Author Topic: I hope "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...  (Read 69649 times)

Offline Koekoenutt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: I hope "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:45 PM »
I also picked up the game today, and still have mixed thoughts about it. I think darkheart had a lot right on, but I still haven't really put that much time into it, to really give it a personal review. I like the fact that you can change the voices to Japanese, tends to make the voice-overs less annoying. I haven't touched the Multiplayer yet, so I can't say much on that either. Also been skipping the storyline, since you can go back and see it all in order anyways, but what darkheart said about the dialog is right on.

There controls are really iffy. I had problems with jumping, but I think that's due to the fact that in the tutorial world, I jumped over the spot that brings the text up to tell you what to do. As you level up, you get things that help you stride right and left, so I'm wondering if the controls will improve as you level. Leveling up in the game is kind of cool, but right now they don't really seem to make that much of a difference. It is fun when it's not frustrating, and wanted to keep playing, but my roomie kicked me off. Unfortantly, I have no energy to play it right now and learn the controls some more. I really think they could have done jumping a lot better. I can handle that it's a button, but things like pulling back on the controller and accidently hitting the button just makes you dead stop, and I think that is by far the worst thing in the game. If you get hit or accidently jump to early, you really screw yourself over and your speed. Sonic takes so long to accelerate, but then again, maybe power-ups will fix this.

I feel bad becuase I really don't have that much of an opinion on the game that you really haven't heard already. I have no idea in my mind if I'm glad I bought this game or if I should have waited for another game and maybe rented it. I guess it really depends on where the game takes me, and if power-ups improve the controls a little and do more than they are right now. A lot of missions and content though. Think it might be one of those Love-or-Hate games, but I'll update my response in this thread in a day or two when I play it more. Sorry if this doesn't help your purchase choice!

EDIT: Oh yeah, another complaint of mine, which isn't really so much a major problem, is that every level you have to press next as it confirms you what you have unlocked. To me, I think it's useless. Every mission something comes up, and I wouldn't mind it if it was just when you leveled or a new world opened, but it gets ridiculous in my opinion. You know you are unlocking a new mission when you beat one, I don't really think there is a need to have it load up a "You Unlocked a New Mission, Hit 2 to Continue" screen, just to load you again. Loading times are comparable to Pangya Golf, not that long but ALMOST long enough. Again, Just minor griefs that are my opinion, and doesn't ruin the game itself.    
My Game IGN Game Collection List

Nintendo Wii Code: 4255-0170-3378-8998

Tetris DS: 370317-922331
Mario Kart DS: 060219-722474
Clubhouse Games: 3479-8100

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:"Secret Rings" doesn't suck...
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2007, 06:25:10 PM »
This is like Excite Truck... but a little more platformy... I LIKE IT!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »
Been playing it for the better part of the night and here are my early impressions:

-Controls are fine. If you're having trouble, then you just need to get used to them, and you actually unlock abilities to make the turning smoother, the homing attack go further, etc. Sonic is intentionally nerfed in the beginning.

-The exp and skills are...different, but I've actually looked forward to acquiring new skills on more than one occasion already.

-The game starts slow, but after beating the tutorials (like 10 of 'em), you go right into the game.

-The stages where you just need to get to the end of the level are a goddamn thrill but seldom very challenging, which is where the other stages come in.

-The missions beyond the first one tend to be harder and can be frustrating, but guess what? The base functionality of Sonic has always been a game where one wrong step means certain death. Sonic Rush embodied this perfectly and people loved it. Why are people bemoaning it in 3D?

-This is, to date, the Wii's most graphically impressive game.

-The mini-games range from meh, to rather fun, with the exception of one I've found so far which is THE BEST MINIGAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN ANY GAME FEATURING MINIGAMES, EVER. Mario Party, Wario Ware, Rayman...NONE of them touch this one immensely simple yet brilliant game.

It works like this: all four players are standing around a pile of square rugs with a genie standing on top of the pile. The genie will jump and sometimes look like he's about to jump. When he jumps, make quick downward motions with the Wiimote to pull as many rugs out from the pile as possible.

Here's the kicker...if a player pulls the rug while the genie is standing on it, the genie will fall on him/her then bounce off screen, leaving the player temporarily stunned while the remaining 3 players are free to pull rugs like mad until the genie returns to the pile seconds later. This usually results in one unfortunate player being greedy and trying to pull one last rug before the genie lands on the pile, thus pulling the genie on him/herself and the cycle begins anew.

This is the fastest, most frantic and incredibly fun minigame I have ever played. It literally brings everyone playing to their feet as they attempt to pull the most rugs and just barely outdo each other.

As for my feelings on the main game...it's a bit rough, and I agree that we should have just been allowed to play more stages without reusing them so many times, but THIS, my friends, is what Sonic should have been like in 3D from the very beginning. Literally, this is IT. When you're controlling Sonic as he dashes down hallways, corridors and over beautiful ruins floating through the sky, you feel it. The speed is in YOUR hands.

It's not like SA where you held forward and Sonic eventually passed through everything and got to the end of the level, no. It's like you're REALLY in control this time, and if you f*ck up, it's your own damn fault, not the camera's and not a missed rail grab which should have happened: YOUR fault.

Secret Rings was a test game. NO question about that, just like RE4 was a test game (since it didn't involve Umbrella as the central plot like all previous games...). Sega was testing the waters with this, and the fact that it's based in a pure fantasy setting tells me this more than anything.

Remember how Sonic Adventure felt like a test game, like the creators were trying to get a feel for how they wanted to make Sonic games in true 3D, like the game was a test to see what they could do? SR feels like that in many ways, but it's more like they've narrowed it to Sonic and they're trying to figure out how to hone his speed-based gameplay to be the best that it can be, and although it ain't perfect, it's an effort which should NOT be overlooked.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »
I don't know S_B... my friends and I actually played one of the Guy Game's minigames all night long... it was such an engrossing game that we even completely forgot about any and all boobies that were being flashed in the background.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Remember how Sonic Adventure felt like a test game, like the creators were trying to get a feel for how they wanted to make Sonic games in true 3D, like the game was a test to see what they could do? SR feels like that in many ways, but it's more like they've narrowed it to Sonic and they're trying to figure out how to hone his speed-based gameplay to be the best that it can be, and although it ain't perfect, it's an effort which should NOT be overlooked.

Never got the feeling Sonic Adventure was a test game, it felt polished with a few hiccups here and there (mainly camera), and still remains one of my favorite games of all time. In regards to SR, I will definately play it but I don't see why everyone is picking on Matt's score, it seems justified when you take into consideration the flaws.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2007, 07:12:23 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

I don't remember who said it, but that person said that one of the reasons SR was so important was if the game turned out to be good, even solid at least we could thank Nintendo for creating a system so innovative that it forced game developers to re-think their current development ideals and breathe new life into their franchises.

That is an interesting point, and hopefully that is how Wii will be remembered.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »

it was such an engrossing game that we even completely forgot about any and all boobies that were being flashed in the background.

Never played it. What was the minigame like?

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Never got the feeling Sonic Adventure was a test game, it felt polished with a few hiccups here and there (mainly camera), and still remains one of my favorite games of all time. In regards to SR, I will definately play it but I don't see why everyone is picking on Matt's score, it seems justified when you take into consideration the flaws.

SA was a test game in the sense that it had 4 different types of gameplay. Sonic and Tails with speed, Knuckles with scavenger hunting, Amy with platforming/melee combat, the robot with shooting and Big with...fishing.

To me, it felt very much like they were trying to feel around to find what worked. In SR, it feels like they KNOW what works: Sonic's speed-driven gameplay, now they're feeling around within that subset to find out what works for it, and to that end, we see leveling, skills and abilities, and sidequests. Some work, some don't.

Matt's score is justified if he's been pampered like a poodle by modern games where you seldom ever die anymore. Sonic is about break-neck speeds and evading death at every turn.

There's no satisfaction in succeeding in the completion of a level in Sonic if the threat of death wasn't upon you the whole way. In the floating ruin level, I actually had friends watching me play going "Whoa!" as I was spiraling through loops and corkscrews, evading missiles being launched at me by a giant mantaray.

I can't remember the last time I've had anyone watch what I was doing in a game and react in such a way...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

it was such an engrossing game that we even completely forgot about any and all boobies that were being flashed in the background.

SA was a test game in the sense that it had 4 different types of gameplay. Sonic and Tails with speed, Knuckles with scavenger hunting, Amy with platforming/melee combat, the robot with shooting and Big with...fishing.

To me, it felt very much like they were trying to feel around to find what worked. In SR, it feels like they KNOW what works: Sonic's speed-driven gameplay, now they're feeling around within that subset to find out what works for it, and to that end, we see leveling, skills and abilities, and sidequests. Some work, some don't.

Matt's score is justified if he's been pampered like a poodle by modern games where you seldom ever die anymore. Sonic is about break-neck speeds and evading death at every turn.

There's no satisfaction in succeeding in the completion of a level in Sonic if the threat of death wasn't upon you the whole way. In the floating ruin level, I actually had friends watching me play going "Whoa!" as I was spiraling through loops and corkscrews, evading missiles being launched at me by a giant mantaray.

I can't remember the last time I've had anyone watch what I was doing in a game and react in such a way...

Ah so it is hard, so AAA title right?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix Ah so it is hard, so AAA title right?

Nah, but only because it doesn't reinvent the franchise and go beyond the call of duty. It's a good game, but still too sloppy in places.

Given the circumstances, it actually had the potential to be AAA (a completely new way to play Sonic games), but I never would have expected that from it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix Ah so it is hard, so AAA title right?

Nah, but only because it doesn't reinvent the franchise and go beyond the call of duty. It's a good game, but still too sloppy in places.

Given the circumstances, it actually had the potential to be AAA (a completely new way to play Sonic games), but I never would have expected that from it.

It is sad that most of what made Sega back in the DC era is pretty much dead, it would have been pretty amazing to see what the Sonic Team from back in the SA era could have done. Personally I found SA2 to have tons of potential but flat out hated the scavenger hunt with knuckles and I believe Rouge, I was fine with the other characters though, and in fact enjoyed them. Anyway I'll probably pick this up, if only to get the bad taste out of my mouth that Crack Down provided me (In makes GTA Vice City look revolutionary).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »

I guess this is OT but...

It was called Balls In(or Out?) and it had 4 players. They were set up in teams of 2 on 2, and each player had a side of a square playing field. Each side had a goal, like a soccer goal without the nets ot back to it. You'd play rolling marbles and it was basically soccer because the smaller metal marble in the middle was what everyone was after. If you collided with it it would stick to you and you could use the analog stick to steer your marble (hopefully with the ball attached) around. You could press a button to shoot it...

But it was great because you could score in either of your opponents goalposts, so you could try to deek 'em out and suddenly shoot at their other goal post. Also, in order to steal the ball you basically had to run into it and it would come off the other player and stick to you, and since everyone was a ball, physics about your acceleration would come into play(especially when players collided, though the ball we were playing with was essentially weightless). Of course, if someone shot the ball and you were in the way, the ball would stick to you, in essence enabling blocking and passing. Sometimes you could avoid other player's steal attempts by whipping the ball around you in a 360 degree motion, as if you were a matador, your opponent was a bull, and the ball was your red cape. AND, since there were no walls anywhere and the playing field was small and suspended in the mid-air, you would often mistakenly go to steal a ball sometimes  and be moving too fast such that, whether you stole the ball or not, you'd fall right off the edge! This would give the other team a couple seconds of power-play, but hopefully you'd have averted a goal.

... writing it down now it seems like not much, but let me tell you that with all the marble physics, inertia, multiplayer fun, fast-paced goals and ball-stealing antics, we played that game until the wee hours of the morning and were almost resolute to buy The Guy Game just for that one tiny minigame.

Hmm... maybe the game would be perfect for a downloadable title with online play...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #311 on: February 22, 2007, 03:40:31 AM »
S_B, the one thing I am wondering is if SR is able to redeem the Sonic name a bit. In other words, as a Sonic fan does the game bring back some of the magic and fun that made the older games and even Sonic adventure really fun to play?

The main thing I am wondering about is how does SR affect the overall franchise.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 22, 2007, 05:02:27 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix It is sad that most of what made Sega back in the DC era is pretty much dead, it would have been pretty amazing to see what the Sonic Team from back in the SA era could have done. Personally I found SA2 to have tons of potential but flat out hated the scavenger hunt with knuckles and I believe Rouge, I was fine with the other characters though, and in fact enjoyed them.

I liked the two SAs, but I prefer SA1 due to more speed-based gameplay (but that's most because the speed based camera was far more capable than the platforming camera).

Anyway I'll probably pick this up, if only to get the bad taste out of my mouth that Crack Down provided me.

That bad, eh?

I guess this is OT but...

That does sound like fun. Also sounds like it would run a bit longer than "Carpet Pull" does.

The main thing I am wondering about is how does SR affect the overall franchise.

It's kind of hard NOT to redeem it somewhat, given how terrible STH was, but it's a tough call to make because I haven't completed the game yet.

My initial reactions, though, are that I'm having a great deal more fun than I did with SA 1 or 2. There's definitely a learning curve, but once you get past that, the game comes into its own. It does seem like they went back to the original Sonic games and examined what made them great in an attempt to replicate that, but I don't know if Sonic will ever be as great as he once was without Yuji Naka somewhere at the helm.

It's my firm belief that, when people love their creations, those creations will in turn be loved by others. I don't know that the current director loves Sonic as much as Naka did, but it's clear that he has a great deal more respect for the franchise than whoever directed STH.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 22, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »
I didn't think Crackdown was THAT bad (from the demo anyway).  Seemed fun, just kind of shallow.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #314 on: February 22, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
So if I didn't like SA1/2, don't care for 2D Sonic, but like F-Zero GX, and like beating Mega Man X in less than 2 hours without getting hit, is Sonic and the Excreted Rings a worthy buy?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #315 on: February 22, 2007, 06:30:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
So if I didn't like SA1/2, don't care for 2D Sonic, but like F-Zero GX, and like beating Mega Man X in less than 2 hours without getting hit, is Sonic and the Excreted Rings a worthy buy?

Sounds like a rent for you, especially if you have that kind of attitude towards the series.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2007, 06:45:27 AM »
Sonic is a failed mascot that's not even good enough to be in SSBB, but this game seems to be skill-based and reflex-based enough to get my Hardtime Longcore attention.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Sounds like a rent for you, especially if you have that kind of attitude towards the series.

Yeah, you kinda answered your own question there, Pro.

However, liking F-Zero GX means you must have a bit of a masochistic streak and that repeatedly failing a mission by not performing 100% perfect is not something which would dissuade you from playing a game. Though it doesn't feature the same difficulty (at least not yet), SR does offer many of those kinds of situations.

Sonic is a failed mascot

I said the same thing about Dr. Mario, Game and Watch and Pichu but some assclown decided they'd be alright for SSBM.

But it's not Sonic who has failed: it's Sega. Even in the two SA games, there was a lot they did right which was genuinely enjoyable, it's just that there's also a lot they did wrong which wasn't fun at all.

Mario transitioned well to 3D. Sonic just didn't, but with SR, that might finally be changing.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
I didn't think Crackdown was THAT bad (from the demo anyway).  Seemed fun, just kind of shallow.

It is shallow, it honestly makes Saint's Row look innovative. The basic formula is this:

1. Level up by shooting people or throwing stuff at people
2. Jump from buildings (is fun but gets old)
3. Break into head quarters of gang leader X and kill him/her
4. Do some poor side quests (lots of racing)
5. Rinse and repeat.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »
Then it's settled. Sonic is a must-buy.

I get more gaming satisfaction from the accomplishment of legitimate challenges through the development and application of SKILL.  Awareness, foresight, judgement, and quick reflexes are the ingredients for this soup.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:05 AM »

It is shallow, it honestly makes Saint's Row look innovative. The basic formula is this:

5. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah I can see how it would get old after awhile.  The only reason most people bought it anyways was for Halo 3 Beta.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2007, 12:04:11 PM »

5. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah I can see how it would get old after awhile.  The only reason most people bought it anyways was for Halo 3 Beta.

Well i was the few who bought it because it looked interesting (I really do not like Halo at all).

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »
I love the single player campaigns for Halo for the story.  The multiplayer I would enjoy but there are just too many cheaters to allow it to be fun anymore.

Offline Magik

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »
Crackdown is actually a really fun game ESPECIALLY when playing Co-Op.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Magik
Crackdown is actually a really fun game ESPECIALLY when playing Co-Op.

If you like repetitive games or play in short bursts I guess, though I have not tried co-op.