Author Topic: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...  (Read 77751 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »

Originally posted by: utarefsoN

Originally posted by: Kairon
Soooo... when will those darn *Rockstar people port over the GTA PSP/PS2 "Stories" games? When will they port over Warriors? When When When?!?!?!?!?! So many Rockstar games I'd buy if only they came out on a console I owned!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

when Manhunt sells well on the rev. Until them i suspect they are gonna take a wait and see approach. If it does well Rockstar being the capitalist that they are will promptly port evrything they got. And all other developers will follow. It all depend on our support. So everyone buy Manhunt the day it comes out! I for one will preorder. And if its an AO rating i shall buy two. An AO rating on a Nintendo console... a collectors item to be no doudt.

Huzzah! I'm doing the exact same thing!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »
What's a rev? Weirdo.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/manhunt2/index.html

Trailers is up. SIgn up for free at Gamespot, or wait a bit and somebody will surely post it on youtube.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »

Illegal monkey experiments? Yes please.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Damn. Shows little to no actual gameplay footage.

Ah well.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Ah well.

Shouldn't you be in bed?

Also, aren't you offended that they are doing experiments on YOUR people??
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »
how do I delete a post?

-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:55 PM »
There's a "Pikmin Bridge" in Manhunt 2, lol.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2007, 12:20:28 AM »

Ah well.

Shouldn't you be in bed?

I hope you're not implying what I think you are.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2007, 05:38:56 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

Ah well.

Shouldn't you be in bed?

The bed thing: Before the post I was talking to him and his mother over the phone. Before we finished the call, he told me he was very tired and awake since 6:30 AM and was driving his father all day long. So imagine my surprise when I see him posting very late in the night, especially after he told me he was tired out of his mind.

The monkey thing: Its all one huge in joke between our group of friends.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »
People are previewing the PS2 version. I hope they don't delay the Wii version. Unless of course, the controls need it. Better late than sloppy port.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162841

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2007, 09:51:39 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

He didn't mean Italians, he meant monkeys, since I resemble one in so many ways.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »
Someone from NeoGAF has the PAL boxart for Manhunt 2 @ HMV

I expect a press release addressing this by Monday morning

edit: I should add that the sticker is added on by HMV and not an actual part of the boxart
just adding that for those that may have thought otherwise.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2007, 08:01:05 AM »
lol
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »
I don´t want to spoil your gaming enjoyment, but I simply cannot understand how anyone can find it enjoyable to kill people in the most realistic way, and get points the more violent the killing! There is elements of mercilessness and downright hate in it. Why this? What has such things to do in a game that is supposed to entertain? Are we back to old Rome, where violence of the most brutal forms will please the jeering crowd? I thought we had advanced further, higher since 2000 years ago! The way I see it, we are all supposed to be civilized, or our society will not last. And don´t give me the excuse, or explanation, that everyone else is doing it already in all kinds of other games. Other games to my knowledge do not reward you in this way for killing more and more violently.

Manhunt sickens me, and I just hope for you people who have played the original, and who plan to play the sequel, that it all makes sense in some good and not bad way. I have heard that some people are helped getting rid of anger and so not goes and do it "for real" by playing such games. Why do they harbour such anger, that they have to simulate smashing people? I have had my rage, and it always only comes out in the way of giving people a good telling in their face (in my head, and sometimes for real allthough rare in order to avoid fighting), but never ever to the extent of smashing them in an orgy of sadistic rage.

The way I see it, that game will increase a persons acceptance of violence in hitherto in games unseen hideous ways. Not only because the player who buys and plays through it accepts maiming and smashing other people for a reward, but also because playing it in the game constitutes the same as to go and do it for real - on the m e n t a l  level. How can I say that? Because: everything a human body can do to another human body of evil starts in the brain. If you kill somebody in the street for real, you do it through the control of the brain. If you play it in a game, it is the same. Here the conscious CHOICE to hurt somebody starts. On the MENTAL level! Being Link in the Legend of Zelda series is to me far from the same, since the killing part is done by nesscesity alone to save Hyrule and not by pleasure. Manhunt is a game about killing for fun! There is NO reason for the kills other than for fun! Understand it any which way you want. I believe I am right.

And allthough not necessarily making a next-day killer out of a person who revels in it, it will certainly leave its mark on the player in various unpredictable ways. And this has been proved. By among other: IGN. They ran an article series back in 2005 which made mention of psychological tests that proved beyond doubt that violent media makes people violent ( I have it printed out, so I can give you the link to it if it still exists), and this had been tested to death and found credible. So games that encourage a player to go and do horrific things to people in the game, are games that makes a certain man by the name of Jack very angry. And I am one of those people who do understand him so well.

I am just glad it is not me who plays such games.

The very reason why I started to play Nintendo games in the first place was because of the bright, beautifull sprites, the fun in the gameplay, the music, and the wonderfull Nintendo atmosphere somehow there in every one of their games. But the way I see it Manhunt is a step in the wrong direction, a game which is living proof that some people´s entertainment choices have changed in a very dramatic way from how it all used to be once upon a time...    
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

But the way I see it Manhunt is a step in the wrong direction, a game which is living proof that some people´s entertainment choices have changed in a very dramatic way from how it all used to be once upon a time...

Yeah, the good old days before that blasted rock and roll littered our kids brains, and then that damn women's movement really set us back.  Lets nor forget about the metal music causing kids to kill themselves...oh yeah, Doom made us into killing machines too!

Give me a break.  You know what has caused the corruption of society?  Lack of responsibility.  Plain and simple.  Why is it that some countries are affected by this "violent media", but others are left wholly indifferent?  Where's your study into that aspect?  There isn't one because it's common sense.  We live in a country where family is a thing of the past.  Kids grow up too quickly now because parents are at work, or out of their lives all together, and they want to lash out.    
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2007, 01:22:18 PM »
Well America now works on average more hours then anywhere else in the world.  We beat Japan.  Though unlike Japan work here has no other activities in general.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

Being Link in the Legend of Zelda series is to me far from the same, since the killing part is done by nesscesity alone to save Hyrule and not by pleasure. Manhunt is a game about killing for fun!
Did you ever play it?

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
I listened to the IGN Podcast last Friday and they were pretty excited about this game.  The Wii Remote is being put to good use.  It falls within the same line as Godfather.  The Wii Remote gameplay actually enhances the experience.

The other issue I see being discussed is how the Wii Remote maybe a little too close to reality.  The Godfather: BE is definitely a good example.  While the choking controls are undeniably fun and life-like, if we think about what how the Wii Remote controls are going to be used in Scarface and Manhunt, it may catch a little controversy...and I'm sure the media's going to blow it out of proportion.  Luckily for Nintendo, there are other ports of the game, so it won't catch a lot of attention.  

Here's my whole point on this Wii Remote issue and I'm echoing what's already been said time and time again.  Responsibility!  Parents/Guardians concerned about this issue really need to focus on what their own children are playing.  I was raised in a gang-infested environment and was exposed to a lot of bad sh*t growing up.  I'm sure some people here can feel me on this.  A lot of the guys I used to hang out with are either locked up or dead.  Despite it all, my parents helped me to live through it and instilled self-discipline to help me progress in my adult life.  I'm almost 30 years old...an avid video game fanatic (more Nintendo loyalist than anything else), and I watch over my young ones to limit the different stimuli that they may be exposed to by society.  They're doing just fine.  

Another aspect of gaming is its no different from movies and music...all have rating systems and all consider themselves forms of art (whether you agree with them or not)...but I'm sure this is a point that's been made before too.  The bottom line is if you don't like what you're seeing, don't buy it!  Some of us actually like the progress Nintendo has made this generation.  
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »
GTA has shown that bad press is good marketing.

Wii is in for an exciting ride of EVEN MORE 3rd party gaming variety and success.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »
The Omen wrote:

"Yeah, the good old days before that blasted rock and roll littered our kids brains, and then that damn women's movement really set us back. Lets nor forget about the metal music causing kids to kill themselves...oh yeah, Doom made us into killing machines too!

Give me a break. You know what has caused the corruption of society? Lack of responsibility. Plain and simple. Why is it that some countries are affected by this "violent media", but others are left wholly indifferent? Where's your study into that aspect? There isn't one because it's common sense. We live in a country where family is a thing of the past. Kids grow up too quickly now because parents are at work, or out of their lives all together, and they want to lash out."

My reply:

I don´t know what you mean, when you write that some countries are left unaffected and others not. To me, this violence in the media is a scourge which saturates society affecting every person in the world who play games, or watch really violent movies. Sometimes I feel that the reason why there has been a surge in police brutality, militarization of the Police is because they deal with ever increasing brutality from people in society, and so have to take their precautions, and be ready to strike when the unavoidable happens. When people boil over in their brains.

I love Nintendo´s own games because they are fun, exciting and beautifull to look at. However I also loved playing Halo 1 and 2 and will certainly love to get to play (droooooool...) Halo 3! I feel uplifted when I play those games - the exact opposite when I get anywhere near Manhunt, Grand Theft Auto, Godfather. Being a soldier with a justified mission to save other people from the enemy is making sense. Manhunt isn´t. While I do understand some peoples desire to experience, and live out the role of a killer without doing it for real (and perhaps in that process alltogether eliminating any pre-existing, and for whatever the past reason subdued, subconscious-) tendencies or cravings in the direction of killing, maiming, beating to a pulp other people - I still feel that the gaming industry has an equal responsibility for rearing the players, and not just throw anything at them to make a buck.  

The way I experience it on a personal level, is that if I play something as violent as Manhunt, I get to feel like I step down to a lower, cruder level of existence, and I suddenly feel I am nolonger myself. I feel like I become less caring about violence, hurting somebody and I DON´T like that feeling. So I stay away from playing such games. You mentioned Doom, and that it did not make us killing machines. No, it didn´t, because according to the way I see it AGAIN there is a perceived justification for wiping out the monsters in that game - your own survival! You have to save that Martian base at Olduvai from destruction, and so it makes perfect sense to go and kill the monsters. Nomatter how much blood and gore is involved! You just have to clean up. Manhunt is a completely different quest. While I didn´t play it S-U-P-E-R, since I felt sick over it, I have heard what it is about from reviewers, and they say it is about being rewarded for killing people in the most violent ways. I have seen the screenshots from the sequel, where one sees some inmates beating another inmate to what looks like death. Fun, huh?

A guy working for EB games told me he had tried the first game for a short while, and had dropped it since he felt it wasn´t entertaining. I understand him well: The more violent, the more points! Where is the justification in that? Wanting to "lash out"? Is that the reason? Hey, I can see other more healthy ways of lashing out than killing people in the most violent ways! While I don´t want to preach, I do want to state that the integrity of a nation requires a healthy amount of cohesion, power of cohesion in that society in order for it to function properly. If it becomes a major trend to find it entertaining to kill people brutally for fun in games (and I DON`T refer to House of the Dead, Time Crisis or other Arcade shooters which are quite innocent by comparison as they still have a justification for killing), where is the next step? And where do you think that is going to take us? I think that if we just stand idle and do nothing but follow the lead, then things will one day get out of hand and destroy society alltogether.

People make up society, families make society as they are the building blocks of same. I wouldn´t want to be in a society where everything suddenly gets "out of hand". And I think that we have already started to see the consequence of lowering our tolerance of violence in the media everywhere in the form of the many highschool shootings! Have you ever thought of whether the people who make psychological surveys to establish the effects on people of various outside sources in daily life are perhaps right when they conclude that violent media (and especially violent games since the player here is the one making the conscious choice to perfrom the act of maiming, beating) makes people more violent? That it is not just about not playing a game like that, but about me being concerned for where it takes people on the mental developement level? Manhunt is a MURDER simulator - period. What is the next thing they come up with a Rockstar? A Cannibalism simulator? Yeah...let´s have some of that. I always loved that woman walking by me, and wanted to eat her...muhahaha!  Let´s eat her heart out. I really looove you now, don´t I woman? Or that annoying, stressed out idiot who always annoys me as he walks by in the street now and then. Let´s help him sit down more often, by feasting on his...legs!

No, joke aside: We should all watch out for what happens to us on a deeper mental level when we engage in the virtual doings in games. Really!

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2007, 03:59:23 AM »

While I didn´t play it S-U-P-E-R, since I felt sick over it, I have heard what it is about from reviewers, and they say it is about being rewarded for killing people in the most violent ways.
You should probably play it before making any more giant, long-winded posts about it because you're making a pretty good number of factual errors. Reminds me of how Lieberman and crew didn't play Night Trap and just assumed it was about rape and murder or whatever, lololol.

I don't know how many people in this forum have actually played it completion. I did twice, and I'll lay out all the facts if there's enough interest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2007, 05:07:46 AM »
interest +1

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2007, 06:43:07 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
interest +1

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
interest +1