Author Topic: EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online  (Read 21171 times)

RE:EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 03:42:08 AM »

This would be a good argument if the year was 2000 and online gaming was still somewhat new to consoles. We're in 2007 now. That's like saying we need to wait for rumble so that Nintendo can do it right. Sorry, no, Nintendo needs to get their sh*t together and get this out the door. It's a solved problem.

So you say making an online service is just as simple as making a controller shake?  What puzzle me is that if it's a "Solved problem" then why do people complain about nintnedo wi-fi?

Whatever, I still think that they've delayed it because they want to make it better then the ds's service.  Make it more then just choosing "random person" or "person from firend code"
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 03:57:36 AM »
It doesn't take THAT long to get your crap together and make a decent online system, though.

Furthermore, with Wii updates, they could release an early but functional beta version of the service and still throw devs a bone for online then release a more finalized version later on.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 04:02:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I've said it before: the reason I want to see Nintendo consoles online is because the prospect of Nintendo games with online features excites me far beyond your standard FPS/racing/sports fare.

Mario Kart, despite its failings, was still a lot of fun online. Same with Animal Crossing. Now, if we could get an online Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, Wario Ware, SSBB, Mario Strikers, Pikmin vs. mode, etc., I think it's safe to say these games would be absolutely awesome.

The real reason to have an online mode in these games is to allow players to ALWAYS have some competent human opponents, even when their friends aren't around or they kick the piss out of their friends at that particular game. Online modes increase the replay value drastically, THAT'S the real reason to include an online mode: it's the biggest favor you can do your customers and if it uses friend codes, it doesn't cost much in the way of online services to do.

How many Wii games are sitting on your shelf right now which you'd be playing on a regular basis if you could ALWAYS have a skilled opponent to compete against?

How many GAMECUBE games are sitting on your shelf under the same pretense?

Yeah, but be careful what you wish for.  

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 05:35:29 AM »

So you say making an online service is just as simple as making a controller shake? What puzzle me is that if it's a "Solved problem" then why do people complain about nintnedo wi-fi?

I meant others have solved it many times.  XBox Live/Halo. Quake, Counter Strike, World of Warcraft, etc. etc. ad nauseum.  That's why I made the rumble reference, this isn't pioneering technology like motion control, it's something well known at this point.  If Nintendo doesn't have the in house expertise then they either need to hire people or partner with a third party that does.  There is no technical reason for the delay.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 06:03:09 AM »
Thinking about it, is it really surprising that Nintendo just started shipping the online kits to developers?

I mean, it took them a while to ship development kits (and before that, developers were using souped up Gamecubes). So It isn't surprising that they are taking the same stance with the online kits.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX  Yeah, but be careful what you wish for.

How's that?

I don't see how an online mode could hamper the existing gameplay experience of the main game. It didn't in MK: DS, why would it on the Wii?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Thinking about it, is it really surprising that Nintendo just started shipping the online kits to developers?

I mean, it took them a while to ship development kits (and before that, developers were using souped up Gamecubes). So It isn't surprising that they are taking the same stance with the online kits.

It is surprising considering they had since the GameCube days to develop their network.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007, 06:18:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Magik

It is surprising considering they had since the GameCube days to develop their network.

When will people understand that Nintendo never cared for online gaming during the GC days?

Yeah, you could say "But they had the modem and some online games released!", but those were piss poor attempts, and that was generated due to indifference towards the concept on Nintendo's behalf.

Their interest with online gaming started with the DS in 2005, but NEVER during the GC days.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2007, 06:23:51 AM »
Nintendo rightly deserves the criticism for not being quite on the ball with their online gameplay offerings.

But that criticism pales in comparison to the praise they deserve for all the other things they did instead.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline otimus

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:03 AM »
I wish Both Sony and Nintendo would realize they should just copy XBOX Live as much as they legally can, and just live with that.
No friend codes nonsense.
No bare bones bullcrap.
Just a very integrated service, with actual communication options.

Sadly, I expect long delays for Wii online games, and I expect them to lack communication options, and I also expect them to use friend codes, and not the Wii code. Just you watch.  

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »
I think as it stands now about 1 in 4 Wii consoles sold go online.  That is a lot of people who want online play.

Voice over IP on Wii needs to happen when we get online play too.  For a lot of games, communication with teammates is vital.

Friend codes are fine cause they allow people to use the same name.  As long as exchanging them with new people is allowed and easy, friend codes shouldn't be too much of a hassle

The only bad move Nintendo has done, and had time to do, is they could have made Nintendo Wi-Fi "on chip" like xbox live on 360.  Therefor all games could basically be online even if it wasn't an online game.  While playing any game, you could check if your friends are online or what they are playing.  Unknown if a Wii system update cold correct this.

Ohh ya, and when it does go online, it needs to be called Nintendo Wi-Fi service, not WiiConnect24
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 08:40:06 AM »
VOIP is necessary because this is a big draw to non-gamers and casual-gamers in the internet casual gameplay community. Coupled with the right security procedures, VOIP could really sell Wii Online to blue-ocean type non-gamers.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
Acording to Perrin Kaplan she says worldwide online play is a "priority for Nintendo and you will see it."  
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007, 09:02:32 AM »
Kaplan says a lot of things on a long day.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: trip1eX  Yeah, but be careful what you wish for.

How's that?

I don't see how an online mode could hamper the existing gameplay experience of the main game. It didn't in MK: DS, why would it on the Wii?

It's just that everyone is bitching about no online for the Wii yet and in doing so many seem to be putting online play on a pedestal.  LIke it would be so much better if we just had online play.  And like online play is this holy grail.  

Eh I think many are just setting themselves up for more disappointment.  

When online comes, folks will bitch what Nintendo didn't do, then folks will bitch about all the crappy online implentations on a per game basis, then bitch about patches/fixes that are needed and next you'll get tired of playing cheating, exploiting, smack-talking strangers.

Last your left  playing with a couple friends.  You'll find out soon you can't agree on the same game to get and when you do you won't be able to get together at the same time.  And if you ever do get together you'll have to type in all these odd codes and then you'll find out that lag kills the game anyway.  

All I'm saying is that online play is a mixed bag.  Everyone raves about Xbox Live, but have you played strangers on that service?  I quickly learned that what sounds so great on paper (standardized voip) is in practice something I could completely do without.  I was totally turned off from Xbox Live after a month or two of playing a bunch of punks.

To be fair, you can keep a lengthy acquaintence list though and you can overcome that.    Still that's a pain and really I don't want to chat with folks in games much.  Plus too many talk too much and you can't hear the sound effects or anything else.  IT's over-rated.  Hell I game to get away from people.  :P

Don't get me wrong I play online.  I love playing Battlefield 2 online on the pc.  

But most games I don't get into enough to continue the experience online.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »
I would like it if they do have friends code you only need to put it in for people who aren't in your address book.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Magik

When will people understand that Nintendo never cared for online gaming during the GC days?

Yeah, you could say "But they had the modem and some online games released!", but those were piss poor attempts, and that was generated due to indifference towards the concept on Nintendo's behalf.

Their interest with online gaming started with the DS in 2005, but NEVER during the GC days.

Than its just another example of Nintendo getting caught with their pants down.

The last five years or so were a perfect opportunity for them to plan and develop their network and have it ready to go.  Instead, we're now waiting till at least summer, at best, for some sort of online gaming.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »
I just remembered a cool artical from 2002
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=2057
:P

"I can’t really argue with their plan, at least they have one."
true in 2002 and 2007 :/

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Nintendo rightly deserves the criticism for not being quite on the ball with their online gameplay offerings.

But that criticism pales in comparison to the praise they deserve for all the other things they did instead.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Correct.  And I don't want anyone to think I'm a Moaning Myrtle when it comes to Nintendo.  Read my reviews of Wii games, or listen to my comments on the podcasts (when I make it to a recording, that is).  The editorial format is better suited for criticisms and layout out an argument, but I think everyone on the staff is really happy with Wii and extremely excited about what is to come.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
For me the whole "friend code" thing isn't too much of a big deal to me.

Cause as it stands all of the friends on my friends list on xbox live are all people I don't know that i've excepted friend request from.  And when it comes to playing games online I never hook up with them and play games with them.  

What is a big deal is with a game like Animal Crossing on DS.  It has Nintendo Wi-Fi functionality but you can only visit towns of people you know the friend code of, if you don't know anybody's friend code.  Then it's as if that game has no online gameplay.

So what matters most to me in online play is matchmaking and the ability to play with people I don't know.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2007, 06:45:10 PM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder
For me the whole "friend code" thing isn't too much of a big deal to me.

Cause as it stands all of the friends on my friends list on xbox live are all people I don't know that i've excepted friend request from.  And when it comes to playing games online I never hook up with them and play games with them.  

What is a big deal is with a game like Animal Crossing on DS.  It has Nintendo Wi-Fi functionality but you can only visit towns of people you know the friend code of, if you don't know anybody's friend code.  Then it's as if that game has no online gameplay.

So what matters most to me in online play is matchmaking and the ability to play with people I don't know.

I definately agree there, Animal Crossing had alot of wasted potential because it only allowed you to go to your friend's house. My guess is that a potential reason behind this was because people may put personal information (Maybe even their friend code! ::GASP: on the bulletin boards or find some way to communicate the information.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2007, 06:52:28 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I definately agree there, Animal Crossing had alot of wasted potential because it only allowed you to go to your friend's house. My guess is that a potential reason behind this was because people may put personal information (Maybe even their friend code! ::GASP: on the bulletin boards or find some way to communicate the information.

Animal Crossing is a different beast. Personally, I don't want random people wandering into my town and chopping down all of my trees. Given what you can do in the game, I think it's a no brainer why it was set up for friend code play only and I doubt it has to do with personal information leaking.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline InfinitysEnd

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2007, 02:15:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
Animal Crossing is a different beast. Personally, I don't want random people wandering into my town and chopping down all of my trees. Given what you can do in the game, I think it's a no brainer why it was set up for friend code play only and I doubt it has to do with personal information leaking.

Perhaps they could make it so there was a rule of "no axes" when you travel?  Or if they had Booker & Copper at the gates like they do in Wild World, they would say, "Would you like to leave your axe with us?"  Tree issue solved.

However... there could be the issue of people leaving trash all over your town...  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2007, 02:31:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
  • Why do all the online channels on Wii only connect about 50% of the time through my official USB adaptor and always-on cable Internet connection?

• If my Wii is online 24/7, why do I have to wait sixty seconds for the news or weather to download when I go to those channels?  

• Is your computer going into standby?  I don't have these problems, and I'm using the USB adapter, too.  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • Score: 20
      • View Profile
      • PixlBit
    « Reply #74 on: February 12, 2007, 03:07:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Animal Crossing needed common areas very badly. It would be amazing if a ton of people could visit a Nintendo made town and meet and trade person to person. I'm sure people would design their own new mini games and whole different chapter of that game would be created just by adding cmmon areas. There could've been bots that held fishing tournaments or special items in the common areas you couldn't get in the town. Animal Crossing DS was a huge letdown for me. I pretty much bought a game again, that I already had played to death. The online format opened up a whole new realm of possibilities and Nintendo just blew it off. Normally I couldn't care less about online play, but for Animal Crossing, I thought that was really a chance for the online system to shine.
    Check out PixlBit!