Author Topic: PREVIEWS: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition  (Read 10732 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:PREVIEWS: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 08:55:17 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Actually, video showed you wag the Remote left-to-right like it was a soda can.

urgh really? I missed that the first time I saw it, I hate tacked-on controls like that so much ¬_¬ they should only modified the aiming, the rest is too damn g!mmicky for me.

This is a not-buy for me, and I hate you all for supporting the port-happy faction of the console :P

I do hope we get the cheesy japanese ad, because those "wii would like to play" ads couldn't been more annoying, and that ad is so bad is good.

Everything's an issue with you :p .

And are you saying the "Wii would like to play" ads are annoying or that they could be more annoying?

If what you are saying is that they are annoying, how? They just show people playing the game and having fun. The Mii ads are even better. So what's the deal?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »
They've really outdone themselves.  The $30 price point makes it a no-brainer.  The gimmicky stuff is whatever, gimmicky, but the majority of the remote-aiming gameplay looks fantastic.

Offline Tansunn

• View Profile
RE: PREVIEWS: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »
Something I noticed in the trailer - in one scene, Ashley's wearing her slut ho alternate costume from the GCN version.  I wonder if they'll only keep the GCN alternates or if they'll add the PS2 ones as well.  Or perhaps some entirely new ones?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 09:43:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Knowing Ubisoft, I bet it will drop in price in five weeks.

I'm going to take this advice at face value. See you in five weeks.

*hugs his newly purchased copy of Godfather that he bought with a previously ignored Target Giftcard*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 09:57:28 AM »
There are really people who didn't like RE4?  

This is a must own for me...I love the GC version and still play it from time to time.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Tansunn
Something I noticed in the trailer - in one scene, Ashley's wearing her slut ho alternate costume from the GCN version.  I wonder if they'll only keep the GCN alternates or if they'll add the PS2 ones as well.  Or perhaps some entirely new ones?

The PS2 version had the original extra outfits as well as some new ones. Plus, Capcom has said that ALL of the PS2 exclusive extras will be here as well, so I'm guessing that includes the costumes.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »
I doubt that Capcom upped the graphics but the game will look better to a lot of people for a different reason. By being 16:9 instead of letterboxed you will be getting an extra 100+ lines of resolution that were being wasted on the black bars before. So if you have a widescreen tv (or a SDTV with vertical compression aka 16:9 mode) the game will look a little cleaner and more detailed because it will actually have a slightly higher resolution than the GC version.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
The only thing that dissapoints me is that those of use with SDTV's will still have to put up with those annoying letterboxes. Widescreen should always be an option, not a forced decision (which is my only complaint about Netflix, they rarely have the Full Screen versions of movies and I have to watch movies with those ugly black bars blocking some of the screen).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 11:29:51 AM »

Originally posted by: nintendogamecube86
The only thing that dissapoints me is that those of use with SDTV's will still have to put up with those annoying letterboxes. Widescreen should always be an option, not a forced decision (which is my only complaint about Netflix, they rarely have the Full Screen versions of movies and I have to watch movies with those ugly black bars blocking some of the screen).

The funny thing is that even with a widescreen HD TV you still get those black bars at times, unless you have a DVD player that stretches the image (which looks like crap BTW). Personally I don't really mind them, except they are really hard on Plasma TVs, which I have.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 12:42:08 PM »
Off topic but shame on people that still use "full screen" dvds. The problem is that they use incorrect wording for dvds, Widescreen dvds should be called OAR (original aspect ratio) meaning the way it was shot, so in a way those are the real full screen. Films use different ratios than tvs (mostly 2 different ones).

Full screen dvds = Pan & Scan/cropped into 4x3
Widescreen dvds = Original Aspect Ratio (the way the movie was shot)

Pan & Scan dvds dont really look better because what you are getting in screen size you lose on the formatting and alteration of the picture. I hate full screen dvds, those things shouldn't exist anymore. But a big part of the problem with this lies with movie and consumer electronics industry doing a real sh*tty job in explaining to people the difference between widescreen and full screen. There will always be people that want their screen filled even if it degrades the picture, so all dvd players should have a zoom function that automatically fills the screen (be it 4x3 or 16x9). That would have been better than having 2 separate releases for movies.

Videogames are a different situation since there is no true aspect ratio, so they should have both, but RE4 was a decision made on the gameplay style, I think they thought it was better this way so your peripheral view wasn't as limited.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

urgh really? I missed that the first time I saw it, I hate tacked-on controls like that so much ¬_¬ they should only modified the aiming, the rest is too damn g!mmicky for me.

This is a not-buy for me, and I hate you all for supporting the port-happy faction of the console :P

I do hope we get the cheesy japanese ad, because those "wii would like to play" ads couldn't been more annoying, and that ad is so bad is good.

And are you saying the "Wii would like to play" ads are annoying or that they could be more annoying?

If what you are saying is that they are annoying, how? They just show people playing the game and having fun. The Mii ads are even better. So what's the deal?

oh well, my english is far from perfect, but I think I said "coud not" not "could", and that the RE4 japanese ad is good because is really bad and cheesy. I blame the internet, I should had never practiced my english by reading forums and news articles.

The other commercials are simply annoying for me, in spanish they annoy me even more because they say "wii queremos jugar" making the lame wii=we reference dissapear and highlighting that hideous name in all its disgusting glory. They focus too little in what the game is about and too much in how its played, it's like if a NES commercial spend half the time showing someone pressing buttons. Of course I understand completly the reason behind it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying, I haven't even touched a remote and I don't need the concept to be constantly hammered into my head over and over again. I get it, and I get it pretty well.

bah, you made me rant like if it was a big deal when its not, but you asked.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

oh well, my english is far from perfect, but I think I said "coud not" not "could", and that the RE4 japanese ad is good because is really bad and cheesy. I blame the internet, I should had never practiced my english by reading forums and news articles.

The other commercials are simply annoying for me, in spanish they annoy me even more because they say "wii queremos jugar" making the lame wii=we reference dissapear and highlighting that hideous name in all its disgusting glory. They focus too little in what the game is about and too much in how its played, it's like if a NES commercial spend half the time showing someone pressing buttons. Of course I understand completly the reason behind it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying, I haven't even touched a remote and I don't need the concept to be constantly hammered into my head over and over again. I get it, and I get it pretty well.

bah, you made me rant like if it was a big deal when its not, but you asked.

Its retarded what they did to the Spanish version, but the rest of your complain is silly.

With the Wii, its vital to show how its played. You simply don't get the concept if you either did an epic commercial or just focus on gameplay footage.

But whatever, your issues to deal with.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:47 AM »
Actually, some widescreen dvds now are adjusted to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Little bit of cropping, little bit of stretching.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »
Yes there are a very small number of dvds like that, I think Bloodrayne is one of them, but then again, nobody cares about Bloodrayne.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 07:10:50 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Actually, some widescreen dvds now are adjusted to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Little bit of cropping, little bit of stretching.

Some were filmed that way to begin with too, some of them quite old as well. Akira, for example, was done at a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »
This will be the first game I own for 3 systems (I didn't buy the PS2 version I "borrowed" it and "forgot" to give it back ) since Zelda: A Link To The Past. Of course once I actually by my own Wii I'll have owned it for 4 systems.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »
This article sounds really biased towards buying the game.  I might buy it still, but it sounds really suck-uppy:

"Whats that?  This game is perfect?  Oh yes, it certainly is.  What's that?  It's better than perfect?  ZOMGs!"

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario323
This article sounds really biased towards buying the game.  I might buy it still, but it sounds really suck-uppy:

"Whats that?  This game is perfect?  Oh yes, it certainly is.  What's that?  It's better than perfect?  ZOMGs!"

How much did you read into it? The first paragraphs were very sarcastic like, but the rest of the article actually applauded the port and mentioned that this could be the definite version to own.

...Unless you were being sarcastic about it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 07:32:24 PM »
It's a great game and all, but I'm with mantidor and whoever else on this one - I wouldn't buy it again for Wii, even for Ada's extras. It would just be way too boring.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »
OH, I WONDER IF MOTION CONTROLS ARE USED TO THROW EGGS
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 05:07:38 AM »
I hate it when people borrow stuff and forget to give it back.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 07:59:41 AM »
I just remembered something. Sometime last year Shiggy mentioned that the Wii would get updated versions of GC games at a bargain price.

RE 4 may be the first in a line of bargain priced GC updates.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer