Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129352 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
I have to check out this Incredible, its the first I've heard of it

edit: Can you link me to a good pic? i tried looking on the official HTC site and can't find anything labeled "incredible". Does it go by another name?

this is the most info I could find onit with a good pic of what it looks like
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/03/18/htc-incredible-launched-verizon-weeks-rumors-suggest-htc-incredible-coming-find-incredible/

It's not really clear, but I'm hoping that is not a trackball at the bottom. that's the one thing that I wasn't too fond of on the HTC Hero, but only because it was also the camera button and it was really awkward to use that instead of a dedicated button on the side where you finger would naturally rest when holding the phone sideways.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
I believe that's an optical trackpad.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
trackballs are okay. I like it better than the 8-way directional pad the Droid has. I'm surprised theres no dedicated camera button.. My G1 has one, and its a nice in that it works like a quick key too (ie hold the button down while in any application and the camera opens up), however since the first Android software update I never really use the camera key to snap a picture. I find the trackball, but more especially the virtual key, much easier to use because it keeps the camera much steadier than the small hardware key. It's kinda like the GCN's z button lol..

as for the HTC Inc... it looks okay. I can't tell if thats a trackball either, and the pic isn't all that great so its hard to tell what the phone actually looks like. I personally think the N1 is pretty slick, despite the odd color of it. If you had that in a glossy black, well you'd pretty much have the Incredible don't ya think?

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
I didn't mean running Android on top of Windows Mobile (but yes, there are several phones that you can put a bootloader on and use Android instead of Windows Mobile, though not officially), I meant HTC makes a lot of customizations to their WinMo phones (Mannilla 2D, TouchFlo, etc), all of which can be disabled or even installed on other phones not made by HTC.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
I'm about to jizz in my pants. The HTC incredible launches April 29th (confirmed by many VZW reps), and the processor will *not* be downlclocked to 768Mhz, and will run at 1Ghz. Here are the specs, and the manual - http://www.ppcgeeks.com/2010/04/08/htc-incredible-specs-manual-leaked/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
I'm about to jizz in my pants. The HTC incredible launches April 29th (confirmed by many VZW reps), and the processor will *not* be downlclocked to 768Mhz, and will run at 1Ghz. Here are the specs, and the manual - http://www.ppcgeeks.com/2010/04/08/htc-incredible-specs-manual-leaked/

I'm sold. Now I just need a good clear pic of the front of the phone.

also, what is this?
Quote from: HTC Incredible Spec Sheet
Special features - Friend Stream

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:52 AM »
I just Googled it - http://mashable.com/2010/02/16/htc-friend-stream/ - I guess it will take your contacts and link to their FaceBook, Twitter, etc, and show you when they have updates. I don't use any of that crap, but it's a pretty cool feature.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
Why is it everytime I need/badly want a new phone its at the worse times?

Can't upgrade to n1 on tmo cuz googles picky, nor am I close to finishing up my contract to look elsewhere for new phones. SOB
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
Meh....newer better phones are always releasing round the clock. I only upgrade if I can or have too.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »
Which is why I hate the situation I'm in. My g1 is busted to hell (go figure, 1st smartphone and its the one I'm clumsiest with) and it only feels as its getting worse day by day. I definately need a phone but with newer, better phones being released at such a fast pace, no matter what I do it feels like I'm shooting myself in the foot.

I either:

-buy an n1 full price and decide what to do when my tmo contract is up in october.. possibly leaving me stuck with just another tmo contract as the current model is optimized for it.

-cancel my contract, pay whatever fees there are and buy into a NEW contract which will most likely be more expensive than what I'm paying now for unlimited everything.

Either way I go though, I bet once a new phone is obtained the next day something that fits my needs better will be announced (ie. Nexus Two with physical keyboard)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
Why don't you use your warranty and get another G1? You could also do what my brother has done and threaten to leave your carrier and vow to never come back unless a deal is made. They're first obligation is to keep you on contract first, so you do have some leverage.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
Out of warranty by now, and asfriendly as tmo customer service is their wait time is almost as bad as HSBC's (last time I had to call in for support I was on hold for 45 mins).

I think I just found a replacement g1 on amazon for cheap, maybe ill just get that until its time for a new contract and can get a deal somewhere for a nice new phone. All these HTC android phones are awesome..

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
Get an HTC EVO 4G on Sprint this summer.

4G may be a extra, but you can buy into that later. Ridiculous phone that you shouldn't feel like you are getting outdated tech because the next phone to follow it probably still won't be as nice.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:36 AM »
Here's the dilemma though - Verizon launches 4G later this year (at least in 25-30 markets, but I'm a hop, skip and a jump away from Orlando, which I imagine will be one of those markets)...and these are 3G phones...is it worth holding out even longer?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2010, 01:15:52 AM »
you bring up a good point. I have to wait till June as it is, but everyday that goes by has me wanting to chuck my phone into the nearest wall harder and harder as it gets slower and less responsive.

The camera just recently stopped working and somehow the screen got scratched, so I'm really ready to get a new phone.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »
I don't know how Verizon does it, but when my carrier went to 3G it took several months and I was stuck on the old network for a while.

The same rules apply for phones as they do for game systems - you keep waiting for the next big thing, you end up with nothing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
True. I don't need 4G (at least I don't think), the Droid already does a nice job at streaming HQ YouTube videos and whatnot over 3G, and HTC phones tend to have pretty decent radios in them as well. The speed would be nice, but I have 15-22Mb/sec cable at home already, and if I could stream WVGA video in my car, I'd probably get in a wreck and die.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
Knowing that something better will come along and knowing about a specific thing and when it's coming out are two separate things. My iPhone is starting to show its age and I plan to upgrade to a new one soon, but I'd be crazy to do that now when I know the new one is coming in just over 2 months. There will be another new one after that, but in this case there is a very tangible gain to be had in a set amount of time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »
HTC Incredible

Android 2.1 with HTC Sense experience
  1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ processor for maximum responsiveness
  Friend Stream for unified Flickr, Facebook and Twitter updates
  "Leap" view for quick access to all seven home screen panels
  8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash for crisp, detailed images
  Razor-sharp 3.7 inch WVGA (480x800) AMOLED capacitive touch display
  Optical joystick for smooth navigation
  Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search keys
  Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
  Integrated GPS
  Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
  3.5 mm headset jack

Price and availability:
  DROID Incredible will be available for pre-order online at www.verizonwireless.com   beginning on April 19 and it will be in Verizon Wireless Communications   Stores on April 29. Pricing will be $199.99 after a $100 mail-in   rebate with a new two-year customer agreement.

edit: It's also rumored that the phone can do 720p recording but it has to be unlocked.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:24:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
If you buy it at Best Buy you get it for $199 instantly. Hopefully my friend's buddy can hook me up with the same deal. The only thing I'll miss from Windows Mobile is (unofficial) Sirius streaming, but Android will have it soon enough. If I knew that VZW was going to get (at least the equivalent of) the EVO 4G, then I'd hold out, but I (and a lot of websites) think this will be Verizon's "flagship" phone, so I doubt they would try to out-do it anytime soon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
Can you get the $199 deal instantly and use the NE2 $150 discount to get it for $50?

Because if you can, then I will be signed up by sometime next month.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
i h aven't used the Sense UI but fom everything I read, it doesn't sound like i'd like it So i'm not bummed about missing out on this phone.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »
I don't know what the Hell you're talking about Bob, there's no way anyone is getting this for $50. It's $199 with a 2 year contract (new or renewal/upgrade).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
Well, when the Droid was advertised at $199 with 2 year contract, I got an extra $100 off with the NE2, so it was only $99.  Of course, adding in the tax on top of both phones' (including the free Droid Eris) original price, the NE2 effectively evaporated.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
Anyone watched any vidoe reviews? Everyone says basically it's the ****. Better than the Nexus One.