Author Topic: DVD GBA  (Read 8542 times)

Offline Tokerev

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« on: April 08, 2003, 03:04:30 PM »
i just recently played the two towers for gba, it had a full motion video before the game. It looked very nice, with the size of screen taken into considertaion,  if they could harness large 1gb gba carts' they could make full length movies, where the qualtiy could matter on small screes ( for example high resolutions) probably not possible due to mass prodcution of carts, but how sweet watching move really on the go ?? any comments please post,

Offline Taco

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 04:20:03 PM »
Can I have what you're smoking??

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 04:24:50 PM »
1 GB cartridges?  Right now the development cost of one cartridge is around 12 dollars (US), so with a cartridge that big, it would skyrocket.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 04:35:15 PM »
I don't think there would be a high demand for what you're suggesting.  If I want to see a movie, I would rather see it on the big screen with smuggled in snacks and drinks.  No way again am I paying $3.50 for one lousy hotdog!
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 05:18:42 PM »
The GBA has a maximum cart-size capability of 256 Megabit, which is the same size as Zelda 64, and one step shy of RE2-64's whopping 512 Megabit N64 cart.

256 Megabit is 32 Megabytes. Nowhere near one gig.

Although they don't mention that limitation in the GBA's specs on Nintendo's website anymore (they did since before the GBA launched), so maybe the GBA SP doesn't have that limitation
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 12:09:56 AM »
I would think that 256MB is a soft limit.  It's possible to go higher, but the cost is prohibitive.  It could be that prices went down enough now to warrant it though.

Anyways, I would like to point out another glaring problem with this.  Neither the GBA CPU or sound capability is up to par for what you are suggesting.  Decoding MPEG4 movies is more than the GBA CPU can handle.  The GBA can run windows AVI format movies, but they are large, and seldom worth the trouble.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 06:21:10 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
T
), so maybe the GBA SP doesn't have that limitation

Didn't nintendo say the SP was the same inside as the normal GBA??

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!

Offline Tokerev

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 11:04:16 AM »
anyone here actually play four swords. And i have been looking on websites, when i found 1gb carts. Thats why i mentioned it. And it doesnt have to be high qualtiy mpeg4, since gba has about 260x180 res. It can use low quality videos where no one would know the difference on such a small scree. And scome onwho wouldnt love to go to school and just pop in a cart adn watch half-baked. Now all i wanna know is whos comming with me man, who comin iwth me.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 11:43:49 AM »
Nintendo could release a GBA SD Card adapter (they won't, but let's dream) with built in video playback. SD Cards are quickly approaching 1Gig (currently 1/2). Sure they are expensive, but we are dreaming (and costs will come down). A full length movie for the GBA screen size would actually be less than a Gig. I'll just guess randomly that 256MB would be enough for a 2 hour flick. That puts the cost for a movie card around $100. They could go the Compact Flash route instead. Those a a little cheaper.

A better solution would to sell the videos online and then transfer to your SD Card via computer and then put into the GBA.

But since the Gamecube is a "games only" device I doubt we will see my drug induced idea.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 01:22:01 PM »

And i have been looking on websites, when i found 1gb carts. Thats why i mentioned it.
Ah, the sad reason behind this is because there are evil people in this world who buy one of these and use them to burn all of their GB games that they ever wanted on to one single cartridge.  As mentioned, the cost to mass produce this would be incredibly high and not worth it.  But sure, if you're point is who would like it, I would, but not for some 70 dollars a game.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 12:56:13 AM »
Just to make something clear here.

The biggest N64 game was 512Mb (that's 64MB)
The biggest current GBA game is 256Mb (that's 32MB)

In order to fit a movie onto a GBA cart, you would need some miracle compression that would scrunch a 2 hour movie into 32MB.  Such an algorithm would likely take a great deal of processing power to decode.  The GBA's CPU is NOT powerful enough to decode Divx, MPEG4, WMV, or whatever else you might think of.  If you were to use an uncompressed AVI, you would need to reduce the resolution to about 1 pixel by 1 pixel in order to fit it on the cart.

Can't we just use our consoles to play games anymore?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 01:52:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Fammy2000
Nintendo could release a GBA SD Card adapter (they won't, but let's dream) with built in video playback. SD Cards are quickly approaching 1Gig (currently 1/2). Sure they are expensive, but we are dreaming (and costs will come down). A full length movie for the GBA screen size would actually be less than a Gig. I'll just guess randomly that 256MB would be enough for a 2 hour flick. That puts the cost for a movie card around $100. They could go the Compact Flash route instead. Those a a little cheaper.

A better solution would to sell the videos online and then transfer to your SD Card via computer and then put into the GBA.

But since the Gamecube is a "games only" device I doubt we will see my drug induced idea.

Just who in the hell are you?  

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 04:21:57 AM »

Just who in the hell are you?  

Dude, that was all luck. I was just dreaming about how to do it. Maybe I should make obscure GBA peripherals

My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 05:11:53 PM »
Well maybe it could all be possible come next console wars.  Personally I think Nintendo should now go onto perhaps miniature discs for their next Game Boy.  Maybe come up with some wild ass new technology for it, make like 1" discs or something that can hold up to 512 Megabytes.  if they can make a 3" 1.5 Gig disc, I think maybe they can pull that off and incorporate it for their next portable system.  If not, memory sticks will work fine with me.  Just really big ones.  I want a portable PS2 or GameCube, but that's awhile down the road.
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 10:03:36 PM »
Actually you can get your GCN portable now Stick on of those battery/screen things on it and you'll have almost an hour of play time! weeee

Um...obviously the GBA will not get an SD card adaptor. But one was announced for the GCN since it was unveiled. If they still release that.....
Then you could hook your GBA to your GCN and have the GCN do the processing and the GBA do the screening But of course that presents some probs:
1. You're TV is right there in front of you.
2. Nintendo is never going to get the rights for movies and put them on SD cards that cost more than GCN games

Now on the other hand....download MP3's from your comp and listen to em whilst playing Animal Crossing 2 or the Sims or Burnout or something....

Offline Tokerev

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 07:39:22 AM »
Jokes on you guys, they seriously just released official information on development for a song-boy type thing that has built in windows media type thing. With SD cards, thats right, SD, you can listen to music and watch videos. FINALLY I WIN !!!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 11:42:26 AM »
Um, they have that since the Game Boy Color.
And the video will suck. SUCK. GBA is as capable as running movies as the SNES, exept half the resolution, about....

Offline Chiphead

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2003, 11:27:01 AM »
Just to clear something up, GBA cartridges can only store up to 128 megabits, which is 16 MB.  But I'm sure some SD adaptor would be possible.  
Until next time, everybody, do the Mario!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2003, 04:03:53 PM »
Nay, the biggest GBA cart is 256Mb, which is 32MB.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 03:40:17 PM »
could they fit an episode of Pokemon on a gba cart?
without commercials it would be about 20 minutes long

i think that could be done, maybe 2 episodes per cart
and sell it for like 18 bucks

I know you can easily get them on vhs and dvd but i believe having it on gba would
actually be popular too, people will want to watch them on the bus ride to school
or in the car when traveling with parents

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
DVD GBA
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2003, 07:48:37 PM »
It just a soft limit. Nintendo controlls the carts so they say how big it is. They could do a 516Mb, but as it was said only RE2 ever used that big of a cart.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Windwaker

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 03:58:30 PM »
Movies are already being made for the Gameboy Advance. Check this link http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=4264

Offline Beave

• View Profile
RE: DVD GBA
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 05:38:55 AM »
Hi all,
Do you think users would be able to encode there own video and hence encode at greater then 10 FPS and at what ever resolution? That would be really good if you could, but i suspect that the way they're going to make money off it would be in selling the movies. Does the adapter do any processing or is it left to the GBA CPU? If thats the case maybe greater quality cant be attained.

I don't expect anyone to really know but thought to add some comments for discussion.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2003, 11:43:44 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
could they fit an episode of Pokemon on a gba cart?
without commercials it would be about 20 minutes long

i think that could be done, maybe 2 episodes per cart
and sell it for like 18 bucks

Are you quoting from the news? 4Kids announced that very thing for Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon, GBA-TV. Two episodes, VCR-like controls, carts around $20...

If you weren't cheating, you called it, alright...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
DVD GBA
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2003, 03:10:46 PM »
ha i guess i called it man!  i posted that on may 1....

wow this isn't the first time i've thought a company "stole my idea" lol