Author Topic: GBA SP problems  (Read 5027 times)

Offline shoney

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GBA SP problems
« on: March 22, 2003, 01:37:24 PM »
i got my SP a few days ago and i have been playing some pokemon but here is the problem when the light is on the dust also lights up and shows. i wiped off the dust but there is some underneath i cant get it out. is there any way to get the dust from under the protective screen?

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 02:02:36 PM »
You could try taking it back to the place you got it for a new one.  I got Best Buys 2 year replacement deal, but luckely I don't have any dust under the screen.  If it gets scratched or anything that is covered too so gotta love that.  

As long as you are within 90-days after purchase I think most stores will swap emm out for free.

Offline Stewpot

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 05:28:36 PM »
I purchased a SP last Thursday from Wal-Mart and it had dust under the screen.  The dust under the screen did not interfere too badly, but I figure I paid $100 for a product that should be free from defect.  I returned to Wal-Mart today and they replaced it.  The new SP has no problems with dust under the screen.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Offline slunk007

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 04:44:41 PM »
My screen is dust free.  However, my lid is loose compared to my friend's SP.  This is really frustrating while playing SFA3 because trying to do the moves makes the screen jiggle like crazy.  I'll be exchanging this one for a new Platinum when I get a chance.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Slunk007

Offline blablamax

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 12:28:24 AM »

Originally posted by: slunk007
My screen is dust free.  However, my lid is loose compared to my friend's SP.  This is really frustrating while playing SFA3 because trying to do the moves makes the screen jiggle like crazy.  I'll be exchanging this one for a new Platinum when I get a chance.

Slunk007

Can you please show us a picture of the SP with the dust. Thank you.
IF I BREAK THE FORUM SCROLLING WITH MY SIGNATURE AGAIN, I'LL *************** hoo...STFU!!!

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 05:23:21 PM »
I had the same problem, a service rep at Nintendo said it happens.  His advice to me was to play for a week or two, it may/may not go away.  If the problem persists, and is preventing my enjoyment in anyway, to send it in and get it fixed free of charge.  

Offline slunk007

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 05:11:31 PM »

Originally posted by: blablamax

Originally posted by: slunk007

Slunk007

Can you please show us a picture of the SP with the dust. Thank you.

Like I said, I DON'T have any dust on my screen.  So showing you a picture of my SP with dust doesn't make sense.  If I had a camera, which I don't then I would, if I could.

Update:  i emailed repair@noa.nintendo.com  and so far those lazy bums haven't replied.  Also, I've noticed that the proclaimed battery life of 10 hours with the light on is not happening on my unit.  I get maybe 6 hours max.  I sure picked up the wrong box!

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 08:33:49 PM »
my lid does seem loose as well, or at least looser then it did the 1st couple days i had it.

when in the open position it has a little play each way now before it has the tension again.

is that how all are or should i swap it out?

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 11:54:56 AM »
My lid seems a bit looser too.  However, it is not controlled by a spring, so I don't think this will continue to worsen.  That's just me though.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline slunk007

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 03:46:07 PM »
When NOA replied to my email after a week and a half, they reffered me to a local repair center.  They do Nintendo warranty fixes and other stuff.  When I called the repair center, they said that they might not have the equipment to fix the SP since it is so new.  I'll take mine in there soon.

The stupid place I bought the SP from wont let me return it.  I would consider this a defect.  The owner begs to differ.

Offline Nat

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 03:22:24 PM »
 How does dust get under the screen? Did the GBASP come like this, or did this happen over time? I never heard of these problems until the GBASP came out.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2003, 04:20:38 PM »
I'm not sure if it's actually dust or something else. Mine has a small white speck in the lower right corner that only shows up if the screen is dark. It looks more like a tiny pixel is not lighting up or something. However, you have to be looking for it to see it. I played mine for 6 or 7 hours before I even saw it. It doesn't bother me at all. If you took a picture of it, it would never show up on the film.

My lid is also very tight but I've only had it a few days now.

Offline ezaphlix

• View Profile
GBA SP problems
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2003, 07:08:04 AM »
I've had problems of a different sort.  There is this one pixel that is always white regardless of what's on the screen.  And a little above it there's a pixel that's always red.  The red one works fine when displaying a light colour, it's just the darker colours that make it go red.  And no, it's not dust.  
If I want realism I'll go outside.