Author Topic: More FF Games Coming ...?  (Read 8549 times)

Offline CaptainN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
More FF Games Coming ...?
« on: March 16, 2003, 07:53:54 PM »
According to the VideoGame Report, Squaresoft's remakes of FF7-9 are coming to Gamecube. They're not exclusive, but are indeed being coded for Nintendo's cube. This site is credible (at least from what I have seen). It's a pretty top-down site, and reports only news bits. The site is pretty new. Still, I think the story is legit given VGR's track record. They spoke to a product ala GBA SP nearly 2 1/2 months before Nintendo verified it, and confirmed the US release of Ocarina of Time before any site wished to do so.  They also stamped Ninja Gaiden exclusity months before Xbox/Tecmo said a word.  

The people who run it stated once they have insider information with the gaming industry's US operations, and will deliver news as they are able as not to break any confidentiality clauses.

Take that as you will, but here's the link to the story:
www.geocities.com/thevideogamereport
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 08:02:14 PM »
Well FF VIII sucked balls.
FF IX was alright.

But FF VII!!! OMG!!!  I probably wouldn't play it again, but I would buy it just for keeps sake.    

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 08:24:26 PM »
OK.  Square and Enix have said they have no forther Gamecube plans outside FF:CC ...  But hey, lets not think about that...

I think this is bull, especially given it wasn't even a year ago that square canned the remakes.  Why woudl they can them only to start over again less than a year later.  Also, they say that they aren't exclusive.  That means they'd be going to the PS2 as well.  It's safe to bet these are going to be ports with no graphical enhancements (Except for maybe improved FMV scenes).  Why would square put the money into PS2 version of the remakes, when these remakes can be bought right now and played on the PS2.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 08:34:37 PM »
nothing but speculation. I don't expect any announcement by Square.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 10:29:55 PM »
Forester: I don't remember Square saying anything- it was Enix who said they wouldn't be supporting the Gamecube much at all. I'm pretty sure Square never said anything about FFCC being the only FF game on the Cube.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 12:09:53 AM »
I think I remember Square saying something a while back about also having another two or so exclusive games in development for the Cube, but that they couldn't make any official announcements.

IMO remakes of FF7 to 9 would be an easy fit on the Cube, since they'd likely be multi-platform, and the PS2 is supposedly only hard to port to/from when you're trying to squeeze a good deal of power out of the system (which ports/remakes don't usually do). And it's not like Sony would be as agressive to secure the exclusivity of "old PSX games" as they would something newer like FFXII.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 12:15:53 AM »
Why don't they just remake all the Final Fantasys and chuck them on GCN!
I'd buy every one of them! Well, if this is true, that would be cool!

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 01:03:59 AM »
This is as stupid as the FF7-2 rumor
u could buy ff7, ff7, ff9 on PSX,  just 1year ago in stores
my friend bought ff8 for 12bucks (aus dollars) just 8months ago.

they wouldnt port a game after not even 1 year off it going off the market.
anyway the snes remakes on PSX were crap, all they were was emulated rom with 5 new fmv's on each game
I dont want PSX graphics on my gamecube, esp if there gonna make me pay full price, since u can get the psx versions for 10bucks each 2nd hand

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 01:07:11 AM »
I think some of you people are mistaking "remake" for "port".
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 05:27:13 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Forester: I don't remember Square saying anything- it was Enix who said they wouldn't be supporting the Gamecube much at all. I'm pretty sure Square never said anything about FFCC being the only FF game on the Cube.

It was shortly after the Square-Enix merger.  THey said their development plans woudl be along the lins of 70% for the PS2, 20% for the GBA, and 10% for PC projects.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2003, 05:37:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Scyth3r
Well FF VIII sucked balls.
FF IX was alright.

But FF VII!!! OMG!!!  I probably wouldn't play it again, but I would buy it just for keeps sake.  

Hey, I loved FF8.  
it was time for a change.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2003, 06:02:32 AM »
Techniquely squaresoft isnt developing anything for Nintendo. Remember the paper company is really makign the game.......
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 06:59:53 AM »

Originally posted by: CaptainN
The site is pretty new. Still, I think the story is legit given VGR's track record
Isn't that a contradiction?  You can't have a track record" if you're new.  Hmmm.

"Zelda is being ported to PS2." - says my new gaming website.  True, I'm new to the website scene, but I've been wrong zero times so far!  I have a great track record!
/end sarcasm

I find it difficult to believe Square would upgrade the graphics for FF7-9 and then target a console that only has 1/5th the userbase of PS2.  But then again, if Square's access to the Gameboy is contingent upon Nintendo's demand for GameCube games, this graphics upgrade for FF7-9 would be a cheap way for Square to meet that obligation.

"The SNES remakes on PSX were crap."
Square never said FF Chronicles/Anthology/Origins were remakes.  They were simply ports, and I'm personally glad Square did that else I could not play FF1-6 or Chrono Trigger.  All of them are available on an emulator, but not all of them work for me.

If the graphics are upgraded, I'd probably buy all of them again.  Hopefully FF7/8 will be improved (neither of which I liked) and FF9 which I love should look a LOT better in hi-res.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 07:56:23 AM »
I like how the site is hosted on GeoCities, and has nothing but a front page.

Sorry, but this does not seem like a credible site to me.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2003, 08:10:04 AM »
When exactly did Square say they werent making more GC stuff? I read the press conference and they did not say this. Hell Enix had said before they liked the GC plataform It would be stupid to belive that Square got alot of Fund Q money just for 1 GCN game. Id be shocked if we dont see more than FF Chronicles. Personally it wouldnt suprise me to see a Super Mario RPG 2 announced before 04.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 08:22:24 AM »
Forester: No, I'm almost certain it was Enix who gave the percentages. Even if that was Square-Enix, it doesn't mention specific games. Does anyone have a link that says CC will be the only FF game on the Cube?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 08:38:40 AM »
I like the Final Fantasy series; however, instead of new games in that series for GCN, I would rather Square-Enix begin a new series on GCN.  Like FF was created for Nintendo originally.  I look at FF:CC and I don't see a Final Fantasy game, which excites me, because, well I'm tired of the continuous numeration of the games.  I am not taking anything away from the FF series, because it is truly one of the greatest series ever created in any genre.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2003, 08:46:14 AM »
it was AFTER the merger that they anounced the 70% PS2, 20% GBA and 10% PC figures.  Square-Enix havn't expressed much interest in the GC other than FFCC which isn't anything more than the payoff game they had to make to get GBA development.

And you have to remember, FFCC is not made by square.  It is made by square employees who were rented to staff Game Design Studios, which is funded by Nintendo.

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 08:51:40 AM »
I'm sure if Square specifically said they would not be producing anything else for the gamecube, it would have been reported on this website (Planetgamecube.com).  What they said may seem ambiguous because it leaves their options open.  I would bet all the money I have to say that if FF: crystal chronicals does well, there will be more square games to follow.  
it was time for a change.

Offline CaptainN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 09:17:40 AM »
First off, i didn't mean to contradict -- listen, from what I know, this site's been around for less than a year. I found it some time in Oct. when a friend of mine suggested the VGR as a nice, quick (almost USA Today-like) news source that distrbutes industry news. I notice they don't update as frequently -- more like once a week.  

I called it new cuz i think it's pretty recent. the place changed its look the past week -- it used to just list the news that it gathered.  all i know is this place nailed the GBA SP WAY before it happened -- i sh!t you not.  they had the flip thing too quite a time before nintendo even mentioned it ...

do i think this FF news is true? not entirely. it doesn't necessarily sound ridiculous though. sure, square themselves can't bring FF games to Gamecube given the contract stuff (but after the merger, i'm not so sure how that whole exclusivity clause works anymore). would it be out of bounds for them to bring an OLD FF game to Gamecube? Just with updated graphics? I don't think that's so far-fetched ... esp. since the-magicbox suggested Square is working on a few more Gamecube titles (at least 2-3 more) ...

The Sonic news isn't crazy either, Matt at IGN talked about this some time ago. In their Insider Gamecube list, Sonic is listed as exclusive for Gamecube, and I believe Matt said there were no errors when someone in the post asked if there was anything wrong with that ....
VGR was hinting at it a few weeks prior, and now just put this up confirming what they had originally speculated on ...

Beats me. VGR is just another source for news, IMO (just like cube-europe.com) -- I like checking it out because they seem to be more about the industry as a whole rather than direct gaming news (i.e. reviews, previews, etc.) ... Yeah, the site's pretty top-down, but heck, i think it gets the job done ...
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 10:22:45 AM »
  Square isn't developing anything for the cube, Game Designers Studio is...wink wink
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2003, 10:30:25 AM »
"And you have to remember, FFCC is not made by square. It is made by square employees who were rented to staff Game Design Studios, which is funded by Nintendo."

Obviously you didn't read the press release- Game Developer Studio is made up of a whopping 1 employee. Rather think of GDS as a figurehead to get money from Fund Q. ALL of GDS's games are developer at Square by Square and released under the GDS title.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2003, 11:20:14 AM »
I wonder why that ONE employee was also working on a PS2 game up until last December......... (He directed Saga Unlimited)  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2003, 11:22:44 AM »
Yeah, now he "directs" GDS. GDS doesn't actually make any games. All of it's "games" are made in-house at Square and released under the GDS title.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2003, 11:30:02 AM »
Still, it's Nintendo funded.  They are renting emplyees to make a game for the gamecube.  It might be getting made AT Square, but Square's not paying much for it.