Author Topic: "Wii HD" in 2011?  (Read 35577 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: "Wii HD" in 2011?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
SDTV vs. HDTV is like VHS vs. DVD.  Once you get the new technology, you'll never go back.

I bought a combo VHS/DVD player for my dorm. I recently watched Kiki's delivery service on it. I will get Kiki on DVD eventually, but I was perfectly happy with the VHS copy.

Maybe I am a luddite. *shrug*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
Nah, you just don't see the need for frivolous spending on minor technological updates, which is understandable.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »
I bought a combo VHS/DVD player for my dorm. I recently watched Kiki's delivery service on it. I will get Kiki on DVD eventually, but I was perfectly happy with the VHS copy.

Maybe I am a luddite. *shrug*
Not a luddite, just blind. ;)
Grr. Argh.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2008, 02:17:01 AM »

How about this: When HDTVs actually have QUALITY output, that's when I'll think about getting one. I cannot tell you how many people gush about how much they absolutely love their HDTV but when I get a look at it the picture is pure garbage. Ghosting, pixilation, shadowing, artifacts, graininess and simply overall ugly color. I used to think it was just the TVs alone that were causing those problems but I recently saw an HD football game on an SDTV and a lot of the same issues were there as well so it's not just the TVs that are causing it but issues with the signal too.

To be honest, I simply know too much about the technology to be willing to put up with anything less than a clear, bright picture. Since I've yet to see that on a single HDTV  at any store, I won't be buying one for a long, long while.

I have to agree with you on that.  My brother-in-law, who is no slouch in the tech dept. himself, bought a top-of-the-line Sony LCD (Bravia XBR), complete with what was considered their best standalone BluRay player, and has it hooked up with all of the proper cables.  I must say, it is certainly unimpressive.  The depth and accuracy of color (particularly in the reds), and the overall purity leave a lot to be desired when compared to a quality CRT monitor.  Yes, the resolution is better, but that is it.  Everything seems pallid, and full of artifacts.  Furthermore, the quality of standard definition programming takes a HUGE hit, making it unwatchable for me.  That is a primary reason why a lot of mastering houses will not use LCD displays, except for those costing retarded amounts of money (like 10 times the average consumer-level display).

I actually had some hopes for the SED displays being touted as so amazing for the past couple of years.  The promise of CRT-quality and response times coupled with truly flat displays, and full HD resolutions would have been great.  However, that got botched pretty badly.  As such, it will be a little while before I am willing to waste my money on the current stock of HDs.  That doesn't make me Luddite, just someone who appreciates getting what I paid for.

I agree. The closest I've seen to a CRT-like image is from Samsung's LED DLPs.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2008, 02:34:12 AM »
I wonder if some of that HD improvement just comes from how shitty NTSC looks? I certainly don't see much of an improvement between SDTV and HDTV here (they have HDTVs in stores) or between playing an SD-res video on my PC and an HD-res video. It would be something else if I had to compare those shitty NTSC broadcasts (I doubt all of that shittyness is just NTSC->PAL conversion). Seriously, when they show Snooker on TV you can't even tell the red and brown balls apart.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
That's definitely from the conversion process, because NTSC, if anything, is better than PAL. Anyway, when it comes to HD, there is no PAL or NTSC anymore (not in the way that there is with SDTV), just different region codes when it comes to BluRay and video games, basically. I'm pretty sure all PAL TVs do 60hz now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
I recently watched Kiki's delivery service on it. I will get Kiki on DVD eventually, but I was perfectly happy with the VHS copy.
Not to stray too off topic, but get the DVD so you can listen to the Japanese language track. I'm not a Japanese VA snob. I actually like the the English track, save Kirsten Dunst's butchering of Kiki's voice. She makes Kiki sound like a bitch the whole time.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
That's definitely from the conversion process, because NTSC, if anything, is better than PAL.
NTSC is lower resolution and has no ability to accurately reproduce color. About the only leg up it could possibly have on PAL is that they can do a reversible film -> NTSC conversion. (I hesitate to call it a good conversion, though.)

Anyway, when it comes to HD, there is no PAL or NTSC anymore (not in the way that there is with SDTV), just different region codes when it comes to BluRay and video games, basically. I'm pretty sure all PAL TVs do 60hz now.
But not all NTSC TVs or players do 50hz, and some HD content--mainly British shows--is produced at 1080/25p or 1080/50i. I know that Torchwood's Blu-Ray release--even in the UK--was a 1080/60i conversion, but I'm wondering if that's truly going to be the standard or if we're going to possibly see some incompatible releases down the line.
Grr. Argh.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
NTSC is a lower resolution (before HD of course), but now 720p is 720p, and 1080p(i) is 1080p(i). The shows recorded at 25p and 50i are done because of laziness, I would assume, since you would not have to convert the video for SDTV in the PAL region.

Back on track...they should release it sooner. If they released the same system, but would output HD (and upscale current games), I'd buy one today.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »
Nah, you just don't see the need for frivolous spending on minor technological updates, which is understandable.

I'm sorry, but VHS to DVD is not a "minor technological update."
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

It's a significant technical update. I love special features.

But it's a minor visual update.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »

That very much depends on your screen size; on a 12" model, yes, it'll be minor. On 20", it's usually pretty noticeable.
Grr. Argh.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2008, 12:16:53 AM »
Minor visual update? I'm...at a loss. DVD sucks now, but compared to VHS it's incredible.

ARGH WHY DO I KEEP EDITING INSTEAD OF QUOTING! SORRY! ~Pale
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:46:41 AM by Pale »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:22 AM »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2008, 03:36:39 AM »

I agree that the visual update is minor.  They are busy arguing over 720p and 1080i and the difference between PAL and NTSC so that tells you what end of the spectrum their opinions are from.

DVD has many features beyond visuals that make it superior.  Special features as you stated, smaller size so it is actually possible to keep more then two around without it being ugly or bulky, no VHS players eating tapes, NO REWINDING OR FAST FORWARDING, and they don't degrade over time.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:45:25 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
Minor visual update? I'm...at a loss. DVD sucks now, but compared to VHS it's incredible.

I think Pale is trying to hack my computer and frame me for a crime. A crime of passion.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »

I think Pale is trying to hack my computer and frame me for a crime. A crime of passion.

hmmm... I haven't seen Unclebob around recently...

did pale kill him cuz of the sexy messages!?!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
More fuel for the Wii HD fire, courtesy of my main homie Michael Pachter:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index_plain.php?story=20565

If you ain't Pach, you wack.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
wasn't he the guy that said ps3 would be outselling wii by now?

edit: lol well one of many?? I don't care for what any analyst says, sorry Pach!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
PACH ATTACK, DOUBLE BACK. ILLEST ANALYST AND DAT A FACT

I'm sure Nintendo would be very happy to pull of a Wii redesign and sell hardware more often than a five year cycle. That's what they do with their handhelds. Sega tried overlapping and destroyed themselves with SegaCD, 32X, Saturn.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »
Wow that Packter's a real genius.  A new Nintendo console released five years after the previous one?  Get out of town!

Pachter suggests that the common sentiment from hardcore gamers that Nintendo has abandoned them is something the company "has to overcome," and believes a "beefed up" high definition Wii console is "on the horizon." "A Wii HD would really position Nintendo well, which is why I'm absolutely convinced there is a Wii HD coming," says Pachter. "Businesswise, they can't have people saying that their machine is a toy for my mom."

So if a Wii HD is to pacify hardcore gamers what happens to non-gamers?  Do both console co-exist?  Or is the Wii HD supposed to satisfy both groups?  How do you sell something to moms without it being regarded as a console for moms?  I honestly just think the no console could target both.  Unless Nintendo just releases a "gamer console" and hopes that their new audience will be familiar enough with videogames by then to be core gamers themselves.

As usual I think an analyst is looking too far into something due to ignorance of the game market.  Nintendo will release a follow to the Wii in 2011 because they always release a new console very five years.  To think they'll do so to address some issue or whatever is overthinking it.  They're release a new one so they can sell us new hardware again.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
An HD Wii would not be a big deal.  It'd have just enough horsepower to draw the same graphically inferior generation games at a higher resolution.  It'd also come with a free HDMI cable for the TV connection, essentially streamlining the purchase and setup for all the customers who are late to the Wii scene, but already bought an HDTV since the current generation sprang up and flopped about.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »
That rap is perfect for the Michael Pachter photo where's he's scowling and looking super-serious.  Has anybody seen that?  It's hilarious.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
Pachter is an idiot, when Malstrom demonstrated how analysts don't understand how the Wii deals with the market half the quotes were from Pachter.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
The real question on my mind is, what will the first true Mario game be titled on this new system?  Will Nintendo go the obligatory route, as so many others are now doing and entitle it, "Super Mario in High Definition!". 

Something about that just doesn't seem right.......

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:23:37 PM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....