Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 1999  (Read 16069 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 1999
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 1999 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17898
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:01:28 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 1999
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:13:11 AM »
Jon and those PD girls got real personal... with a crop.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:55:41 AM »
We're just getting started, folks! Those are some old school pictures, Lindy! WHOOOOOOOO!!!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:54:45 AM »
I still have Super Mario Bros Deluxe. I'll have to pull that out an play it. I almost want to play all of the past GOTY games in a marathon of the ages. Maybe once all the articles are released I'll see if I can get some other members to join in for gameplay and discussion.

Nice to see the memories and pictures. Nice launch to what sounds like a great feature series. Thanks for all your hard work. It is greatly appreciated and noticed.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
Those E3 photos are GOLDEN.  Is that Lindy with... hair?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
I will post a brief comment, but I would first like to point out that you listed Pokemon Snap twice on the list of notable N64 games.

Great review. I wasn't visiting the site in 1999, I had no idea how primitive it appeared to be (although you already pointed out that there wasn't much news to talk about as almost nothing was known about the GameCube yet).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
I am really looking forward to the upcoming years. Those pictures of Lindy with the E3 models are creepy.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Thanks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »
Do do you guys agree with our GotY picks (then and now) for 1999? Disagree? Are there any other games released in 1999 that you remember (either fondly or with contempt)?

I suggested Conker's Pocket Tales for this list because I remember getting this game, being really excited, and then forcing myself to play through that entire sh*tfest for no justifiable reason. I have to suspect other Nintendo/Rare fans did the same....
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
I was super pumped for Goemon's Great Adventure and I got it and my copy was broken out of the box. When I finally got a working copy, I enjoyed it a lot.

I played a lot of Super Smash Bros. and I don't disagree with the GOTY pick. I do remember DK64's multiplayer mode, which was fun. I borrowed it from a friend of mine and enjoyed about the first 20 minutes of playtime.

Jet Force Gemini was a rental, I think. I just remember playing that game almost to completition, and then I saw all the bullshit you had to collect and put it down. A friend of mine recently played it to completition, or at least to the final boss, which is fricking impossible. I tried my hand at beating the boss, but I kept on getting lightning'd to death.

I played through Pokemon Snap with a friend of mine. I love that game, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it. So, I snatched it up when it came out on VC because that's a good enough price for me.

Game Boy-wise I was probably still playing Pokemon Red/Blue. I would've been in like 5th/6th grade and Pokemon was the **** then. A bunch of my friends got Super Mario Deluxe, but I don't remember too much of it. Pokemon Pinball was fun, IIRC.

I think I really wanted Conker's Pocket Tales and then heard about Conker's Bad Fur Day and was like "I want that." Then I read up about C's BFD and I was kind of dumbfounded. Still wanted it, though.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
Wow, DK64 as Game of Year? I thought the game was painfully average when it was new (it was pretty disappointing). That wasn't an amazing year though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
Wow, DK64 as Game of Year? I thought the game was painfully average when it was new (it was pretty disappointing). That wasn't an amazing year though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Smash Bros game of the year in the article?

Furthermore, any year that saw SSB released was an 'amazing year' for the N64... period.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »
Yes, 1999 was an amazing year for gaming...
- The Dreamcast launch
- Pokemania on the GBC!
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Blockbuster N64 releases of Smash Bros., Mario Party, Pokemon Snap, Jet Force Gemini, Rayman 2, Rocket and more!
- The announcement of Majora's Mask

It was an amazing year for gaming.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »
DK64, i liked it a lot. Had great multi. I'm not sure collecting really bothered me yet.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jet Force Gemini though. Love it.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
I was into PC games during 1999. Probably playing Quake 1 2 or 3.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »

Yeah it's my favourite N64 game. Absolutley perfect.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »

Yeah it's my favourite N64 game. Absolutley perfect.

I loved it as well. Very well done I thought. I never felt it was a collectathon a la DK64 (ha! on a random note spellchecker thinks I should spell collectathon collectivization. Great word to describe the evolution of the platformer from Mario 64 to DK64 and beyond).

Do we have a timeline for when the successive articles are releasing or is it one of those 'they come when they are done' things?

My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »
Jet Force Gemini had 2-player co-op in the single player mode with player 2 controlling Floyd. That's why I loved it.

Also, it had jiggle physics. That's why my brother loved it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
I'm nominating it for RetroPodcast..  Actually there was collecting in JFG. Before you could get the last ship part, you had to rescue all the Tribals.  Ya it was kinda bad. But I didn't mind so much since I was in love with that game.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »
Jet Force Gemini had 2-player co-op in the single player mode with player 2 controlling Floyd. That's why I loved it.

Also, it had jiggle physics. That's why my brother loved it.

LOL, that's why my friend liked it. He'd always want to play it and make her run towards the camera. I swear it was Tomb Raider that gave him the idea.
My Game Collection

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
I was into PC games during 1999.

Same here. Though still played console/handhelds when opportunity came. I never understood the whole PC vs Console debate, since back then, they offered offered complementary experiences. Today, the lines have blurred a little bit, but the two...instruments still do their own thing.

1999... Didn't have an N64, but all my friends did, so we played Goldeneye, Smash Bros after cross country/track practices from time to time...

The nearby blockbuster had an N64 unit with no time limit, so many a days was spent there. Heck, me and some of the employees took turns, just kicking it.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 01:20:30 AM »
1999 was the year I broke away from my hardcore Nintendo fanboyism and finally accepted other consoles into my life.

While I owned a Genesis when I was a kid and loved Sonic I was still a Nintendo fanboy through and through. After the SNES I started getting into discussion and debates regarding gaming and decided to be the Nintendo fanboy.

How bad was I? I hated the PSone and its crappy looking games with terrible load times. The Saturn I bashed to no one and I actually wrote angry letters to magazines regarding their reviews of N64 games.

But in 1999, a local videogame store brought the Dreamcast right near launch. Not only was this store near my high school (like a few blocks) there was always a DC game going on. I experienced the rush of Sonic Adventure, the thrill of Power Stone and even Ready to Rumble was great!

It was so amazing that during Black Friday I bought myself a Sega DC with Sonic Adventure and didn't look back. Months later, I asked for a Sony PSone for Christmas and despite the graphics I was hooked with the games I played (FF VIII, RE 3, Unjammer Lammy and many more).

1999 was also the year I got addicted to Pokemon! A friend of mine started playing the game and told me about the stats, the character types, the Pokemon themselves and it all sounded so fascinating. But it wasn't till I saw an episode of the Pokemon show on Kids WB that I finally caved in and got "Pokemon Red" and a link cable. Man on man was it a blast being a Poke-kid. Best of all, despite my senior status in high school a lot of guys and girls were into either the series or the games, so I always had someone to engage conversation with, and thanks to the Pokes I made a lot of friends!

There was also "Super Mario Bros. DX" on the GBC which is easily the best remake of Super Mario Bros. yet. I became obsessed with collecting every printable icon and such. To this day I still have my best records saved on the cartridge!

Once more 1999 was a great year for gaming.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 03:54:27 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17898

Unless I'm misreading it, it seems like DK64 was GOTY.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
When is the next article coming up.I want to see the year 2000.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
We're going to keep posting these on a daily (as possible) basis.  I posted early Sunday morning (for me) so I figured I'd let it sit out there and let people read it.  Whet the appetite, so to speak.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog