Author Topic: Far Cry is out  (Read 7078 times)

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Far Cry is out
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »
And still no reviews!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Far Cry is out
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:25:48 AM »
The game's so awful, no one wants to write!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:34:09 AM »
Rats, part of me was glad when I heard of a delay.  

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
It's supposed to be really good other than the graphics. Most reports say the FPS controls are the best on wii yet.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »
It's just another crappy port Ubisoft threw out to get a quick cash grab.  Other than solid controls, everything else is terrible.

Just another game from Ubisoft that should have needed more development time to iron out the problems.

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:16:30 AM »
why is ubisoft giving us these rushed games? arent they usually on top of things...in a good way?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 09:28:30 AM »
Ubisoft is in the hole, they are looking to make short term gains right now.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »
I think they're also looking to cash-in on Wii's early success.  Which turned out to be a semi-clever plan...don't know how well the games other than Red Steel and Rayman are selling.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Far Cry is out
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »
I'm actually going to buy this. Remember that whole "gameplay over graphics" dare? Well, I'm taking it. I've never played a FarCry game before, but the only complaints I've been hearing from this game are graphical. If that's all that's wrong, then I won't be complaining.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:32:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I'm actually going to buy this. Remember that whole "gameplay over graphics" dare? Well, I'm taking it. I've never played a FarCry game before, but the only complaints I've been hearing from this game are graphical. If that's all that's wrong, then I won't be complaining.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Besides graphics, you have frame-rate problems, stupid AI, FMVs that are compressed resulting in it looking terrible, only 2-player multiplayer I believe, and crappy music.

There's probably a few more to add to the list.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »
Stupid AI! That's great because I suck at FPS games! <3 easy mode!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 11:58:43 AM »
Go Nintendo posted some quick impressions of the game. So far, the pros and cons are equal, so its up to you whether they matter or not.

The impressions

As for the reviews, maybe you should wait a bit longer? I know Red Steel and a couple of other Wii games were reviewed right after the Wii was out.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
I will still pick up this game, but probably not at $50 full retail.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »

Originally posted by: therat
And still no reviews!

IGN: 4.0

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »
Most of these games are launch titles.  aka poor quality.  IT's not any different than the other systems.

I'm not touching any of these titles.  Nintendo is the only I trust to put out quality titles.  

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »
One thing is suffering from launchitis and another is being a total half assed rush job, which is what Far Cry is from reading IGNs review. Its unacceptable that it looks that inferior to the Xbox version, that version should be as low as it should look; but not only does it look bad, it has framerate probs to boot!! Even with the crappy gfx.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
4.0 on IGN. Far Cry SUCKS on XBox 360, I can't imagine the Wii version being any better.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:42 PM »
Far Cry Wii may suck, but at least this trailer is funny...

BAAAAAAAAAHHHH!  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »
So far I'm enjoying FarCry, about 3 or 4 missions in...

Yes, the graphics are really lackluster. The in-game cutscenes have screen tearing (which is weird, because they DO have FMVs here, why didn't they make all cut scenes those nice steady FMVs), and my brother laughed at a point because he was amazed that the game was outputting a "solid 20-30 fps" for once compared to all other times. Andf of course, the character models and textures really look last gen, and when you're crawling through the brush the foliage sprites really DON'T hold up well to close inspection.

I actually like the voice acting though, I think it's on the enjoyable side of cheesy, and don't think its bad at all. My younger bro thinks the voice acting IS bad, but that it's a good thing.

The levels, though linear, are really large. In one of the missions I had 3 objectives to tackle at three different islands, and I could drive my Wave Runner to any point around the perimeter of that island and find a beach to land on. That way I could actually skip walking around a long perimeter if I drove my waverunner further along the island looking for the ramp into the center. This area was actually pretty nice and big, I hear these expansive levels are what the game's known for.

And of course, the enemy A.I. is quite weak. I'm playing with auto aim on too, so I'm benefitting from the "red cursor means hit" Halo effect. And I'm playing on "easy" mode too. Hey, I want to beat the game eventually ya know?

As for the controls, I have one real gripe so far: I can't figure out how to throw grenades. But aside from that, it feels a lot like a more FPS-y Red Steel. Definitely all three Wii FPS' have their own unique quirksd in their approaches to controls, and I can't really choose a favorite between the 3. Far Cry feels like it turns as slow as Red Steel, but enemies are further and therefore you have a more fun, subtle, and easier time hitting them. Also, the bounding box for Far Cry is BIG, meaning you can point around without turning: cool. However, sometimes it can be difficult to turn in hectic close quarter combat. *shrug*

But just using the wiimote makes it fun. using my dual weapons and firing my left uzi while my right reloads selectively (you use the Z and B buttons to fire from their respective hands) is just awesome, and I'm having perhaps even more fun than Red Steel just slightly sliding my aim over a little to the left to pop enemies in or near the head. (Again, probably due to the increased distance between me and enemies compared to Red Steel)

Seriously, I must not be a graphics whore, because Far Cry is already the most fun generic shooter I've played in a long time. I can actually see myself, sucky FPS gamer extraordinaire, king of the twitchless, keeping on buying FPS' if they can offer me the same play experience as Far Cry. Yeah, EVEN with graphics like this. They don't detract from my (personal) play experience at all.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Edit: Also, Far Cry somehow has a much more compelling story than Red Steel or CoD3. Even though the characters are stereotypes, they're well designed and actually fleshed out enough to be interesting.  

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »
Red Steel is better than Far Cry, if that doesn't tell you how bad it is, I probley can't help ya
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »
Finished Far Cry! I hate how these launch games have such unsatisfying endings! Maybe if I played it on a difficulty setting other than easy? But that shouldn't make any difference...

Believe it or not, this is the first Wii game I've got with a distinct beginning and end that I've finished. I've poured about 32 hours into Zelda, but... that's not enough! LOL! So I'll have to finish Red Steel first before judging whether I like that game better than this one.. but I can say that Far Cry had a more engrossing scenario and levels that made me want to play "just a little longer" everytime I accomplished something, as opposed to Red Steel which sortas wore me out after a point...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »
Thanks Karion. I've really been wanting to put some time into all three games as I am a FPS whore. The screen shots on the back of Far Cry don't look half bad, but I know you can't judge a book or game by its cover.

While I like good graphics, gameplay is king. I still have more fun in Goldeneye than any other FPS, so I'm sure I may not be too put off by Far Cry's limitations.

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 03:30:26 PM »
What would everyone suggest, Far Cry or CoD3? I loved FC for the PC and know the graphics don't come anywhere close to that but is it a solid game otherwise?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
Haven't read my extensive description earlier?

Well, it's true. Far Cry's graphics suck. Sometimes it seems to screen tear and the textures are very low res. The frame rate is perfectly passable for anyone who doesn't mind PD frame rate levels, but is nothing to brag about.

Gameplay wise, I find that the level design is pretty well paced. I never got the sense that I was trudging, I always felt like around the corner was a bunch of enemies to kill or a new situation or save point. As for savepoints, they are spread everywhere and used liberally, dying in this game you'll never be kicked far back.

Story wise, Far Cry is also pretty steady as long as you're willing to jump right into the middle of its mythology. It's unambitious, but that is a strength because the story doesn't over extend itself, and it's very focused on a cast of just 4 or 5 characters who, though being in an FPS story, are actually characterized and acted quite appealingly.

It's interesting when you have all 3 FPS games, CoD3, Red Steel, and Far Cry together. I'll have to play each more extensively, but whereas Red Steel has a very large bounding box and you don't turn often and CoD3 will have you turning EVERYWHERE if your a newbie, Far Cry seems to have a medium sized box that I like very much. Far Cry doesn't turn very fast if you drag your cursor off the screen though, which can get you in a bit of trouble if you get over-excited in a firefight.

You also use gestures in FarCry, lifting the nunchuck to jump, thrusting the wiimote forward to zoonm and pulling it back to unzoom. I mastered all of these pretty well. However, I STILL don't know how to throw a grenade!!! (didn't ever need to though) Also, you have to slash out the wiimote with a sidewise and then forward motion. Surprisingly, this isn't too bad. Sometimes it didn't read my motion correctly and my gun would drag off screen, but the game surprisingly performed better than expected on such an abstract motion and correctly picked up the gesture 95% of the time.

And uh... my mind just blanked. What else can I talk about?!?!?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
How is the enemy AI? the draw distance? are the textures very flat like they appear in the screens and vids?