Author Topic: Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)  (Read 6545 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:36:24 AM »
Since the birth of the First Person Shooter on the PC way back in the early 90's the matter of aiming your weapon has been a primary focus. Early "2.5d" games like Wolfenstein3D and Doom got buy with primarily keyboard only controls because of their flat plane style of aiming. As long as you had your enemy lined up on your X axis, the shots you fired would find him. With the arrival of Quake and its true 3D world, Aiming with the mouse became the preferred way to play. If you played online (over a modem of course!) you had to learn how to use this strange new analog method of pointing and shooting. When Nintendo established the 3D era of console gaming with the Nintendo64, they brought a new method of control: The analog stick. Rare brought the legendary GoldenEye to the N64 audience and the first "legit" console FPS was upon us. The analog stick went dual and this became the standard way to play a first person shooter on the console for a number of years.
Hold it! I've got a big problem here. I suck at controlling FPS games with dual analog. I'm not really very good at single analog either. It's not just me. The gaming industry as a whole largely views the dual analog as an inferior way to play compared to the keyboard and mouse.  Tired of the PC hardware rat race and frustrated with dual analog I looked forward to next gen. The 360 was introduced, and the controller remained largely the same. PS3 is revealed and the layout is near identical to the dualshock (yeah, the sixaxis waggle came later, but that doesn't help me any) One contendor remained, and controller speculation ran wild across the internet. Finally, at TGS 2005, Iwata drops the bomb: a radical new controller with gyroscopic-like tech that allows for free aim! HOLY CRAP I CAN PLAY FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS AGAIN.

So, what have we got on the Wii so far? we let's give a run down shall we?

Red Steel

Redsteel certainly has its share of detractors. The first Wii game the public got an in depth look at, expectations ran high. I personally enjoyed the game, but plenty of others were disappointed in the controls, the graphics, and overall lack of polish. Fear not! Red Steel 2 is on the horizon and hopefully the extra time and experience that Ubisoft can give the sequel will result in a better recieved FPS.
Single Player: Yes! with sword fighting too!
Offline Multiplayer: Yes! Four Player Split Screen DeathMatch, Team Deathmatch and Mission Mode
Online Multiplayer: No! Hopefully in the sequel.

Call of Duty 3

Coming out at launch, this game was drawn up alongside Red Steel for inevitable compare and contrast pieces. In general, CoD 3's controls were viewed upon more favorably, feeling more fluid, or quick, in every way. Also, while CoD3's main characters didn't wield swords, they executed a small assortment of motion-controlled gestures like planting explosive charges, wrestling over rifles with enemy soldiers in scripted sequences, or turning cranks. But while the game may have fared better critically compared to Red Steel, there were relatively few fans who would forgive it for being a straightforward (albeit very "Call of Duty") one-player only experience compared to glossier, online versions on other consoles.
Single Player: Campaign mode
Offline Multiplayer: Nope. Zilch. Nada. Zippo.
Online Multiplayer: See above.

Far Cry: Vengeance

Yes, it's a horrible port. The graphics look first-gen last-gen, the FMVs tear, and my younger brother actually gasped in pleasant surprise the first time he saw the game run at a steady 10 fps. And of course, it's ironic that FarCry was a franchise reknowned for its graphics when it first came out on the PC. But, even though this title didn't quite make it for the Wii's launch (it was released mid december), it exhibited some of the most solid controls of any early Wii FPS. Too bad there were so few willing to look past the look of this game long enough to discover the feel of it.
Single Player: You better believe it!
Offline Multiplayer: Two-player split-screen versus
Online Multiplayer: Hey, this Ubisoft, remember?

Medal of Honor: Vanguard

Medal of Honor Vanguard that sounds decent on paper, but has some shortcomings. The Graphics are decent (good lighting) The controls are customizable. and it actually plays well once you tweak it to your liking. However it doesn't have the most inspired missions, the WWII sub genre is tired, and the game is short (I think it took me around seven hours, and I take a long time to play through games) However, a glimmer of hope was born with this EA title and the upcoming sequel is sounding good, plus it rocks the 32 player  online!
Single Player: Yes! But it's short and you've played similar levels before.
Offline Multiplayer: Yes! 4 player splitscreen  Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, abd Scavenger Hunt
Online Multiplayer: No! But the sequel does have it.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Yes I know, it's a FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE. It makes the list though because it has more shooter elements than the previous two GC titles, and it really is the definitive FPS on the Wii so far. Great graphics, sound, and control. It doesn't get much better than this. Not just on the Wii, but anywhere.
Single Player: Yes! and it's freaking fantastic
Offline Multiplayer: No! Samus is at her best as a  lone wolf
Online Multiplayer: No! Wait, does trading friend vouchers count?

There we have it, the First Person Shooter experience on the Wii. The future of the genre looks undeniable on the Wii, with Brothers in Arms: Double Time (tactical FPS ooooh) Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (32 online multiplayer!) Red Steel 2 (Can Ubisoft do us justice?)

Special thanks to Kairon for his contributed summaries. Now go forth and shoot something! In the face!  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:54 AM »
Moved it for ya.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:07:09 AM »
Thanks Pale, you're my new favorite staffer!

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »
So, what are the odds that PS4 or XBox 720 will include some sort of light-gun waggle? pwning n00bs in Halo 4 while being verbally abused by a squad of hack-happy 12-year-olds on an online service you have to pay for...SWEET!

"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:21:03 AM »
I think it's inevitable. I hope the sensor bar can be eliminated in the next generation as well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
Wii will be so popular, TVs will have built-in sensor IR thingies.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 09:12:42 AM »
Great job, ShyGuy.. You even hosted the boxart yourself - impressive!

Offline Multiplayer: Yes! 4 player splitscreen Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, abd Scavenger Hunt
Online Multiplayer: No! But the sequel does have it.
Too bad the sequel doesn't have offline multiplayer.. *sigh* Why, EA?!

Single Player: You better believe it!
Ahahaha, that made me laugh..

Questions:

Why isn't CoD4 coming on the Wii?

Why do people complain about slow turning when if you allowed a 0.5 second 180 degree turn, the whole aiming will be out of wack with no way to re-centre?

Will Free Radical develop a Wii-exclusive FPS sometime in the future?  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
COD4 isn't coming to Wii because Infinity Ward has been working on the Xbox 360/PS3 versions for over 2 years. COD4 was originally going to be COD3, but Activision wanted to pump out COD3 faster, so they had Treyarch make it and had IW turn the *real* COD3 into COD4. Hope that helps.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:24:44 AM »
Thanks IceCold, Kairon wrote up the impressions for COD3 and FarCry so your lol credit goes to him.

- COD4 or a sequel/spinoff will come to the wii eventually I'm guessing.

- Fast turning is exaggerated in my opinion, you can get a lot faster turn movement if you use the strafing with the analog stick in conjunction.

- like Haze? I hope not. /sonytroll

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
The 180 turn could be implemented in RE4 style, of course this would only matter if the game actually required it, if the enemies circle you and attack from all directions.

Which is something I still haven't seen with the remote, and MP3 is amazing without a doubt, but I still see I could play the game with a GC controller with few exceptions Mogenar among them, I haven't finish the game so maybe I'm rushing conclusions, but enemies don't circle you, they aren't attacking in big packs neither and the AI has not been noticeably improved. The new difficulty is aiming well, not to quickly hit lots of targets, and I really prefer the latter.

Thats only a matter of focus though, Retro decided to focus on aiming accuracy and its great, hopefully future games will adress new interesting mechanics and challenges, they not only have aiming now, but twisting and pushing and pulling, it has far more potential than pumping switches or tilting your gun to look cool.

In short words, and as I have been saying since the remote reveal, I want a damn Thief game for the wii, please!
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
The upcoming Medal of Honor Heroes 2 actually does feature a quick-turn button mantidor. Of course it features online  multiplayer so I can see where it will come in handy.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 07:25:56 PM »
With the title "Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)", I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lightgun and on-rails games/minigames on the Wii. Focusing on the true FPS games is all well and good, but I happen to really like the lightgun genre, especially with our beloved IR pointer.

As I said in the other thread, WiiPlay's Shooting Gallery has such incredible first person controls that I don't know if anything can beat them. It helps that the screen is stationary, though..

There are three upcoming lightgun games now, which all use the Wii Zapper (writeups ahead):

1) Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)

Made by the guy who ported RE4 to the PS2, with the help of some ex-Clover employees. There have been reports of less-than-stellar controls and slow pacing in this game. On the up-side, though, it would be pretty hard to screw up lightgun controls on the Wii, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue. The graphics are a big step up from other 3rd party Wii games. Also, the story is supposed to explain more about the downfall of Umbrella, while summarising the stories of Resident Evil 1 - 3 through new gameplay. The best news, though, is that two player co-op has been confirmed.. awesome! Use the D-Pad for realtime weapon change (TM)!

2) Ghost Squad (SEGA)

SEGA's arcade shooter, which from personal experience stands its own ground. Featuring a calibration screen so that you can aim with line-of-sight. The reception to this game's control and gameplay has been very positive overall, with it being called an excellent representation of the arcade game. Best part: up to four-player co-op! Concern: It will be too short.

3) The Legend of Zelda Crossbow Training

Not much known. Included with Wii Zapper for $19.99 US MSRP. World is inspired by Twilight Princess.

NOTE: Thanks to VGBoxArt.com for all the boxart.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »
IceCold, bringing in da noise, bringing in da funk! Too bad the Light Gun genre is dead!

..Wait RE:UC  is NipTuck?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
This one's been out for a while in Japan but has no US or PAL date anounced:

IGN says this one doesn't suck. Can't find other reports on it though. Whether you'll be able to attach a second Wiimote to your shin when playing Char is unknown. The IGN comments section has comments saying that it's a port of a DC game but the descriptions on Wiki suggest that only some game mechanics, not the content is shared (i.e. different missions).
Singleplayer: Yep. Plenty of modes but total length unknown. Expect the worst.
Offline Multiplayer: Cooperative and Versus. Quality unknown.
Online Multiplayer: AFAIK no.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting Things (From a First Person Point of View)
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 02:15:34 AM »
Wow. This thread could use an update...
who's up to the task?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »
Wow talk about a major bump. I think Shyguy should do it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 10:22:35 AM »
Ok I guess I will help ShyGuy out.

The Conduit

The Conduit is the latest Wii FPS. It has very good graphics. Lots of customizable controls.12 player online with Free for all matches,Team Reaper and Team Objective match types.Within those there is a number of match types. There is Quick Match,Marathon, 3 strikes,Last Man Standing,ASE Football,and Bounty Hunter.
In the Team Reaper rule type you can play a quick match,Marathon and Shared stock.
Team Objective consists of Quick Match,Marathon,Killing Override, and Single ASE.The Team objective is like Capture the Flag.The game can be played with friends,Regional and World Wide much like Mario Kart Wii.

Launch Trailer

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
Oh, right, let's add WiiWare...

Onslaught
[no box art]

It's an old-school shoot-every-thing-that-moves FPS with score hunts and well integrated Wii controls.

Singleplayer: About 3 hours for one run but has plenty of difficulty and repeated playthroughs are encouraged (plus it's a score hunt).
Multiplayer (local): Nope
Multiplayer (online): Up to 4 players in coop, either free coop in all singleplayer missions or ranked coop on a special map. Although it's coop players compete for scores.

Water Warfare
[no box art]

An arena FPS with a kid-friendly theme but fairly regular FPS mechanics.

Singleplayer: A set of short missions that more or less act as tutorials, lasts less than two hours. Also bot matches with bots that are fairly weak even on Hard.
Multiplayer (local): For some reason the options are limited, only 2 players, up to 2 bots and only small maps but better than nothing at all...
Multiplayer (online): No bots but up to 8 players in a game, very good lag handling so even people with slower connections can play fine.