Author Topic: SPECIALS: Interview with Tony Hawk  (Read 2098 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
SPECIALS: Interview with Tony Hawk
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
At a recent event in New York City, Nintendo World Report got to catch up with skateboarding legend Tony Hawk and talk to him about the latest game in his eponymous skateboarding series, Tony Hawk: Ride.

With a new skateboarding peripheral created by developer Robomodo that was more or less demanded by Hawk himself, Tony Hawk: Ride is a motion-controlled skateboarding game that is launching today for Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Robomodo developed the HD versions, while Oregon-based studio Buzz Monkey handled the Wii version.

Nintendo World Report (NWR): So earlier you were talking about how you went to Activision and asked about making a skateboard peripheral game. Was it a response in any way to how the later Tony Hawk games came out?

Tony Hawk (TH): A bit. It was more about seeing all the new technology available on the new consoles and wanting to embrace that and use it for our game series.

I mean, definitely, we were going as far as we could with button-mashing games and it was starting to become more like Simon Says than feeling like you're skating. And that was fine, but at the same time, with how much technology was available and how people were embracing virtual interactivity with the Wii Remotes, the Wii Balance Board, and Guitar Hero, they really wanted to submerse themselves in these actions so I felt it was time to do skateboarding on that level. And to be honest, what Robomodo did is better than I could have imagined.

For the rest of the interview, go http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=20337
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: SPECIALS: Interview with Tony Hawk
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »
Very cool interview.  I like you question regarding the Balance Board.  Mr. Hawk brings up a good point there.  The balance board is great for what Nintendo designed it for, but it wouldn't do what this game does.

Makes you wonder if living rooms full of plastic truly are an unavoidable future.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram