Author Topic: More FF Games Coming ...?  (Read 8546 times)

Offline CaptainN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
More FF Games Coming ...?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2003, 11:55:08 AM »
I don't understand what all this fuss is about GDS and Square ...

Listen, there is no difference between the two -- GDS = Squaresoft.  I don't understand why we're making such a HUGE deal out of this. The same guys who are making the othr FF games are on the Gamecube projects; it's not really as if GDS is an entirely separate entity from Squaresoft.

The basic story is Square was getting mounting pressure by its own employees who wanted to work on Nintendo games. Yes, the Q Fund set this up, but it was internal discontent that led to Square getting back on the Big N.  Money alone did not drive this entire "coup."

And on that note, who cares if it's GDS or Square -- they have access to the SAME franchises, and contractually, I'd prefer Square games coming from GDS, as that empowers the Big N to oversee the project and ensure we don't get a cheap piece of steak from Squaresoft. Miyamoto is keeping his keen eyes over Fund Q games (likely the same thing driving the recent MGS project...) ... and I'd have it no other way.
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2003, 12:20:16 PM »

Originally posted by: CaptainN

The basic story is Square was getting mounting pressure by its own employees who wanted to work on Nintendo games. Yes, the Q Fund set this up, but it was internal discontent that led to Square getting back on the Big N.  Money alone did not drive this entire "coup."

Well there is a prety big difference. Square makes and pays to make Square games.  Nintendo is paying for FFCC. ALso, where did you hear about this internal discontent at Square, i've never heard about that before.  

The GBA development rights is what drived this project, that's what Square wanted.

"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2003, 05:36:51 PM »
While I'll believe the rumor about more GC Square games when I see them (hopefully at E3 , but I'm not holding my breath ), I'll vouch for the discontent at Square being a factor in reopening relations with Nintendo.  Let's see, Square lost the Xenogears team to Namco, a good portion of the Secret of Mana team to Brownie Brown, a couple more staff members to Skip, and who knows who else has abandoned ship for greener pastures.  I certainly can't think of another developer who has had so many high-profile losses in the recent past (although Square has recouped somewhat by absorbing Quest).  The director of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles wanted to make a game utilizing the GC/GBA connection, Square simply thought they could kill two birds with one stone by making a vital employee happy and getting access to the GBA market.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2003, 06:56:49 PM »
all i have to say is that regardless of it is true or not, from a financial standpoint it could be very efficient.  Forget the remake, just port it over.  Quick easy and cheap.  And the games WILL UNQUESTIONABLEY SELL.  I could see it happening.  We'll see though... hopefully at E3.  Wouldn't that make us all happy.  When is E3 anyway, i forgot.  Oh well, back to Skies of Arcadia.  I have owned it for 36 hours and have 15 hours of playtime on it.  Who needs a life when you got RPG's.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2003, 05:28:41 AM »

Originally posted by: CaptainN
The basic story is Square was getting mounting pressure by its own employees who wanted to work on Nintendo games.
I don't believe this rumor at all.  Programmers don't care if they are programming a PS2 or a GC.  The above statement was probably made up by a Nintendo fanboy (not necessarily you).  The Square employees care about the GAME, not the system.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2003, 06:44:52 AM »
I think the GDS argument is that, while Square-Enix may not be making games for the Cube directly, GDS and Genius Sorority are supposedly doing so.  I don't know how that relates to licenses and such, but... well it leaves the door open for stuff to come our way. I don't see why Square would port FF7-9 to the PS2 since they already run on it, but if they want to go broke, that's their problem.

"Programmers don't care if they are programming a PS2 or a GC"

That's flat out wrong. Every studio I've ever heard talk has said they hate developing for the PS2. It's a hard system to make games for, especially games that look as good as GC or XBox ones. It doesn't seems to force designers to worry about things other than design.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2003, 07:03:17 AM »
"That's flat out wrong. Every studio I've ever heard talk has said they hate developing for the PS2. "

That's because the PS2 is a bitch to program for, even harder than the Saturn, according to Sega themselves. Of course programmers are going to hate programming for that thing. On the other hand, though, you have the XBox and Gamecube which are really easy to program for.

Anyway, I don't want to get into the GDS debate anymore except that I want everyone to realize that GDS does NOT make any games- all of Square's Gamecube game(s) are developer AT Square and BY Square then released under the GDS name so Squre can get money from Fund Q. In other words, Square makes all of GDS's games.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2003, 07:25:40 AM »
In regards to the Square-Enix not making games for GCN after FF:CC, the only site I read it on was and I believe it was RPGamer.com, it stated that Enix, by itself wasn't going to focus on GCN, but was going to push Square to focus more on GCN to make up for them.  

I do not recall this story popping up anywhere else.  So I am more likely to believe that it is not true.  It would have been all over the major sites, PlanetGamecube being one if Square-Enix put out a press release/announcement stating that they would not support the GCN after FF:CC.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?