Author Topic: WATCHMEN  (Read 29775 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: WATCHMEN
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 02:02:54 AM »
well i had a couple of issues of infinity gauntlet with silver surfer, and then there was the new movie...which i didn't see. So, i don't really know too much about silver surfer other than he looks cool.

I imagine the Director's cut is going to be as true as it gets. I wish i still had all my cg tools that i had in school
+ had read the comic before the movie. I'd have my own version ready.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:04:25 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
I'm seeing this tomorrow in IMAX; it's already a done deal!

It would crazy if this movie was 3D.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
im debating whether to watch it in imax or not, from what i gather the closest IMAX in phoenix is something you have to reserve to watch. You can't just walk in and get your ticket. I'll probably watch it at Harkins, its less populated so i probably won't have to worry about ticket sell outs

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 05:27:52 AM »
Just got back from my people-on-the-inside early showing. It's one of the best movies I've seen like ever

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
Nobody handles on-screen abs and scrotums like 300's director, am i rite
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »
i think this is the first time he's tried scrotum, what an innovator!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
no squid
no character development
batman was the narrator

it sucked
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »
I see another agrees with Ty.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »
We'll see. I do remember in Dawn of the Dead he had cut out a bunch of scenes that would have made it a better movie. They were in the deleted scenes section, and i have no idea why Snyder cut them out.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 04:33:49 AM »
I will see this on wednesday. I have been "coerced" into taking a friend for free next week.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
I was pretty hyped over the movie. It starts off reall really good, but towards the middle they start speeding things up and leaving out the details, for as long as a movie as it is it all seems to speed the hell up every second. One thing i don't like in movies is where characters make actions and there is really no reason for them. Now i know why they ddi things because i read the book, but i can imagine this screws up people who haven't read the book. I brought my buddy leroy who hadn't read the book and he had an "Eh" opinion on the movie. Normally when i watch movies like Harry Potter i haven't read the book, so it was interesting be someone who had this time. Also, the ending...what happened..did they run out of cg budget/time?  The squid monster would have been appreciated.  I'm not going to pass total judgment on this movie until i see the unrated director's cut version.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 03:07:34 AM »
I watched it. To me, it felt like whatever the movie did well wasn't really vital to the impact of the book. And it messed up what was actually important.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 04:10:04 AM »
The squid ending would've  had to involve the scenes that mentioned scientists opening another dimension and the island of artists and scientists.  That would've confused the **** out of a regular audience.  The ending the film went with worked, and they even tossed a bone to the fans with the whole "S.Q.U.I.D." thing on the monitors.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »
Hush, dammit!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
all he had to say was that he was making the world think aliens were attacking, one of my favorite part in the comics is when he has his hands up in the air and is like "i did it!"  I think with maybe 3 minutes more footage the theatrical version could have been better. Its hard to say, but Zack Snyder as much as i like his work is not the greatest editor. As i said earlier he cut some stuff out of Dawn which would have made it a better movie. Critics mostly are mixed on this movie, some say its great, some say its bad. I'm somewhere in the middle. I say go see it, its not going to hurt you. Its a 50/50 chance you'll like it or not. Another thing. There were a few complaints I heard that I have my own opinion on. The first complaint is the raspiness of Rorschach voice, first he didn't narrate but a couple of scenes he was in. On the website he sounds really raspy, but in theaters the rasp sounded much more subdued. I thought Rorschach was great.

Ozymandias was pretty good, but they needed to not rush his story like they did. When his pet shows up theres no explanation, and i bet the audience just thinks its weird. I liked the actor, but someone like Nicholas Cage or Collin Farrel would have been better. His suit was lame, and even if there were nipples on the suit they were never in frame. I would have preferred him dressed like an actual roman, eqyptian, or greek soldier/king in real armor. That would have been good. Nite Owl's costume was batman forever parody enough. Comedian was well cast, some people complained he looked just like robert downy jr, the character looks like Tom Selick, and would have looked the part, but the guy who did play him was good. Silk Specters story was altered and rushed. They cut out Hollis Mason's death which i knew they did beforei watched the movie, but they cut out the part where Nite Owl II freaks out upon hearing his death and starts acting like Rorschach. They cut out things like Nostalgia, the bottle itself isn't important, but what it does to move the plotline is. Janie threw the bottle at Dr. Manhatten's castle and destroys it. This is the action that ultimately moves Osterman to believe that life can be significant. He says this spiel about how its amazing how it took generations to get her, but he is actually impressed by her destructive power(my interpretation, at least by that action). They also cut the street scenes, which basically without them Rorschach's unveiling isn't so shocking. If i were to do the movie i would have turned New Frontiersman into a conservative tv show rather than a paper. They cut out that Silk Spectre smokes, which makes more sense than her just pressing buttons. The scene where Nite Owl and Rorschach are in a little argument but then talk about how great friends they are felt weird. I had watched that scene on IGN before the movie came out, and it was weird then.  It just wasn't a good take.

There were some nice additions though, while unimportant to the plot line i really liked the intro..that fight with Comedian and his attacker was awesome, and so were the credits which filled people in on what would have been details in the back pages, i laughed when mothman got taken away, when they found captain metropolis dead, or when comedian assassinated JFK, each one of those scenes had something to laugh at if you read the book. One of the things i was wondering about was the action, the graphic novel is so story driven that action is very little. The action was a lot better, although when my friend came out of the movie he complained that there hadn't been a lot, which I ultimately expected. Thats all i can think of to nitpick for right now

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
I haven't read the graphic novel, but I did watch the movie. While I do believe it followed the novel close enough, to the normal viewers, they would be confused as hell. Also, I was expecting what I went to see, as a friend told me about the basic plot before hand, but the commercials were misleading horrifically. This is all I can think about...

Kid goes watch a TV show, or movie, kid See's an advertisement with cool super hero's, explosions and action and is called watchman, they BEG their parents to see the movie, even though it is rated R how possibly bad could it be? Well this is what the kid See's in order from start to finish....

I don't know the language you can use on this website, so I'll make it "user friendly"

Start- Old guy getting beat to a bloody pulp, gore, gore, gore, gore, gore, rape, gore, dick, gore, gore, gore, dick, dick, dick, more rape, gore, gore, gore, sex, gore , gore, much more dick, much more sex, gore, action, gore, dick, they get to antartic, gore, gore, action, gore. Finish.

Now, the reason I say this, while I was ok to watch this and enjoyed the movie greatly, and understood it, through out the movie, a total of 4 families, with 9 kids had walked out in the first 10 min of the show, the rest were basically blind folded throughout it.

I feel bad for both the misleaded parants and kids of the world who were all misleaded by comercials of cool "heros" doing alot of action...

Besides that, I did like the movie.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »
the movie is rated R, what do they expect? Thats what you should expect in an R rated movie. Still wasn't at X rated levels like a Clockwork Orange, definitely not as graphic as Short Bus. There were kids in my theater too, either they don't care, or they're stupid. If something was bad going on my mom usually just told me cover my eyes. But as I said you can't be mislead unless you ignore the rating and the descriptors that accompany.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
Yeah, if you take your kid to see Watchmen, you either aren't too concerned with what your child is exposed to, or you're a bad parent.  You can't take a kid to a R-rated movie without looking in to why it's R-rated.  I saw some kids when I went and was just wondering what the hell is wrong with those parents.  There is literally nothing for kids in this movie, the violence, the themes, the rape, nothing.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »
i don't think your a bad parent if you bring your kids to an R rated movie. I think I grew up just fine. I think there's a level of violence that they have to be exposed to. You can be the type of parent that takes your kids to see whatever movies, but then never go hunting. Or you can be the type of person that takes their kids to go hunting, and then they never get to see scary movies. Maybe its not a good idea to do both. Definitely have control of your kids access to dangerous things like knives and guns. Its hard to say how people are going to develop based on what they're exposed to. Those kids that kill their neighbors dogs and then go killing people when their older are just sociopaths. Than again better safe than sorry. They probably shouldn't watch Watchmen.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
Some rated R movies are probably ok for some kids, as it depends on how the kids relate to what they see and their level of maturity. I think of movies like Commando, where its just some language and people getting shot in an unrealistic manner. Its an easy film to relate to on a lower level. Then there are other movies that have a sophistication that you just won't get without some frame of reference, one that most kids just don't have. Watchmen is not for kids. Even if they have read the comic, I wouldn't recommend kids to see the film. Its one thing to see pictures of a rape. Its another to watch it in action.

I saw the film last night. I liked it. I would buy it on dvd. Maybe too much penis, too much eye makeup on Dr M, but enjoyable. What I like is that its the comic scenes coming to life. I thought it played better than Sin City, though I don't have as much of a reverance of Sin City compared to Watchmen.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »
lol, its funny when people talk about Dr. Manhattan's penis, it was there but i didn't focus on it. That's what happens after going to art school i suppose. You see so much dick you become desensitized to it.

Its also true, if a movie has rape don't let your kids watch. I really didn't see rape in any movies till i got in my 20s when i watched Clockwork orange, last house on the left, house at the edge of the park, The Hills have Eyes(original). The most extreme that i saw was The House at the Edge of the Park..there are closeups its disturbing as hell. There were sex scenes in the Jason movies, but they were usually softcore before Jason stabs them through the tent canvas.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:24:46 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Yah, remember, not everyone are as smart as you may expect, they may not even relise it is r-rated. Some good movies are rated r, but I watched them. Sometimes they are rated r for stupid stuf, like one swear, a guy bleeding, or just a in-nude sceane.

It was very possible for people to mistake for one of those movies that really don't deserve an R rating. Even if you take away, the gore, fighting, nudity, rape, swears, watchman is over all a REAL dark movie, even if kids don't know their history, they would still worry about the over all story. I don't know what else I can say about it. If you red the book, or you know what you are walking into, you will like it.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
aslo the mpaa is overly intolerant on homosexual content, a movie with no sex or violence may get an nc 17 rating for a lesbian kiss. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
True, but no kid should see Watchmen, not without showing some extreme signs of maturity.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »
lol Watchmen if it were a saturday morning cartoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

just one lame episode please! With lame fake commercials too
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:49:48 PM by ThePerm »