Author Topic: Nintendo Pattens a new controller for Wii  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Pattens a new controller for Wii
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »
Source

Abstract

A game operating device (controller) includes a longitudinal housing, and a holding portion held by hand to be wrapped by its palm it is formed in the housing. A direction switch is provided on an upper surface at a position where it can be operated by thumb of the hand holding the holding portion, and a start switch and a select switch are provided backward thereof. An X button 46 and a Y button are further arranged in line on the upper surface of the housing. An imaging information arithmetic unit is provided at a front end of the housing in a longitudinal direction in such a manner that an imaging device thereof is exposed from a front-end surface. A concave portion is formed on a lower surface at a position corresponding to the direction switch. The concave portion includes a valley and two inclined surfaces. An A button capable of being operated by index finger of the hand holding the holding portion is provided on the backward inclined surface. By processing an image signal obtained by imaging an infrared ray from LED modules by the imaging device, it is possible to obtain an operation signal varying according to a position and/or attitude of the controller.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Pattens a new controller for Wii
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
...what in the world?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
 :-\
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:11:45 PM »
wavebird replacement?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »
wavebird replacement?

Looks like it plus with IR and motion sensor since you stick your wii remote in that gap. It could also be Nintendo proposed Controller shell before they unveiled the classic controller.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
PORTABLE GAMECUBE
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
LOL whatever then
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
If its wireless wave bird 2.0 I'm going to be pissed off.

I just got a cheap gamecube controller the other day and I already have 4 cube controllers, 2 classics .
but this looks cool and i want it.

more likely this is one of the thousands of things they patten that is vapor ware but stops other people from making it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 02:42:36 PM by Mr. Jack »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
I really can't imagine what use this could be. Also, I read somewhere that this is just the American patent for something they patented in Japan in 2005?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »
I really can't imagine what use this could be. Also, I read somewhere that this is just the American patent for something they patented in Japan in 2005?

That doesn't surprise me. I'm guessing this is nothing, a relic of an idea they once had and wanted to protect it in case they ever decided to use it again.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
Probably just a prototype, with the wiimote in there it would be massively unbalanced, add the lack of handles and you've got pain.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »
My guess is it's a defensive patent to prevent Microsoft, Sony, or even unlicensed third parties from doing the same thing.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »
Nintendo just stole Playstation4's revolutionary idea.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
I hope this never comes out. The Wii has more peripherals than any game system to date and it's too much. No more peripherals and more quality games plz k thnx
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
Maybe they're telling the truth about losing the Wavebird molds? If so, this could be their way of getting something wireless out there to all the people that prefer Gamecube controls on many titles. Even if they could still make new Wavebirds, it would seem silly to do so when they could pump out these shells for the wiimotes we already have for a lot cheaper. Only question is how it feels.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:38:14 PM by Smakian »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »
It looks pretty cool to me. I never actually purchased a classic controller but I have been considering getting one for awhile, but if this thing is just on the horizon then I think I'll just wait for this instead.

BTW, what will this mean for the classic controller then? Does that mean Nintendo is going to be pulling the plug on that?
is your sanity...

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:48 AM »
It looks pretty cool to me. I never actually purchased a classic controller but I have been considering getting one for awhile, but if this thing is just on the horizon then I think I'll just wait for this instead.

BTW, what will this mean for the classic controller then? Does that mean Nintendo is going to be pulling the plug on that?

Not really. Classic Controller is for Virtual Console you can't play Cube games with that. This obviously has cube controller support in mind . This could be replacement for GAMECUBE Controllers, they don't feel like making those controllers under prior console name so they release this to be flashy. I guess they might of heard the complaints that Wave Birds were hard to find and saw 3rd parties making money on cube controllers for smash brothers release so instead of re-releasing wavebird they do this instead.

i do think however its likely nothing, but knowing Nintendo it might be shown this year.
Reggie:" I know allot of you core gamers didn't like the Wheel or Zapper we introduced this year and I know you guys like the WaveBird controller so I want to show you Wave Bird: Wii Edition. Play your cube and VC games wireless with rumble and the brand you trust for price of $29.99. It doesn't even use Batteries it just uses the Wiimote for consumption. "

I could so see that happening.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »
It looks like it's the controller shell that Nintendo talked about a long time ago that will never see the light of day because we have the classic controller.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
It looks like it's the controller shell that Nintendo talked about a long time ago that will never see the light of day because we have the classic controller.

According to this leak your right.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/07/10/new-nintendo-patent-reveals-old-classic-controller/

This puppy was the original classic controller prototype. So unlikely it will ever be released