Author Topic: Has anyone seen the new EGM?  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen the new EGM?
« on: April 20, 2003, 12:18:59 PM »
There is review in it of Sonic Adventure DX and I was already told it recieved a 5 out of 10 but all the chazwazers who read it can't seem to remember what else it said. If anyone read the review could you please tell me why it got such a bad rating especialy since that gave that craptacular SA2B a 7 out of 10?

But its funny, could they already have the game this early? I know magizines get games early but this seems a bit too early, kind of like what they did with ED.    
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheGlueBubble

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 12:48:26 PM »
I don't think the new EGM is even out yet. I subscribe, and I don't get mine until the beginning of a new month. Unless you have seen it, I personally think that score is fake.
GC games: Wind Waker, OOT/MQ, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, SSBM,  Resident Evil, Timesplitters 2, Animal Crossing

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 01:19:07 PM »
are you sure it was EGM? I know that GameInformer game Sonic DX a 5.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen the new Game Informer?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 01:37:35 PM »
I uh... never said EGM. But Mingesium could you tell me why it got that score?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 01:41:02 PM »
Pretty surprising, too, considering SA1 isn't a bad game AND it includes all the Gamegear Sonic games. Billy, do you really want to work want to work for a mag that claims Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is the greatest 3D fighter to date and reviewed Eternal Darkness based off of a completely stripped E3 demo? Hope you set them straight, man.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 01:47:44 PM »
I haven't seen the new Game Informer. Just saw on some message boards it got a 5.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 02:07:57 PM »
Funny how they can review a game that won't even be complete until June at the earliest. Probably the reason I don't read Game Informer.
Billy, kick their asses!

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 06:32:31 PM »
I am a game informer fan but some times they give bad reviews, but i still think its one of the if not the best gaming magizine.  Like just before mario party 4 came out they gave a review for pacman mania or whatever that namco party game is called, and they said its a good game but wait for MP4, so they gave it a 7.75.  Then next month MP4 comes out and they said soemthing like we always had it out for this series and we thinks its boring. and they gave it like a 5.  Go figure
PikkCuber

Offline XBR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 08:05:16 AM »
Well pikkcuber i think what they were trying to say was Wait and see if Mario Party 4 is better and if it isnt, then get this instead.  Though i dont see why Mario Party 4 got a 5.  I love that game, even though i suck at it cough cough
Rocko's Modern Life....
       ...the good ole days

Offline FinalC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 09:23:27 AM »
Screw GameInformer I saw the review. I posted it on my fourm with the scan here
I am here no need a for a sig I am the sumpreme.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 10:36:35 AM »
the thing is it probably does suck.... i mean for dc i didnt think it was the greatest game ever....... its probably only mildly updated.... Now billy hatcher looks like something.... sonic never really translated well into 3d....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 10:50:46 AM »
Man, one thing Game Informer doesn't understand is that this was one of Dreamcast's first games.  You can't expect great graphics, but their something  I'll play with.  Also there now like charging $50.00 for the game or anything.  Its a steal to get all that, PLUS the game gear games with the purchase. Don't listen to their review. Either rent it or buy it.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 01:37:40 PM »
one quick note.

This is the SAME game informer that gave BMX XXX a 9.5
and gave Mario Party 4 a 3

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 04:05:18 PM »
Jeez....I'm really not keen on getting a subscription to GI now. I'll wait to see what the mag is like after Billy gets there because giving BMX XXX a 9.5 is in excusable. What did they give SA2B? I'm curious because an unenhanced Sonic Adventure 1 on DC is better than Sonic Adventure 2 on GC. I could have lived with a 6 but a 5!? Given whats included in the game, how is that possible? There are what 7 or 8 Sonic games on that disc.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 04:58:14 PM »
They can't all be idiots, they gave Ikaruga a 9, and the original Xevious gets an 8.5. they just don't seem to like sonic.. oh well

Oh hey.. Billy hatcher looks neat, but so does Otogi (actually made by From Software). I'm a sucker for ARPGs...
They neglected to mention Virtual On Marz's crippling slow-down in fourplayer mode though.
I still think they're way better than other mags out there, but I might suggest most others make good kindling or toilet paper.

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2003, 05:47:20 PM »
Is this the magazine Billy left for....?
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 07:22:04 PM »
Game Informer sucks the Master Sword.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2003, 07:34:36 PM »
I wonder if Billy will make an impact when he arrives.
Sonic 5 out of 10?
When does this game come out anyway?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2003, 09:06:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Hybrid Hunter
I wonder if Billy will make an impact when he arrives.

Personally I am hoping he feeds half the staff to a school of large pirhanna.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 04:30:24 AM »
Game Informer magazine isn't a bad magazine.  In the world of journalism, its a race to be first in whatever news, or reviews or anything that may come along.  So they review what they have, even if it is a little pre-pubecent, so to speak, as was the case with ED.  I'm sure if GI was that bad of a magazine, Billy wouldn't have wanted to work for it.  I subscribed to GI until last November, and plan on renewing my subscription as soon as possible.
Besides, they tell their readers if they are basing their review off of an unfinished game or not.
it was time for a change.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 05:39:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Marcus Arillius
Game Informer magazine isn't a bad magazine.  In the world of journalism, its a race to be first in whatever news, or reviews or anything that may come along.  So they review what they have, even if it is a little pre-pubecent, so to speak, as was the case with ED.  I'm sure if GI was that bad of a magazine, Billy wouldn't have wanted to work for it.  I subscribed to GI until last November, and plan on renewing my subscription as soon as possible.
Besides, they tell their readers if they are basing their review off of an unfinished game or not.

Basing reviews off of demos isn't a good practice.  It just reeks of unprofessionalism.  If they are willing to do that to beat deadlines, then who is to say that they actually even finish the games that they review?  I really don't care about the reason, it's like reviewing a movie based off of the trailer.  We don't like critics as it is, because they so rarely get things right.  This is just a bigger reason to hate them.

I seriously hope that Billy does not pick up these habits.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2003, 06:16:08 AM »
Unless Billy's going to be editor-in-chief, the magazine isn't going to change.

Whether or not Billy "likes" the magazine isn't really that much of an issue...it's a job, and his big break in the industry.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2003, 08:27:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Game Informer sucks the Master Sword.

hahhahahah clasic just classic.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2003, 02:58:23 PM »
i tend to like nintendo power.....they dont give nintendo the shaft...i wonder why...
i was looking in the egm magazine and i remember back in the n64 days they always included ports
and what not of every game in each section...for instance if tiger woods was coming out for more then one system they would have it in both sections(redundant but fair)...now they include such games only in the ps2 and xbox  sections and don't include them in the gamecube section...so the gamecube always looks like it has a small library because they only show first party software in egm. Gamecube is horendously under-
represented in EGM. I think there have been a few letters to egm about their biases...and egm's responce is their are no games coming out....which is bs...because then how would nintendo power be able to have a bighger book each month. Nintendo is being screwed by egm and it has an effect on sales. Egm is the most widely read video game magazine and it sells games....damn egm...i used to read egm from 1992-2001...its not the same as it used to be. Hell another thing they had a big review page for splinter cell....and this is the ps2 version...they said in small letters also for gamecube...but it was in the ps2 review section....then you turn to another page and for gamecube there is a huge review page for wwe crush hour...this is symbolic...egm is saying quite subtley ps2 good gc bad. Crush hour came out for ps2 and i dont see it in the ps2 section getting a shitty review like it deserves.

Fuck all magazines except the new game informer cus Billy is the man!

i havnt looked at game informer since wwf attitude came out...so....i have no clue what its like now....i remember it being decent....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2003, 05:01:10 PM »
Why do you people seem to think that games are finished the day before their releases?
Sonic Adventure DX has been finished for several weeks now. It's improvements over it's Dreamcast predecessor include polished up graphics, inluding new models and textures. Sixty new missions. Twelve Sonic Game Gear games... Just to name a few.