Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2005  (Read 10652 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2005
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 2005 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17977
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:52:24 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2005
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:02:24 AM »

I remember seeing this on the street. The AMN crew thought it was rather prophetic as well. I think there was a street called Mario Kart or something like that too.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:47:24 AM »

The beginning of a Revolution, the rise of an empire and the growth of the industry.

I definitely remember 2005 as the year the DS was finally starting to grab people by the ears.

Meteos was a really fun puzzle game, and it was pretty much the best game available during the drought.

2005 was the year we got 2 Wario Ware games, one after the other. Touched was a fantastic DS title, but I remember it getting weak reviews, which is a shame. Twisted was amazing. I literally made S_B's copy of the game and tried to collect every collectible.

E3 2005 was both great and weak. Great because both Sony and MS rolled out their next gen systems and impressed many with their tech demos (aka bullshot footage).

It was also weak because Nintendo said next to nothing about the Revolution, save for a box and promises. The GBA Micro and last GC games didn't impress. But this would be remedied soon.

Nintendo finally unveiled the new controller, and the first thing I said was "how do you play games with a remote control?".

It was awesome, and even if the video promised things that couldn't happen now the possibilities made me giggle.

Nintendogs, Wild World and Mario Kart owned my DS thanks to heavy play.

2005 also saw the release of Phoenix Wright and things would never be the same. Gotta love that lawyer!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:29:48 AM »
I definitely remember 2005 as the year the DS was finally starting to grab people by the ears.
Grab people by the ears? Isn't that something parents do to punish their children? Was Nintendo punishing its fanbase for not taking notice?

Anyways...

Looks like there isn’t much released during 2005 that I played. Gaming-wise, I think I spent most of the year playing Smash Brothers Melee as it is the year in which I reached 100,000 matches. When this happens, the game gives you a message telling you to go outside. I can’t think of any other game with such a message. Gotta love it.

Anyways, I still haven’t played Resident Evil 4, or any Resident Evil for that matter despite owning the first two games. The series has just never interested me for whatever reason. However, with Resident Evil 4’s more action-focused gameplay it has a better chance of being something which I’d like. I think the Wii version is now $20 so maybe I should finally pick it up.

It wasn’t until after I already had Mario Super Sluggers that I bought Mario Superstar Baseball; I was curious about what kind of changes were made, plus I’m on a quest to own all Mario games anyway. The control interface is borderline terrible, especially batting, it's hard to pin down exactly why but it just doesn't feel right. I do know why fielding is bad though; movement is a bit slippery and there's no way to switch control of fielders. You'll get control of the shortstop even though the ball rolls right under the 3rd baseman's feet. There's literally no way to stop a bunt because you'll get control of the pitcher instead of the catcher. Granted, there are a few small details that are missing from the sequel, but the gameplay just got so much better. It is also more difficult than Sluggers but only because of the poor controls and abundance of tedious tasks.

Mario Superstar Baseball does have the best menu music out of all of the Mario titles though.

Super Mario Strikers is another game which I bought after getting the Wii sequel. While Mario Strikers Charged is an alright game, it lacks polish in key areas such as balance, is light on game modes, and has a very dramatic style quite unbefitting of Mario characters. Super Mario Strikers, on the other hand, isn’t “Mario” enough in that it doesn’t offer up enough twists on the gameplay and the characters don’t have very distinct personalities. Even so, the gameplay is solid, and the 4-on-4 makes for a fast action-packed football game. There’s more emphasis on passing and getting your players into position, so the game requires more skill than its sequel as well. Best of all though is that its art style doesn’t depress me.

My Game of the Year for 2005 would be Battalion Wars. Love it. The game brings you a lot closer to the heat of battle than the average strategy game. And with direct control over one of your units, you really feel like you're causing some damage, rather than just watching a staged battle. Battalion Wars is a great mix of strategy and action, but you'll need to get past the first couple of missions before the real battles begin.

I enjoyed TimeSplitters Future Perfect as well. It was a little rough around the edges feature-wise, but the gameplay was enhanced and had more variety than before. The story mode is a bit short but it had some epic moments when Cortez meets up with his past and future self. There’s lots to do in the Arcade League and Challenge modes; going for high-scores is, well, challenging! The stage builder was a lot more robust and was capable of creating fairly complex arenas, I spent many a sleepless night just building away.

Heh, Pokémon Emerald. Yeah… I’m going to resist going on one of my would-be famous Pokémon rants. This game started strong but slowly it became more and more tedious. Many of the new Pokémon seem uninspired, the new elements to the battles just made them more random, stat building is as tedious and vague as ever, and the game did away with the interesting day/night system of Gold/Silver. There are also too many Pokémon that you need to trade with other versions to get, which is just lame. I didn’t even bother with all of that stuff at the end because creating teams for all of those events at the Battle Frontier would take hundreds of boring hours of level grinding.

Why would there be a sequel to Mario Kart DS? No system to date has received more than one. There’s no real need to because there’s nothing which would have been a worthwhile inclusion until new hardware is released. The retro tracks are probably the thing I dislike most about Mario Kart games, especially since each version has different physics and the retro tracks don’t play as well as in the original version.

Other games released in 2005 which I have yet to add to my collection include Geist, Killer 7, WarioWare: Twisted, and of course The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »
Sure, RE4 was okay, but what about [size=9]DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT???[/size]
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:06 AM »
Yeah, I gotta say Phoenix Wright is my GotY for 2005, looking back. I can understand why it wasn't a contender in the big race, being an enhanced port of a GBA game, but it's still one of my favorites on the system, and in my opinion the best Ace Attorney game (or at least the best-localized one).
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
When this happens, the game gives you a message telling you to go outside. I can’t think of any other game with such a message.

You must not have played Wii Sports much, it tells you to go outside after you play a few games in a row.

I still say that Mario Kart DS is the best game on the DS and the best game in the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
Mario DDR was also released in 2005. I would have thought that was a noteable release as well. It seemed big at the time. Never was able to pick up a copy. One of these days, I'll have to bite the bullet and get it off Ebay I guess.

Not a fan of the horror genre so I've never played an RE game. I think I'd have to go with Battalion Wars just edging DKJB as my game of the year. For the past year, I've been looking for a copy of LOZ: MC but it appears that it is another Ebay purchase. WarioWare: Twisted kept me addicted for months.

The DS picture wasn't rosy at first. There was a lot of people panning it an the games in the first half of the year. Pretty much everything released was dismissed as a tech demo. When the PSP was first released, it was often outselling the DS week after week. But then June came and we got Advance Wars and Kirby. Following that was Nintendogs and then the DS soared.

I wouldn't say Mario Kart is the best game on the DS but I do agree with Insanolord that it is the best in the series. I would agree that it was the game of the year.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
yes, Mario Kart DS is a very, very solid entry in the MK series. It's one of those games that makes the DS feel like a console, and not a portable, because it's full-featured and not at all dumbed down. It's leagues better than Super Circuit. DKJB is also awesome.

The first Phoenix Wright is very special to me because I  felt like it came out of left field and REALLY impressed when it could have failed so very easily due to localization goof-ups. I think that comes through in my review.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
Grab people by the ears? Isn't that something parents do to punish their children? Was Nintendo punishing its fanbase for not taking notice?

Yes, but its also used to grab attention when you are ignored. With the triple threat of Nintendogs,  Wild World and Mario Kart fans finally took notice of the DS and new gamers slowly began to accept the DS as a great system for everyone.

I completely forgot about Geist! Its such a criminally underrated rate. It wasn't polished, but the concept was so much fun and it worked. There were so many satisfying moments I don't understand how reviewers couldn't see this. This is why I believe New Play Control has potential. If they ported the game to the Wii and fixed the aiming and polish the game further it could finally get the respect it deserves.

I also forgot about DDR Mario Mix. It was a very solid DDR game and the music was really good. Once more, reviewers took a dump all of it for no good reason. It wasn't perfect but damn just what people expected from DDR??

Jungle Beat was all kinds of awesome, and I can't wait to try it all over again on the Wii. I just hope that even it missing the bongos it gets a second chance to shine again.

Oh yes, Kirby Canvas Curse was a really good DS game. The controls just plain worked and it made for some compelling platforming. Too bad that now that the DS is popular developers haven't experimented as much.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
Happy to see a picture of a staff member having an awkward touching moment with Link. ;)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
Is anyone surprised that Nintendo hasn't released a sequel to Mario Kart DS? That game managed to make the top 10 selling games in the December 2008 NPD. It managed to be one of the top selling games over 3 years after its release. I think it's the same reason they haven't made a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. (which is also selling really well still).

I didn't play many new GameCube games in 2005, except Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I remember being excited over every little bit of info we got on the "Nintendo Revolution".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
You must not have played Wii Sports much, it tells you to go outside after you play a few games in a row.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember something like that, though I thought it told you that after you played the fitness test thingie.

I thought DDR Mario Mix was 2006, but I didn't know for sure. I still want that game but it is fairly expensive. Busting a move with Mario would be too cool though so I might just have to bite the bullet one of these days.

Also, Mario Party 7 doesn't get mentioned as a notable release? What did that game do wrong? You listed Mario Party 4 and 5 in their respected years but not 6 and 7? 6 added in the mic accessory and 7 added Birdo, so I'd argue they were even more notable!

I'll probably be buying the Wiilease of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat when it comes out as the game looks interesting. The sidescrolling platformer has become a bit of a lost art.

The main thing which put me off buying Mario Kart DS were the complaints over snaking. That was quite annoying in Mario Kart Double Dash!! and if it were done to death in Mario Kart DS then it would exasperate me to no end. Along with the smallish character roster, no accessible local multiplayer, and online being restricted to four players there's really no reason for me to own it with Mario Kart Wii around.

Is anyone surprised that Nintendo hasn't released a sequel to Mario Kart DS?
I'm not, as no system to date has received more than one.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Mario Kart DS does have local multiplayer. If they don't have a copy of the game, your friends with have to play as a Shy Guy (which is the only way to play as Shy Guy).

As for systems getting more than 1, I guess that depends on if you consider arcade to be a system since there have been 2 Mario Kart Arcade GP games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »
Mario Kart DS does have local multiplayer. If they don't have a copy of the game, your friends with have to play as a Shy Guy (which is the only way to play as Shy Guy).
The key word there was "accessible". Mario Kart Wii's multiplayer is more accessible because it doesn't require each person to own the system (and possibly game).

As for systems getting more than 1, I guess that depends on if you consider arcade to be a system since there have been 2 Mario Kart Arcade GP games.
What was the timespan between those two arcade releases? I don't know if arcade can be considered a single platform since many arcade games run on different hardware.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:27 PM »
MKDS's local multiplayer may not be easily accessible but when you get it going it's fantastic, especially in battle mode. Block Fort with twice as many players as MK64 and none of the slowdown.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »
I don't know anyone who owns a DS so that's not an option for me. I'm not a fan of battle mode either, but Mario Kart Wii has three times the players of Mario Kart 64's battle mode and none of the slowdown. For it to be local though you'd need three systems and games, as well as a pretty strong internet connection...

I'm sure Mario Kart DS is a great game but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
What was the timespan between those two arcade releases? I don't know if arcade can be considered a single platform since many arcade games run on different hardware.

2005 for the first, 2007 for the second. There was only one arcade within 15 miles of me (and that one shut down) and it didn't carry either Mario Kart games or F-Zero AX.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
2005 for the first, 2007 for the second. There was only one arcade within 15 miles of me (and that one shut down) and it didn't carry either Mario Kart games or F-Zero AX.
Ah I see, the second one was Japan-only and that's why I've never heard of it. It seems strange that they would release those two games so close together.

Now there's something I hope to see as part of the "Play on Wii" series! If they released both on a disc for $30 I'd totally buy that. If the games were designed with a wheel in mind then I wonder how easily they'd convert to the Wii Wheel...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:44:19 PM »
RE4 remains one of my Top 5 GC games, although yeah, the Wii version is leagues better (if only because aiming becomes a cinch). And I should point out that Capcom kept touting a "new control scheme," when, in fact, it wasn't all that different. The viewpoint was changed, and the only real addition was the ability to manually aim your gun. The addition of "context-sensitive actions" was implemented in REmake and RE:0, so I don't want to hear it.

Granted, all this was tweaked for the better, but very little of RE4 was BRAND-NEW. You still basically move around like a tank (no strafing, sorry). Ammo isn't as scarce, but that's because RE4 marks a change in tone for the series, away from conservation and puzzles to shootouts and lots of action. It is a move I appreciate. It's also not SCARY, it's STRESSFUL.

None of these changes are bad. I love them all, and RE5 benefits greatly from RE4's legacy.

As for Minish Cap, I like it--there are like three Kinstones I can't find the matches for, but I like it. The art direction is great, but your movement through the world seems much more limited than in other 2D Zelda games, which I didn't like. Mario Kart DS still sees play today, although not online. The snakers ruined it for everyone.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
halberd, I would strongly argue that merely changing the view point and allowing for precise aiming drastically changed the feel and gameplay of resident evil 4 compared to the rest of the series.  it is totally accurate to call it a new control scheme.  that the old school turn and move mechanic was retained within it practically increases its brilliance (although as RE5 makes clear, they obviously had to design enemies in such a way that the limitations of the controls wouldn't bother the player... much as they did in Goldeneye and PD on the N64).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »
RE4 takes after PN03, just so everyone is clear.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »
When the PSP was first released, it was often outselling the DS week after week. But then June came and we got Advance Wars and Kirby. Following that was Nintendogs and then the DS soared.

The gaming press by early '05 was still taking diarrhea dumps on the DS, whereas they were eager to suck on the PSP's...phallic shape. But after summer 05, the games for DS started coming in, and there was no turning back. There was mad crow to be eaten for sure.

After the release of RE 4, the 'Cube was all but dead, save for the occasional underrated titles. That and Killer 7 were the only 2 new games I bought that year. I took the time to get other titles that I missed over the years like...

I enjoyed TimeSplitters Future Perfect as well. It was a little rough around the edges feature-wise, but the gameplay was enhanced and had more variety than before.

I moved out of my house during the summer to get a job in a distant town; there was a blockbuster video nearby. They were having a huge 'Cube/PS1 clearance, and picked up Future Perfect, and Def Jam Vendetta 5 dollars each, brand spanking new! Best.Deal.Ever.

I wonder if the black Wii that Iwata was holding up at e3 2005 was real. Isn't high time for the Wii to come out in different colors? At least the Wii remotes/nunchucks if nothing else...

Iwata pretty much stole TGS '05 with the Wii remote announcement. They should do something like that again...

I remember the hype for the 360. Especially how Gamestop took far too many pre-orders than they could, ending up with people not getting 360's until months later. Months! One of my friend's younger brother didn't get his until February '06! I felt bad the little guy (he's not so little any more, they grow up so fast!...).

Oh yeah, Guitar Hero. Another un-hyped title that became a cultural phenomenon came out around the same time as the 360. I remember there were lines in order to play the 360, the Guitar Hero set-up was empty for the most part. And I took advantage.

Other than that, '05 was a transitional year. I was hesitant to pick up a DS, since I knew that redesign had to be coming soon, and the Revolution was...well...revolutionary. What else could you say?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »
Oh yes, 2005 did see the release of Guitar Hero.

Here's what I find funny...

GH was the first game to show Nintendo's logic with the Wii; create a game concept based on an idea common to people (being a rock star, guitars), wrap it in gameplay that is easy to learn but hard to master and present it in a nice, colorful manner that appears to people. And you have a billion dollar franchise.

What's ironic is that back then this was considered genius. Now, bloggers have gone as far as to say that any Band game that tries to incorporate non gamers into the gameplay its no longer worth it.

Its amazing how the casual hate has grown so big that even when franchises try to include other gamers its a bad thing.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 12:28:38 AM »
I think Tetris beat Guitar Hero by a decade or two.