the game and a few variations (no radar, lose the game if you get detected even once), so at least there's a bit of replay value in there.  Plus, it's always fun to just run through the game again.  It's not like you'll just play it once and then leave it forever.

At least, that's what I think.  Like I said, if you're uncertain, then rent it first.

As for the cutscenes question, I'm not sure...but it probably is in there once you've beaten the game.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 12, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »
I've finished this game earlier today and there's only one thing I did not like.  They've taken out Sniper Wolf's "Enclosure" song.  Those of you who have played the original on the PSOne know what I'm talking about.  It was my favorite one in the game and I was sooo looking forward to it.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 12, 2004, 08:51:35 PM »
I love the new cinemas.  I believe this might be the first time I have ever like watching any cimena scenes.  And it might be because they make them look like action movie horse crap, but I LIKE action movie horse crap.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 12, 2004, 10:03:36 PM »
Yikes I have no idea what you guys are talking about, I just wrapped up MGS:TTS in normal mode and I found it very straight forward and easy.  I'm hoping that Hard mode is going to ramp up the difficulty pretty high.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 12, 2004, 10:26:03 PM »
You can always try Game Over If You're Spotted mode, Sirmorphix, where the game immediately ends as soon as any guard or camera sees you.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 13, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
So, I'm curious. I really really hated Splinter Cell. Is TTS even worth a look in that case? Everyone says its such a classic game, I feel like I should play it.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 13, 2004, 06:07:45 PM »

Originally posted by: WesDawg
So, I'm curious. I really really hated Splinter Cell. Is TTS even worth a look in that case? Everyone says its such a classic game, I feel like I should play it.

Well I dont have TS yet , but I have played the original and I will say that MGS and SC even though in the same genre are completly different games.

MGS pace is alot more ...fast and has a deeper storyline. Its full of dialouge and cut scenes which are a blast to watch.

Dont hesistate to buy this game.  
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 13, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Splinter Cell was more of a puzzle game in my opinion, usually with one or two set paths to completion.  guards would only walk by when you passed a certain point, you could only do some moves when the game allowed you to (ie. wall splits), etc.  Metal Gear gives you a bit more freedom in that regard.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 13, 2004, 07:27:22 PM »
Anybody else completed the boss survival mode?  Took me a good 40 minutes to get through them all in total.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 13, 2004, 09:33:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Sirmorphix
Anybody else completed the boss survival mode?  Took me a good 40 minutes to get through them all in total.

Hehe ...wait till I get it , all records will be broken....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

P.S - ( Not that your bad ...but because Im That Damn Good ( sorry just thinkn bout HHH )

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 14, 2004, 07:34:50 AM »
Has anyone gotten past the second objective? ^_^ This game is so hard! I can't believe that some of you kids have already beaten this sucker. And I'm playing on EASY mode. It's a wonderful game, though.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 14, 2004, 07:57:06 AM »
I hereby declare this game to be by far the most fun to just plain screw around in.  Really, in the Hanger at the beginning, you can just play around for hours on end messing around with the guards, knocking them down stairs, over railings, etc..  Maybe I'm just easily amused, but considering that this is just one room and that I haven't grown bored after nearly six hours of doing this over and over, I'd say we've got some good replay value here.  

Oh, and I'm glad that they still have "the package" thing in there.  One of the more original things in a video game.

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 14, 2004, 03:40:49 PM »
I'm hearing that collecting the Dog Tags doesn't unlock any special features...  I'm hoping that's not true, because if that's the case, then I'm really wasting my time.  Though I have Hard mode about 50% completed now.  It's a good thing I love MGS so much, because it's kind of silly how quickly the game can be beaten.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 14, 2004, 06:20:23 PM »
What are dogtags ? I know you pick them up after defeating an enemy but my question is how many are they ?
And did they unlock in MGS 2 ?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2004, 06:21:54 PM »
Psycho Mantis. Coolest. Boss. Fight. Ever.

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 14, 2004, 06:28:51 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
What are dogtags ? I know you pick them up after defeating an enemy but my question is how many are they ?
And did they unlock in MGS 2 ?

basically you sneak up behind a guard with the M9(its the easiest) and snake says freeze, you then circle around the guards and point the weapon at his face causing him to shake off his tags. After that make sure to put him down as not to get an alert

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 14, 2004, 06:47:13 PM »
A good game to keep me satisfied on my cube. Some of the stuff can be frustrating, like it's easier to kill people with a tranquilizer than a FAMAS or things like the annoying game over sounds but overall a very good game. I've never played the original, so I don't know what I missed, but I'd say this was worth the money. My friends actually enjoyed watching me play because it's got a movie feel to it.

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 14, 2004, 07:42:41 PM »

Originally posted by: VideoGamerJ
A good game to keep me satisfied on my cube. Some of the stuff can be frustrating, like it's easier to kill people with a tranquilizer than a FAMAS or things like the annoying game over sounds but overall a very good game. I've never played the original, so I don't know what I missed, but I'd say this was worth the money. My friends actually enjoyed watching me play because it's got a movie feel to it.

they should have used Snake's Game Over from MGS2

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 14, 2004, 08:08:34 PM »
Just got the game yesterday after looking for it all week.  So far I really like it.  It's a hard game but not in an unfair way.  When I die on a boss I usually have a strong desire to continue since I feel I can improve and do better next time.  You don't see that with every game.  The storyline seems to be pretty good too.  It's not Shakespeare but for a videogame it's pretty decent.  I'm actually interested in what's going to happen next.  My only complaint is that the game's controls feel dated.  This is an updated Playstation game for sure.  Plus whose dumb idea was it to make us have to push two buttons to pause?  How f*cking retarded is that?

"Oh, and I'm glad that they still have 'the package' thing in there. One of the more original things in a video game."

Man that really stumped me.  I thought I was supposed to have gotten a package from the guy and I forgot to or the game screwed up.  It's a neat idea but it kind of hurts the flow of the story since realistically it doesn't make any f*cking sense.

"So, I'm curious. I really really hated Splinter Cell. Is TTS even worth a look in that case? Everyone says its such a classic game, I feel like I should play it."

I was initially worried about this game too since after initially really enjoying Splinter Cell the constant getting f*cked over for slightly being off on head shots made me give up on that game.  MGS is a WAY better game.  First of all there's more freedom in getting by soldiers.  You don't have to do everything a certain way.  Plus the game is much more forgiving.  If you're spotted by an enemy he won't kill you in two seconds.  You can actually shoot and punch enemies without much effort.  In SC if an enemy spots you you're dead... period.  In MGS you usually have a chance to survive.

MGS also plays more like an action game than SC did.  It has boss battles for example and in general feels more like a traditional videogame.  SC feels more like a sim where the goal was to make as realistic of a stealth game as possible regardless of how fun it may or may not be.