Author Topic: IGN reviews  (Read 33260 times)

Offline Chris1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
IGN reviews
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
Ign just posted the Wii Sports review here Wii Sports

and Trauma Center here Trauma Center Second Opinion

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: IGN reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
Worst reviews ever.

Second Opinion is definitely a game that's worth playing, whether you're totally new to the series or a longtime fan.
longtime fan? "Oh man I've been a fan of Trauma Center since January"
series? there's one game, and then they remade it, SERIES
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:56:12 PM »
My frothing demand for Trauma Center increases.

edit: Hey, 10 months is a long time in internet land.

(Yeah, the reviews aren't the best...but it's ign. What can you do?)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »
The numbers and the text don't match up.

IS THIS SOME SORT OF TRIKC?

DID EGM WRITE THIS?

What a load of phayle.  We're increasing their traffic with absolutely no benefit to us, the readers.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 06:00:35 PM »

6.0    Sound
The musical composition is beautiful, but the game needed more VO work

LOL

As far as the facts go, these games have come out pretty much as expected. Good news.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »
Good lord, what is it with IGN and voice acting? I'mn desperately trying to think of a videogame where voice acting a)existed and b) did not suck. Why would you want more of it?
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:07:47 PM »

As far as the facts go, these games have come out pretty much as expected. Good news.

Right. I was afraid Trauma Center's controls would sound good on paper, but be awkward in practice (like certain console-to-DS ports). But it appears this is not the case. My purchase is now assured, and for that, I must give ign my thanks.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:34:04 PM »
Good to hear the remote, as all Nintendo products, is indestructible.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:IGN reviews
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:44:23 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel
Good lord, what is it with IGN and voice acting? I'mn desperately trying to think of a videogame where voice acting a)existed and b) did not suck. Why would you want more of it?

Sam 'n Max
Day of the Tentacle
Loom

I'm sure there's at least a few others.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:52 PM »
To name a few more:
Full Throttle
MGS
Eternal Darkness

Still not enough to justify demanding that all games have it, though.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »
I want to chime in with Dragon Quest VIII.  That has some extremely awesome voice acting.  It is even better than, dare I say, Eternal Darkness.  
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 10:49:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell

Originally posted by: zakkiel

Sam 'n Max
Day of the Tentacle
Loom

I'm sure there's at least a few others.

Resident Evil 1 has the best voice acting ever.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:40:47 PM »
I agree with there sports review... I played a few mini games and witnessed the others
I dont believe it deserves 8/10, 7 is about right

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 03:00:57 AM »
I think both reviews are fair.  But something I would like reviews to do is to cover the controls of the games by small gestures and big gestures.  For instance, Wii Sports could be broken if you figured out small movements and go it down, but the game was never really meant to be played that way.  It is much more fun going for broke and doing crazy swings in Tennis, or actually swinging for the home run in baseball.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 03:21:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
I want to chime in with Dragon Quest VIII.  That has some extremely awesome voice acting.

Ahahaha, I just started playing DQVIII a few days ago and I have to STRONGLY disagree...*shudder*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 03:39:24 AM »
I think the voice acting thing is not a reason to knock the sound score unless it is bad.  Not having more is a style thing.  Personally I prefer Text and non-words.  Like when link grunts when pushing a brick.  Just showing that the character isn't a mute.  Text lets me breath my own personality in it and I don't have to have someone elses voice in my head.  (One of the reasons I prefer Manga as a medium but, I actually like Anime more because the story is normally not as Serious and they tend to explore the interesting cast better. (Good example Love Hina.))
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »
I have no problem with the reviews - Overall, both reviewed just as I expected, but scored slightly higher than I had anticipated from IGN.

The only thing I truly hate about the reviews, and quite honestly Matt should know better - is the criticism about the graphics looking "last-gen". Really? You've been telling us for a year now not to expect much more than what the first XBox was capable of in terms of graphics. Why complain about it now? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

They're reviewing Wii games and comparing the graphics in terms of what the XBox 360 and PS3 are outputting instead of basing it off what the Wii is actually capable of delivering. The sad thing is, I don't think this mentality will be limited to IGN. Most reviewers are not going to be fair to the Wii because they've been spoiled by "next-gen" graphics for the last year now. It's unfortunate but I guess this might change, in due time. Kind of like how in the beginning the DS was being compared to the PSP until reviewers learned to rate DS titles on their own merits and not the limitations of the system itself.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 03:49:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I think the voice acting thing is not a reason to knock the sound score unless it is bad.  Not having more is a style thing.  Personally I prefer Text and non-words.  Like when link grunts when pushing a brick.  Just showing that the character isn't a mute.  Text lets me breath my own personality in it and I don't have to have someone elses voice in my head.  (One of the reasons I prefer Manga as a medium but, I actually like Anime more because the story is normally not as Serious and they tend to explore the interesting cast better. (Good example Love Hina.))

In the case of Trauma Center, I sort of agree with that part of the review. The DS game has a lot of text and, quite honestly, reading it becomes a chore after a while because it seems like it never ends. The only reason not to include voice acting was probably because they couldn't have the game ready for launch if they added it. This type of game could actually be enhanced by strong voice acting. It can add some seriously tense, dramatic moments - much better than text can or will.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 03:53:28 AM »
Ceric:  You bring up good points.

I love Anime because it is animated and just beautiful, BUT the American voice acting in almost all anime is so bad that I can't watch it.  It destorys the experience.

Video Games have just as poor or worse voice acting than anime...and as such I would rather it not exist...just like I perfer to READ subtitles so that the voice acting doesn't ruin the experience.

To knock points off for sound is stupid.

But if you remember Matt has stated he is trying to take a proactive position with reviews and previews actually critizing things he feels needs to be updated or changed for making the game better.  

(I do not know if this is really appropriate or his place as a report and reviewer, but whatever.)

I think both of these reviews are fair, but they do have that sense of I am telling Nintendo what I want in a game and not just reviewing the game at hand.

Why else would he continually attack Wii Sports for graphics, when it doesn't look bad.  It is just a highly stylized game that chooses to go with a simple art style...not horrible graphics.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:21 AM »
I still don't think that should knock the actual sound score.  The overall score, yeah, thats fair game.  Though I'll take your word on it.  I was playing a Japanese fighter the other day on my friends computer and there was more time taken for text, with me just clicking through it because I can't read Japanese, then the fighting portion.  So I know how that is.  I think that goes back to gameplay because even if it was all changed to voice-acting it still take a more time then the actual play, even if they talked like Blur.    Though there are some games, Phoenix Wright is a good example, that I hope they never voice act because there more like novels then games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 04:01:24 AM »
I don't think the lack of voice acting should have affected the sound score. You really can't judge anything that's not there. Now if voice acting was included and it sucked - then yeah - take a point or two off...

I agree with you about Phoenix Wright. I would also like to see Capcom attempt to bring that series to the Wii. Not a Wii-make like Atlus' TC:SO, but a true sequel.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 04:13:37 AM »
Trauma Center sounds like fun, but I ain't pay $50 for it especially since I bought and played most of the DS game within the past year.  I'll get Trauma Center if I see it for under $20 or on a rental shelf.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 04:15:36 AM »
A sequel of Phoenix Wright for the Wii be fun though I think it might lose it charm like the episode Rise from the Ashes did on the DS.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 04:21:39 AM »
The WiiSports review is a bit odd.  LIke first he says the game probably won't be for the hardcore and then when talking about golf he says 'he couldn't immediately master the controls, but the hard core could probably get the hang of them with some practice.'   Isn't that contradictory?  

And how many times do we have to read that each WiiSports game isn't a full-fledged virtua tennis or Tiger Woods golf or Fight Night 3?  Most of the review is spent explaing that the graphics aren't as good and that each game isn't a full-fledged game.  IT's like reviewing a TV show and each time saying that the show doesn't have the production values of a motion picture or isn't as long and epic as a movie.  

One thing I'm going to get sick of quick is reviews taking 2 paragraphs each time to remind us that the graphics in Wii games aren't as good as 360 ones.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 05:21:35 AM »
I believe Wii reviews will straighten out in time, but there's going to be a lot of criticism at first because it's a new system yet the graphics aren't a big leap and also reviewers are still figuring out what the "baseline" for Wii games should be.

I'm not surprised Wii Sports is getting slightly low scores.  The game does appear to be fairly simple, but I think it will attract some people just like Luigi's Mansion attracted some people and I think improved games based on similar concepts will be coming out over the next few years.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX