Author Topic: review alien syndrome already!!!  (Read 32768 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
RE: review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »
I know he made several points, most of them good, about why he gave the score he did. And I know the Wii is capable of much more graphically. My point is that he spent most of the review talking about the graphics. That's not a good way to structure a game review.

Mashiro, I totally agree that games can and should look good on the Wii, and really hope Metroid and especially Mario Galaxy raise the standard for graphics on the Wii. But I think that just because they don't look great doesn't mean they can't be fun.

This is a game that should be tried, and if you see it for cheap--which you will, the reviews will scare off most people and cause some trade-ins, and the price will plummet due to lack of demand--pick it up. (Especially you GoldenPhoenix; you don't want to support this kind of game, if you buy it used none of your money will go to the publisher or developer of this game)
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
I know he made several points, most of them good, about why he gave the score he did. And I know the Wii is capable of much more graphically. My point is that he spent most of the review talking about the graphics. That's not a good way to structure a game review.

Mashiro, I totally agree that games can and should look good on the Wii, and really hope Metroid and especially Mario Galaxy raise the standard for graphics on the Wii. But I think that just because they don't look great doesn't mean they can't be fun.

This is a game that should be tried, and if you see it for cheap--which you will, the reviews will scare off most people and cause some trade-ins, and the price will plummet due to lack of demand--pick it up. (Especially you GoldenPhoenix; you don't want to support this kind of game, if you buy it used none of your money will go to the publisher or developer of this game)

I really think the reason why he emphasized visuals was that it indicated how close it was to its PSP roots, which is NOT a good thing. Like I said before, if this game was 30 or maybe even 40 dollars I would pick it up, at the very least I will rent it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
Well . . . NWR reviewed it, but it isn't pretty.

Cons:
Obnoxiously repetitive gameplay
Obtuse and illegible menus
Hordes of recycled enemies
Awkward controls
Muddy color scheme and generic art design

Final: 3.5
There’s no easy way to say this, but Alien Syndrome is one of the worst games you could get for your Wii. The game is a hollow shell of generic art, obtuse menus, irrelevant leveling, and soul-crushingly repetitive shooting action. Even the most ardent dungeon crawler fan will be hard pressed to find something worth celebrating in this game.

(Bolded for emphasis)

I think I'll be holding onto my monies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »
3.5? the legacy of Stan the super reviewer lives on! Way to phail NWR n00b!

I didn't read the review

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
the rat....nicknasty.....is...DRUNKKKKKKKKKm gnight!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
All I want to hear from the supporters of the game that they thought the final product was lazily ported and flawed, yet still contains fun.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
All I want to hear from the supporters of the game that they thought the final product was lazily ported and flawed, yet still contains fun.

Funny, that's all I want to hear from the detractors.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Funny, that's all I want to hear from the detractors.

All I hear from the supporters is how great the game is and how everyone is being unfair.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »
I hardly think that therat rating the game a "7" is calling the game great, by any stretch.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »

I hardly think that therat rating the game a "7" is calling the game great, by any stretch.

Well when a 5 is average a 7 is pretty high.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
Ah, but I don't think that therat is using the IGN or NWR game scale now is he?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2007, 10:55:57 PM »

Ah, but I don't think that therat is using the IGN or NWR game scale now is he?

Yeah he would probably give the best game in the world a 7.5

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »
So this is how you talk about the second-best game ever GoldenPhoenix?

Originally posted by: therat
the graphics are fine, yet, sometimes there is so much going on in it, you get lost in a crowd of baddies. the camera is VERY annoying to me, the only way to navigate properly is make you mini map unrotatable and look at that for all the route to go to the next area. (haha, i have a prob with the mini map as well, you CANNOT tell which way your arrow is facing on it. wth, there is a bunch of things that make you go "why", but it doesnt KILL the game)

To golden Phoenix, yes, i was desperate for a new wii game, but i enjoy the gauntlet genre, and this isn't bad, i had fun playing.

I played solo as a firebug (which i wish i kept doing). Flame is strong, and set them on fire. Flame depletes ammo, but ammo and health is VERY abundant it almost doesnt matter. You arent invincible though, you can get lost in the heat of the battle and realize you are dead.

Second time i played with a buddy i went seal. Seal has the laser rifle which depletes from your energy (not health, energy can be used to turn on a sheild as well). The laser rifle, when you shoot it, is very bright, i almost wish you can turn down some effects. It is weak as ass, but very rapid, id rather have stuck with flame.

My friend went melee, and even though you dont get the fun of running and gunning, he is UBER STRONG, doing about 120 damage when he uses a hard swing.

I also played as demo for a second, he shoot sshells like demo man from Team FOrtress, seems pretty cool.

To insanolord, you can use a trait point or two towards something called packrat, so you dont have to increase your str to hold more.

About the mini games, they are confusing as hell if you do not read the first screen telling you how to play. Aiming with the wii mote and flicking with the chuck was hard at first, but i can beat the minis easily now.

To kairon, how do you use the neural adaptars? they are in my inventory, but dont have an equip option like the addons to your helperbot.

They games cool with a bunch of annoying things i cannot believe werent irons out. if you ever see it for 30-40 and like gauntlet 4 player, its worth it, more fun then marvel alliance, but it was easier to keep track of yourself in MA. shrugs.

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2007, 04:22:06 AM »
can i rethink my opinion and say marvel alliance may be better? =oP either way , on the large spectrum of things, they both suck. no go play mario strikers!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2007, 04:56:58 AM »
I wasn't a fan of the game, but I think that's because I've just crawled one too many dungeons and it has grown immensely stale for me.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »
Hmm... I found Marvel: UA too busy, with too much stuff going on on-screen to enjoy. Plus, it's much more intimidating once you open up the start menu and contemplate levelling up or even just switching characters. Far worse than Alien Syndrome in even just those respects.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2007, 07:47:19 PM »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
Yeah, this game is much better than M:UA.  I finally got to play it yesterday and today, and I found it great for multiplayer.  Not just good, great!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:34 PM »
I played some 2 player with my little bro recently. It was fun, just like I expected it to be. I even had to gently insist that we stop because otherwise we'd play all through the night and I wouldn't have eaten anything since waking up.

Even better is that he could jump RIGHT INTO my game! Sure, I was level 11, the enemies were vicious, and he was a new characterlevel 1 piece of meat but... it let him jump right in and so we were just careful and smart about giving him the best armor we could(or making the best armor for him via the much maligned companion bot). Luckily he caught up in level quickly, chose different weapons than I did, and was soon kicking alien butt.

I was also able to get me some flame weapons. SOOOO much more destructive than my energy weapons. Less useful, but more punch, definitely. I discovered that I could assing different guns to the A and B buttons, so switching between the weapons for convenience is uber easy. My bro went explosive/projectile. We found a quantum ripper laying on the ground, so he's teching to that as fast as possible to be awesome.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
I went projectile/explosive, so I never used the energy beams, nor did I use the flame weapons.  My friends went melee, so I could stand in the back, or so we thought.  Then I got the level two weapons for both of my areas, and they're a little too short, but I started really mopping up on the experience.  As of right now, I'm only level 9, on about the sixth stage, maybe.  I haven't payed attention to the story.

Is the Quantum Ripper a gun?  I haven't gotten that far yet.  I think the best way to tech might be to use those leveling-up-like machines.  Whatever they're called, you can earn proficiency points, and I think if you start a new game and import your character back and forth, you can use those to your advantage.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2007, 08:35:40 PM »
Yeah, the quantum ripper is the most powerful explosive weapon, so my brother and I anticipate it to be very very uber.

And yeah, I think those proficiency things are meant to be used over and over again if you import your character to new games. With 2 more difficulty levels after normal and a level cap of 99, I suspect that the developers sort of see incessant stat building as a natural thing.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2007, 07:56:42 AM »
Apparently, you can dupe items by importing characters to a game, then back, while keeping the same character in the original game.  I don't think I've picked up anything worth duping yet, though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »
Oh wow. I don't think I'll do that though. It feels like trivializing the game in such a way would make me enjoy it less.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2007, 08:21:04 AM »

Oh wow. I don't think I'll do that though. It feels like trivializing the game in such a way would make me enjoy it less.

Would that put you in the majority then?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »