Author Topic: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...  (Read 77749 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2007, 05:24:30 AM »
There's a damn good preview of the game HERE.
Read, then bitch.  
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »
pfft, the game doesnt sound any gorier than the first mortal kombat, just more interactive...i'd like to see how gory it compares to doom or doom2, i remember getting beserk mode and then youd get this nail ring and punching the enemies would cause them to splatter into a mess of ribs and organs. It looks like this game has a bit of the old ultra violence in it, but how is it more violent then all the shooting games ever to come out? How can a movie like Brain Dead(Dead-Alive) be sold freely in store and nto this, baff.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
alright reading the preview, this doesnt really sound more violent then the old mortal kombat games, only more interactive. I would wonder if anything could be more violent and gory than the Doom or Doom 2, in doom you could get this item which would give you berserker mode, you would get this little ring with a nail on it and when you punched enemies they would erupt into a mess of organs and ribs, kinda like a field dressed deer. It seems like this game has a bit of the old ultra violence in it, but is it really more violent than movies like
Braindead(dead-alive) which can be bought with liberty at video stores.

Also, lemme say, movies are tame by 70s standards. Everyone thinks Hostel and Saw are so violent and gory, have any of you ever seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original), Last house on the left, House at the Edge of the park(holy shit), a Clockwork Orange, or Cannibal Holocaust? Those movie are violent, those movies are extreme, it just seems that with the rise of the Tipper Gores and the Jack Thompson we've just turned into big pussies. I best most of the people in these forums eat meat, however, very few if any have actually done the killing. to me thats the most screwed up thing. We in the western cultures live such a sheltered and sugar coated life, and surprisingly thats the cause of real serial killers. People don't get out enough of their violent or sexual urges, and when that happens it builds up and people go crazy. Thats why video games and other media are good, it allows people to get out those urges and not do it for real. IMO its stupid to say these games cause real world violence, if the violence wasn't already inherent to human nature than there wouldn't be these games to begin with. They aren't going to make a game that nobody will have fun playing(unless they suck and have bad programmers).

crap the post acted liek it didnt go through for like 3 minutes so i rewrote it
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2007, 08:59:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Originally posted by: Requiem
So how is anyone going to make Wii-foreplay with all this commotion?!

Call it educational software.

but religeous groups will pressure the developers/publishers to change the content because it'd be promoting sexual activity and will be reworked to Wii-abstinence.

it'll play like the games in Wario Ware, in which you have to leave the wiimote on a table in front of you..except you're not allowed to touch it... cuz you'll go blind and get hairy palms

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
...it just seems that with the rise of the Tipper Gores and the Jack Thompson we've just turned into big pussies.

Yes...my favorite quote of this debate so far.  I am still pretty pissed off about those groups calling the delay of Manhunt 2 a victory.  I'm the son of preacher and I'm pretty religious myself...but a lot of these parent and religious groups really look ignorant when they start to comment on gaming.  They're like mainstream Gamestop employees who tell you to buy a PSP because it costs more.  Seriously though...a lot of religious and so-called parenting groups need to spend all that money and effort on educating parents on how to do their jobs.  

The ESRB should not concern themselves about stopping a game in its tracks, but start to enforce and penalize retailers who allow under-aged children to purchase these games.  

Nintendo needs to keep their mouths shut about the whole situation and let it play out.  They F**KED up on the original Mortal Kombat when the SNES and Genesis got them...and now they're starting to express their opinions when they've already allowed games like Resident Evil 4, Scarface, and Godfather to be released on their system.  As a matter of fact...you're not going to help third party relations by releasing a statement that you won't allow AO rated games on your system.  They need to re-direct complaints of violence to the game-makers when they're faced with lawsuits.  

For those of you who point out that it isn't just Nintendo...I don't really care about what Sony does...so don't use that as an argument to defend Nintendo expressing their AO opinions...

Oh yeah...

...In your ear and F**K what you heard!  
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
i agree completly, for awhile we have known about the "AO" rating and it was suppossed to be a ligitamate rating, now the talk is AO means CENSORED!!!!, go back and change what you have made cause those of us who arn't going to buy it or care about it anyway want to legislate their taste.......the more I hear about this censorship bullcrap the more i get pissed off
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »
Freedom of Speech and Expression menas that *everyone* is free to say what they want and express themselves how they want (obviously within legal limits).

If Nintendo and Sony want to come out and say "We don't allow AO rated games on our systems", they have just as much right as anyone else.  To attempt to deny them that right would put you in the same boat as Jack Thompson.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
"Just because you can say whatever you want doesn't mean we need to listen to you."
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »

For those of you who point out that it isn't just Nintendo...I don't really about what Sony does...so don't use that as an argument to defend Nintendo expressing their AO opinions...
How can you use the Mortal Kombat example then? You say it was bad for Nintendo since they didn't allow it while SEGA did. In this case, Sony isn't allowing it either, so there's a big difference.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »
I think the best way to handle this is through appeal. TakeTwo needs to show examples of the most gory and bloody games in history and compare them side-by-side to Manhunt 2. They should show GOW ripping out a cyclops eye or tearing off a half-naked woman's head. They should show Mortal Kombat's fatalities (especially Kano's heart-rip). They should show Resident Evil 4; the part where a chainsaw dude cuts off your head.

I think the wrong way to go about it is through other medias. Citing film examples won't get you as far since games are an interactive medium.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2007, 10:45:01 PM »
"Take-Two shares rose 21 cents, or 1 percent, to $20.82 in trading Friday."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070623/ap_on_hi_te/games_manhunt2

On another note, something is fishy about the investment firms cited in this article.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Freedom of Speech and Expression menas that *everyone* is free to say what they want and express themselves how they want (obviously within legal limits).

If Nintendo and Sony want to come out and say "We don't allow AO rated games on our systems", they have just as much right as anyone else.  To attempt to deny them that right would put you in the same boat as Jack Thompson.

Freedom of speech is not freedom of action.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 24, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
"Freedom of action" sounds a lot like freedom of expression to me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 24, 2007, 07:03:18 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

For those of you who point out that it isn't just Nintendo...I don't really about what Sony does...so don't use that as an argument to defend Nintendo expressing their AO opinions...
How can you use the Mortal Kombat example then? You say it was bad for Nintendo since they didn't allow it while SEGA did. In this case, Sony isn't allowing it either, so there's a big difference.

How can I cite the Mortal Kombat example?  I was trying to make a point about their third party dealings.

In this case, Sega didn't try to censor a third party game like the original Mortal Kombat...Nintendo's reputation for catering to the younger demographic while coming down on third parties started to change their games started right then and there.  Years later, they still can't keep their mouths shut and seem to be moving backwards with third parties.  

The last 2 generations (N64 & GCN), Nintendo loses third party support and has been working hard to try and mend those relationships.  Opening their mouths and releasing a statement on Manhunt 2 means that they've thrown Rockstar under the bus.  They shouldn't say anything at all.  Stop trying to make press releases that will make your company look good and alienate the third party.  

Again, I don't really care about what Sony's doing OR what Sega has done in the past, I'm speaking more on how you need to maintain third party relations.  

Somewhere there's a smart PR person with enough reason who needs a freakin' job!!!

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 24, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Freedom of speech is not freedom of action.

Well I personally dont' believe in Freedom of Exrpession as being a right, just Freedom of Speech (as in talking), but that is a whole different topic!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 24, 2007, 08:30:05 AM »
Anyone read Starship Troopers?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 24, 2007, 08:30:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Anyone read Starship Troopers?

I seen the movie, does that count?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 24, 2007, 08:41:59 AM »
Not really, the book is really uber philosophical about stuff, including what "rights" really are... b ut the movie does have a line that sort of ties into that: that something given to you isn't really a "right" to begin with or something like that.

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
Cubist - I don't think Nintendo (or Sony, or MS) have actually commented on Manhunt 2 (someone prove me wrong...)

Nintendo has simply responded to inquires about their policy on games rated "AO"... Which is exactly the same as it was before the Manhunt 2 mess.

Additionally, again, Nintendo isn't censoring *anything* that we know of for Manhunt 2.  They are just standing by the policy they've had since the ESRB rating system was created.

Ten cents says TakeTwo/Rockstar knew the entire time they were developing Manhunt 2 that Nintendo (and others) doesn't allow AO rated games.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
That movie was not rated NC-17.  The NC-17 rating did not exist at the time.  (Technically correct: the best kind of correct.)

Showgirls is the only NC-17 rated movie to have a wide release according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth).

Was about to point that out, but seems I was beaten to the punch by PartyBear.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »
If Nintendo was to allow them to release it unlicensed with a nod and a wink, everybody wins. Nintendo "keeps" their stance without saying anything. Rockstar gets to sell their game.

The statement that Nintendo doesn't release AO game is based off a standing statement found on the website. Hardly the end all communication.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »
But if it was unlicensed... they wouldn't have to pay Nintendo money!!! This defeats the ENTIRE PURPOSE of being in the hardware business!!!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
If Nintendo was to allow them to release it unlicensed with a nod and a wink, everybody wins. Nintendo "keeps" their stance without saying anything. Rockstar gets to sell their game.

The statement that Nintendo doesn't release AO game is based off a standing statement found on the website. Hardly the end all communication.

Um isn't that still going against  their moral principle's? If Nintendo as company doesn't feel comfortable ethically about releasing it, then people should respect that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2007, 08:55:02 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
If Nintendo was to allow them to release it unrated with a nod and a wink, everybody wins. Nintendo "keeps" their stance without saying anything. Rockstar gets to sell their game.

fixed. now everyone wins.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2007, 10:02:07 PM »
I don't think bypassing the ESRB is a good idea.  People'll just be like, "WHUTS THE POINT OF THE ESRB IF NOBODY USES IT???  NEED GOVERNMENT REGULATION!!!"
GOREGASM!