Author Topic: Capcom Announces Mega Man 10 for WiiWare  (Read 12245 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Re: Capcom Announces Mega Man 10 for WiiWare
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:35 PM »
So no surprise that Sheep Man was just announced.  It's hard to think of good ideas for Mega Man.  All the obvious ideas were taken long ago.

I don't know about that, I'm still waiting for Honus Wagner Card Man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
I'm sorry but how exactly did MM9 fall flat on its face trying to emulate an NES game?

No seriously. Aside from some younger generation gamers who just didn't get what they were trying to accomplish (15 year olds like our very own Stevey :P), this game is loved for emulating the NES style gameplay (and look).
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »
this game is loved for emulating the NES style gameplay (and look).
It doesn't need an NES-style to capture the gameplay. In fact, it was hindered by it.

I don't know about that, I'm still waiting for Honus Wagner Card Man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc
That video is hilarious. I found it a while back and I think it is one of the best videos on YouTube.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 02:53:06 AM »
Best Mega Man villian? Bat Man.

Mega Man -From one professional to another, if you're trying to scare somebody, pick a better spot. From this height, the fall wouldn't kill me.
Bat Man -I'm counting on it
(Bat Man proceeds to drop Mega Man and break his legs)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
Was there really a Bat Man?

They should parody some actual super heroes if they are gonna go that route.

Bat Man
Spider Man
Iron Man
Super Man
Ultra Man
Aqua Man
Multiple Man
Invisible Man

that's an entire game right there.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Yes and that game's called Shinobi.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »

In case anyone doesn't get what he just said, go to the bottom of this page.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi.htm

Wasn't it great how early videogames would break copyright laws.  Hell, speaking of breaking copyright laws and Megaman, here's something that might interest some of you.

Elec Mans theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0NSzqnjvA

Faithfully by Journey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVs4jDL-JBo

Lets hope Journey and their lawyers never find out about this or else you can say good bye to Elec Mans theme ever being used in a Megaman game ever again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »
I'm with Broodwars -- really need to go finish MM9.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
I can beat the game in a half hour.  What's taking you guys so long!?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »
I can beat the game in a half hour.  What's taking you guys so long!?

Lack of interest (and lack of a comfortable control scheme on Wii.  My hands are too big for the Wiimote on its side, and the Classic Controller doesn't have a good grip on the sides).  In that half hour you say it can take you to beat the game, I can play a game that's much more fun and doesn't make me pull my hair out with cheap difficulty spikes (both literal and figurative)...like Majora's Mask, which I'm replaying right now, or the MegaMan Anniversary Collection, which I've been playing off and on for a year now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
Was there really a Bat Man?

They should parody some actual super heroes if they are gonna go that route.

Bat Man
Spider Man
Iron Man
Super Man
Ultra Man
Aqua Man
Multiple Man
Invisible Man

that's an entire game right there.

The only one I know they couldn't get away with is Iron Man since that is how his name is actually spelled (Marvel does "Spider-Man" instead of "Spider Man", DC does "Superman" instead of "Super Man", etc. But Marvel uses the "Iron Man" spelling and spacing).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »
Mega Man 8 has an Aqua Man. There are only so many synonyms for water... though interestingly there has never been a "Water Man". There's been everything else though: Bubble Man, Dive Man, Wave Man, Splash Woman...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:32:26 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
Remember Dark Man? Most generic name EVER for a Mega Man villain.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »
I heard a rumour that his name in Japanese translates to "Black Man". Is that true?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
I heard a rumour that his name in Japanese translates to "Black Man". Is that true?

No. His Japanese name is "ダークマン", which translates to "Darkman".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
this game is loved for emulating the NES style gameplay (and look).
It doesn't need an NES-style to capture the gameplay. In fact, it was hindered by it.

Hindered? Not unless you're comparing it to the X series (and then only X1, 2 i'm assuming SNES version of 3) but those games are a different beats all together. The gameplay was PERFECT for what a classic MM game should be, considering Capcom messed up the gameplay (3 times over) in the classic series before 9 reverted back to the series roots.

If MM9 played like MMX you'd have a ton of fans who would've skipped it over (which is sad because i'm the kind of MM fan that enjoys both series).

In case anyone doesn't get what he just said, go to the bottom of this page.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi.htm

Wasn't it great how early videogames would break copyright laws.  Hell, speaking of breaking copyright laws and Megaman, here's something that might interest some of you.

Elec Mans theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0NSzqnjvA

Faithfully by Journey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVs4jDL-JBo

Lets hope Journey and their lawyers never find out about this or else you can say good bye to Elec Mans theme ever being used in a Megaman game ever again.

Yep, i've heard the similarities before. There's a few more in the MM series actually.. Hell, once I was listening to some guitarists MMX melody that my girlfriend found on myspace, and there's one song he plays from x1 that sounds incredibly similar to an Iron Maiden song.. i think it was the solo from The Virus.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
Hindered? Not unless you're comparing it to the X series (and then only X1, 2 i'm assuming SNES version of 3) but those games are a different beats all together. The gameplay was PERFECT for what a classic MM game should be, considering Capcom messed up the gameplay (3 times over) in the classic series before 9 reverted back to the series roots.
It sounds like you're saying the 8-bit graphics and sound have a direct relation to the gameplay. I've not played any of the X series besides the first, but I can tell you that if the series isn't as good (which is subjective) it is not because they weren't NES games.

Removing the slide and charge was a step backward, which makes the action a bit more redundant. Restricting the game to the NES limitations results in less creative designs. They no longer have to limit the number of enemies on screen or tone down moving objects. They could still capture the "classic" gameplay without having to actually use NES hardware. There have already been six... well I guess SEVEN games on the NES, so by sticking with that limitation they are stifling creativity and the series is becoming stale. There's nothing they can create which hasn't been done seven times over.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
NES hardware. There have already been six... well I guess SEVEN games on the NES, so by sticking with that limitation they are stifling creativity and the series is becoming stale.

No, you were right the first time. There were 6 Mega Man games released on the NES.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
I was making a statement that Mega Man 9 was an NES game. It might as well have been.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
so by sticking with that limitation they are stifling creativity and the series is becoming stale.

I LOL'd real hard right there. The series was pretty stale when X came out and that didn't do TOO much to differentiate itself. Now you have 2 Legends games (plus 1 spinoff) and countless Battle Network games, 4 MMZ games and i don't know how many MXZY whatever games their are now for the DS. MM has spin-offs of spin-offs in its own series, nothing says stale like that.

Back to the other point we were arguing, I just feel that MM9 going back to the classic style graphics DID in fact improve the gameplay because capcom now no longer had to worry about the animation they way they did with MM7/8/MM&B which actually slowed down the action making those games incredibly boring compared to the NES games (which was made even more appearant by already having a few X series games under my belt when I finally played MM7/8/MM&B). There's also the fact that the level design no longer suffered from MM8's 2d sidescrolling on sprites intended to look 3Dish which, if i recall correctly, had many players missing platforms because they'd look like you could land on them but the platforms edge wasn't really there, causing cheap deaths that in the NES games wouldn't of happened because everything was flat. Though i think some of the X series games (after 4) had similar issues, but of course with the wall-jump move available, it probably wasn't as big a problem.

So there, thats my opinion on MM9 and mine alone. I'm sorry you don't see it that way, and I don't understand the point of keeping the argument going because we both know if capcom wanted to, they could've made the game look and sound like an NES game but done things the NES couldn't do; like have more than 3 M-buster shots on screen at once, plus more enemies, etc... but that wasn't the point of the game. They weren't trying to innovate or reinvent the series, it was just fan service. Guess you're one of those people in the "just don't get it" category.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 12:19:43 AM »
I think it is silly to say that somebody "doesn't get" a game. People have different tastes and want different things from games, it comes down to preference and not whether or not people "get" a game. I understand exactly what they were going for but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

And yeah, the Mega Man franchise has become stale, that doesn't make this series any different. I haven't played any of those other Mega Man games besides the first "X" one so I don't know what it became. But I do know that this game doesn't need to be in 8-bit to have the same gameplay. They wouldn't need to add complex animations or backgrounds, just like Miyamoto wouldn't need to create complex dress physics for Peach if she were in New Super Mario Brothers.

I'm still probably going to get this game. As I've said before, a game doesn't need to do something fresh or innovative to be enjoyable. I would just rather see something different from this series.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
But my point is that the gameplay is exactly where the devs wanted it to be, so expecting it to be different, is not getting the point. You can disagree with the choices the dev team made and I won't argue with you because they're your opinions, but when you say the game fell flat for doing what its SUPPOSED to do (and doing it perfectly) well.. that's different :)

And my point in bringing up the spin-offs upon spin-offs is to remind you that you shouldn't expect to "see something different from this series" so why hold your breathe? At this point they're not going to give original megaman a beam sabre for intense close-combat, or mixable upgrades that can combine to make different unique armors, because they have spin-offs (love em or hate em) that utilize those gameplay ideas. All you can exppect from MM10 is what you got with MM9, and hope you can slide/charge (which I think is confirmed you can't do, so again: why hold your breathe?).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »
A game can fall flat even if it perfectly matches the developer's expectations because it's not the dev who judges the game, it's the customer.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »
Then we're just arguing semantics because I took Mop_it_ups comments to mean the game "fell flat" as a whole, ie it was utter garbage to anyone that played it and not that she was dissapointed in certain aspects of it but was still able to enjoy it. Because that's fine, even I have some gripes with the game (some weapons were boring) but I wouldn't ever insinuate that it sucked because it suceeded at doing what the devs wanted it to do :P

My other point still stands though, expecting too much from the 10th installment in a franchise series (that's already had countless spin-offs) is setting yourself upfor dissapointment, and complaining after the fact is like complaining that the next mario game falls flat because you're still jumping from platform to platform ;)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 12:23:51 PM »
IMO it fell short of its goal to return Mega Man to its NES glory, instead it created a mixture of MM2 mechanics and MMX8 level design.