Author Topic: "Save" your progress/VC games  (Read 4170 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
"Save" your progress/VC games
« on: December 16, 2006, 02:35:46 AM »
I don't know if anyone is aware of this.  You can sort of save your progress in, say, Gunstar Heroes or Solomon's Key.  I just stopped Gunstar Heroes on the last level by exiting out to the Wii menu (home button).  Lo and behold, when I started Gunstar Heroes back up, I was at the exact same spot.  I turned the console off, and same thing (not off off, but wiiconnect off).  So it's sort of like the old days where you would leave your NES on all night long so you didn't lose your spot in the game.  Obviously, with games that limit your continues, that limit will still apply, but at least you can play the games in bursts and not try to jam the entire experience into on sitting.

Not a life changing find, but I thought perhaps someone may not know about it.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:"Save" your progress/VC games
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 03:08:41 AM »
Each Virtual console game makes a suspend point whenever you quit the game via the home menu, reboot the system or turn off the system.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: "Save" your progress/VC games
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 04:10:57 AM »
Just to note, not ALL games have a suspend point...(Super Mario 64, for example...)  I guess if a game doesn't have a save function, it implements the suspend point...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 05:43:26 AM »
Hey!  Looke here!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:56:57 AM »
I think the suspend function is one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had.  Not only can you save your spot but it prevents save state abusing.  Some games that were designed to be played in one sitting get ruined by adding save capabilities in later ports but since this is effectively just long term pausing the feel of the game remains the same.

I'd argue though that even games that can save might as well have this feature.  What if I want to suspend Super Mario 64 right at that exact moment when I'm in the middle of a level?  I think that would be a good feature as well.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:23:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I'd argue though that even games that can save might as well have this feature.  What if I want to suspend Super Mario 64 right at that exact moment when I'm in the middle of a level?  I think that would be a good feature as well.
It's very helpful for Donkey Kong Country.  Save spots are far and few between and sometimes you can't go back to an old save spot via Funky's Airplane service until you get pretty far into a given world.

I was stuck on the second half of Snow Barrel Blast for like 40 lives; it took me three play sessions to finally get past it.  I forgot how much I hate that level.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:13:27 AM »
Welcome to November!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Anyone who calls this news should have RTFM.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 07:19:04 AM »
You're wrong, you're supposed to have a 30min tutorial phase at the beginning of each game while it plays bad rock music.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline joedick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:08:44 AM »
Any games other than Mario 64 that don't use the suspend feature?

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 06:00:01 AM »
Mario Kart 64 doesn't have it.  I think it's because the instant save would be large or too easily corrupted because of the number of variables going on at any moment in a 64 game.  Just a theory because we all know of the other things out there.
Life is good

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 06:32:58 AM »
Mupen 64 supports savestates and rerecording so it can't be that complicated.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 06:33:03 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Anyone who calls this news should have RTFM.

What?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 06:34:59 AM »

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
RTFM

Thanks for that.  Though it would have been funnier if you posted that when the thread was actually started...say about 3 months ago.

I simply bumped it since somebody brought it up in another thread 2 f'n days ago.  So sorry.

So perhaps next time you will RTMFFP.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
you know the red button on the remote can turn the system on and off
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 06:26:23 PM »
I didn't have WiFi and therefore no VC games to look into the manual of back when this was posted. Now I've seen the manuals and they have a full page on how this works.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »
The basic idea is this:

If it supports in game saving, then it does in game saving.  Example: Mario 64.  If I get a star, when I save in the game, it's just like the N64 cart.  So if I go from 8-12 stars and quit the game after saving, and then load it up again, it goes to the regular menu/profile screen, and I can choose profile 1, which has 12 stars.  The other profiles retain their own information.

If it's a game like Zelda [NES], it's kind of like save stating, but not as deliberate.  I.e., looks like I can save at certain points by using the Home button to close out of the game.  I think these are arbitrarily determined by Nintendo, and would function in ways you might imagine.  I.e., in Zelda [NES], the last door you went through (this tends to be a dungeon for me).  In Kid Icarus, it's the beginning of the last level you quit/died out of.  

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I think someone already said basically this in this thread anyway.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »
It would be really nice (and easy), but it would come at the cost of a little bit of flash memory space, if they incorporated savestates. I've always hated when you play a game, such as Mario 64, and say you get to Bowser in one of his levels and you die (which is rare, I'll admit), but instead of starting over at Bowser with whatever your status was when you reached him before, you have to play the entire level again. Unnecessary repetition sucks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
Those levels are so much fun though!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 07:33:57 PM »
Where it works it makes an EXACT save of the game state, no throwing you back at the beginning of levels or something. Resetting some parts of the game would also make this harder to implement since you'd have to go into the game code and tag the memory areas that should be stored and the ones that need to be reset to certain values.