Author Topic: Still Smashing?  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Fazer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« on: March 24, 2003, 03:18:55 PM »
I am on the verge of owning zelda, finally...anyway, I tend to go crazy before the release of these big games.  I was just thinking about my cube, and how much joy i have gotten out of it.  Smash Brothers is still the number one played game for me.  Being in college, its easy to get 3 other guys together to smash.  I am still consistently amazed at how awesome this game is!  The strategies are endless, and so are the bonus messages seemingly.  Yesterday I got a bonus that said "You have played 4995 bouts, thats about a cent per bout"  Its little things like that make me love this game more and more.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is still playing the game as religiously as I have been, and if there are any tournaments in the Los Angeles area going on....(hint hint PGC).  I really want to test my dr. mario skills against others.

Offline ALetterNeverSent

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 03:28:47 PM »
I got this the week of launch and am still playing it. My brother and I do "drafts". Each of us go through the characters, picking one, then the other person picks one until they are all gone. We then face off against each other with our characters. If you lose with someone, he is out but if you win with someone, you can use him again. Really fun way to play. Breathes some life into it.

Shane

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »
Ah, yet another loyal Smash Brothers fan.  That is possibly my all-time favorite game (definitely the best fighting game ever, no matter what you say).  Whenever my friends and I get together we require ourselves to play at least one or two rounds of Smash Brothers (not to say we don't enjoy doing it, we love it, even my friend that plays Peach and basically "whoop-chas" through the whole match).  I even play it by myself, sharpening my skills with Marth (though in the past five or so months I've only been playing occassionally, so I got rusty.  Between my dark television and doing other things I haven't played my cube very frequently.  That will soon change, upon receiving Wind Waker).  But I cannot even begin to describe how much I like that game.  My only thing against it?  The secret characters are entirely too similar to the main ones (most of them), and that could have more time and ingeniuty put into it.  But even with that problem, it is still one of my favorite games ever, period.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joeyjojo

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 03:45:52 PM »
hell yeah im still smashing!
id have to say that although smash bros was one of my first games and i have since got many more, it is definately my overall favourite. and it still surprises me! theres so much attention to detail, in and out of battles. i was never really a big fan of the one player normal mode cause it seemed a bit strange compared to "regular" fighters. but lately ive been playing it a lot and i dare say, whooping asssss.
props to hal!!!
and oh yeah, if theres any ladies or gents in sydney who think they can beat me, bring it!  
"OMG! I gotz teh powerup guys!"
-rick "powerup" powers

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 03:49:25 PM »
Every time I have friends over (a few times a weekend), I challenge them in SSBM.  After they leave I usually play a bit more to brush up on my skills for next time.  This is easily my favorite game on GCN and definitely my most played.

Edit for parenthetical
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 04:54:00 PM »
i just got melee a few weeks ago and took advantage of the lowerred price. i've been contemplating getting it for quite some time, and when the price went down i figured i'd go for it. i've already played it more than some other cube games i own, unlocking all the characters.  and to Hostile Creation, Roy is way better than Marth hes my favorite

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 05:43:52 PM »
I play it from time to time. I used to play it 3 hours a day when i got it. Now i play it like twicea month for an hour. It's only because when I got it I had like 4 games. Now i have around 20, so I get less time with each.
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline BoMbErMaN123

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 06:03:12 PM »
I used to just barely play it at all, but now its the only game that I can play until zelda. All this talk makes me want to play it right now....i think i will go and play it right now! (my favs link but falco is cool to)
". . . And you shall shed tears of scarlet." Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 06:24:28 PM »
I have honed my smash skills for a long time. yeessss. i remember when i first played it on N64. those were the days. when i realized, hey u dont have to do button combos ( up, down, a, b, diagonal). I suck at street fighter but i just get this game. it is just simply a joy to play. has anyone played 99 stock besides me? I did it 7 times. urrg., it takes a long time. fun though. i almost did it 8 but i had to turn my GC off. ya.  

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 07:12:22 PM »
ehhehehee 99 stock games are hilarious, wait thast not the word i wanted, insanley long did them on 64 smash bros a few times.

ohoh a friend of mine and i did a like 50 stock match teamed match againsed a lvl 9 link and samus, he was pikachu and i was kirby, it went down to 1 life all around and the stupid idiot attacks a bobomb that happened to land between the group of 4 of us, BAMM we all flew off, died Link Him Me (samus would have been like a pixle away from dieing i swear) that was sure agrivateing to say the least ehehe

Offline TracerX

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 07:31:16 PM »
I don't see how anyone could stop smashing! True, I and my friends took a "break" from SSBM for a couple of weeks awhile back but other than that almost every Sunday afternoon in front of the tv playing. I'd like to say that this is the limit but we also have a really bad habit of playing during the week starting at about 10pm and not quitting until 2am-4am (not a good idea for college students with 8am classes). There's nothing like the rush from a good 8 person stock battle of Pikachu vs. Link/Young Link/Fox (one guy can't ever make up his mind) vs. Samus (me). Add this to the occasional extra person coming in and creating some 4-person craziness and you've got a good time.
BTW, Pikachu and Samus on the same team equals OWNAGE

TracerX

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 08:02:01 PM »
I still try to play, i have to play alone alot though, even though i have 2 younger brothers.  Thus is the life of the good gamer.  Everytime i play i win, it is not that they are bad, far far from it, it is just that i always win.  So they get tired of being crushed into sawdust.  I like to keep sharp though, so between games I play it often.  too busy right now thoug, trying to beat skies in one more day for the zelda release.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Fazer

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2003, 08:12:55 PM »
Its great to hear that there are still some smashers out there.  No matter what killer titels come out, I can't forget this game.  It is the ultimate college dorm game (or apt for that matter) and its the best fighter ever.  Anyone can play and get good ina matter of months.  My friend used to hate watching us smash, until he picked up a controller.  He has been falcon punching like a mad man ever since.  Usually we got some Dr. Mario vs. Marth vs. Sheik vs. Yoshi/Captain falcon action going.   God i love this game.  Thank you HAL.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 04:08:07 AM »
Hark!  Hear I a claim that Roy is superior to Marth in skill?  I think not!

Roy is more powerful, but Marth is much, much quicker.  I have this ability to keep people up in the air for entire minutes (which, needless to say, annoys them a lot, so I avoid doing it).  Thus far, only one has about equal skill, my friend who plays as Fox.  I haven't practiced very much at all recently, but I'm still very good with Marth.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 04:33:07 AM »
I play it by myself occasionally. It's hard to convince my friends to play with me, because they're all about co-op Halo...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 05:51:53 AM »
Give me a break. . . Super Smash Brothers Melee is ten times as good as Halo, even on its bad days.  And I can say that, because I've played both extensively.  Halo is very, very fun, but Super Smash Brothers Melee is virtual Heaven.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 07:37:48 AM »
Yup, I still play... in fact, I believe its in my 'Cube right now.  At the moment I'm trying to improve my skills as Fox, going against progressively harder enemies.  On the N64, I could beat three level nine characters... but in SSBM, the computer is much better and more difficult.

"My brother and I do "drafts". Each of us go through the characters, picking one, then the other person picks one until they are all gone. We then face off against each other with our characters. If you lose with someone, he is out but if you win with someone, you can use him again. Really fun way to play. Breathes some life into it."

Wow, that actually sound pretty fun.  I'll have to try that some time.

Offline DiggleD44

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2003, 12:36:50 PM »
Up to about about 2 months ago, i played that game every day. But, then i got Mortal Kombat and have been playin that ever since. I still do play the game though. Any word on a new Smash bros? Doesn't matter to much to me cuz melee is all i need. Out.

----------------------------
SYSTEM OF A DOWN!
MetallicA rules all.

Offline hylian sponge

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2003, 01:12:52 PM »
iv'e been smashing since january 12,2002,and havn't stopped yet.this is my most favorite game!!!!!!!!!!!!
my character that i am the best with would have to be peach, i can kick serious ass with her!!!
i am the sponge from hyrule!!!!!!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2003, 01:37:49 PM »
That draft thing sounds cool.  I'll have to try it.

A new Smash Brothers will come out with the new console, I imagine.  It'll be awesome if they have a Mario with FLUDD and a Fox with a staff.  And a cel-shaded Link. . . so good. . . replace the useless secret characters.

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2003, 02:01:17 PM »
Of course we're all still playing smash! It's the greatest game ever. But you know what? It seems to me that PGC lacks a staff member that's a true smash-a-holic as we are. They should find someone.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2003, 06:06:15 AM »
Oy. While I haven't played smash in a few weeks myself, everynight there are guys in here playing my cube and having a great time with that game. A-1 my friends.

Offline Fazer

• View Profile
Still Smashing?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2003, 07:04:20 AM »
i agree, there doesnt seem to be a real Smasher on staff at PGC.  If I was there, I would be constantly posting new strategies and techniques eg....

When you have an item, and a better item has appeared...why waste the one in your hand.  Throw it up into the air, grab what you want e.g. pokeball, throw it, then catch the item you previously threw into the air.  I love doing this with the fan aka the shield breaker.  The setups are endless.  Also, throwing an item up into the air above an edge can be deadly, if you dont have an attack that can knock of the cliff hangers.  The item coming in the air may be forgotten, and when the opponent tries to get up, SMACK, they go flying again.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Still Smashing?
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 07:52:20 AM »
I still play and love SSB:M.  Also, I play Monkey Bowling 2 all the time.  Those are my two most played games.  I might as well not even have most of my 19-game collection.