Author Topic: Knowing what you know now...  (Read 20821 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Knowing what you know now...
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 09:58:44 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu I have a pair.  I'm just a bit tired of your constant bitching.  Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

So the price is high?  Yeah, it sucks.  I wish it were cheaper.  Oh well.  Get over it.
So WiiSports is packaged in with the game?  I probably wouldn't buy it on its own, but now that I have it, it's a great excuse to show it to nongamer friends and family.  That's Nintendo's plan.
So VC games are higher than you wanted?  So you can get them for free via ROM?  Good for you.  I'm not a thief.  Nice to know you don't think stealing is wrong.

Quit the constant emo act and slit your wrists already.  That, or just be glad Nintendo is not only surviving but thriving against such strong competition.

GET THE NET, SAM! I GOT A LIVE ONE HERE!

Bout TIME you came out of your shell and spoke your mind...

Here's the thing, yes, I think the price is a bad idea. Yes, I am going to speak my mind on that subject.

The point of messageboards is to discuss this sort of thing, and I'm profusely sorry that, unlike some, I cannot go without finding fault with the actions of the almighty Nintendo, but I'm not about to change my opinion because someone who disagrees with it is going to label it bitching.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Knowing what you know now...
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:09 AM »
"Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

Transalation: no negative comments on the PGC boards.  Nintendo is God and the world is made of marshmellows.

If I bought a Wii at launch I'd probably just buy the console and one game.  Let's assume Metroid Prime 3 made launch.  In that case I would buy it and not bother with other controllers since it's mostly a single player game anyway.  If WiiSports was really awesome maybe I would buy a second controller after trying it out.

So...

Wii: $270
Game: $60

Total: $330 Canadian plus tax.  You only can play one game at a time so I say start with one and buy more when you're done with it.  There's no real advantage to owning several launch games at once since you only have so much time.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
It's fine that you find faults.  Speak your mind.  Maybe wait for someone to respond and then retort.  But there's hardly a need to over run the board with fifteen posts that read almost the same.  You did it when the Wii name was released.  You did it for SSBB.  And now you're doing it for the price and WiiSports pack-in.

People get tired of reading the same post over and over again.  Perhaps you don't trust us to read your one well-organized post, so you post it in multiple threads to ensure we'll read it.  Perhaps you feel that if the point is repeated often enough it somehow makes your ideas more valid.  Regardless, I find myself getting more annoyed every time I read one of your posts.  Which is a shame, because it's not that you don't have anything meaningful to say--it's just that it tends to get covered up by all the other crap spewing from your fingertips.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 10:22:01 AM »
people are forgetting, or not noticing that, wiisports will sell systems...even more than a lower price would. As mentioned, WE are the niche market. We will account for only about 20 million consoles 5 years from now.

All of our families will tip the sales scale skyward. And its for two reasons: store walk-ins and houseguests. Someone already said that many shoppers will walk in and see the price (and whats included) and fork over cash for it. Its fully functional, and fun. Also, people who see us playing in our homes will join in and get a taste for the system. Eventually they'll buy it too.

What other game could do that? If you honestly think Zelda TP or ANY OTHER GAME could sell Wii, look no further than mainstream media coverage at E3. Did Spielberg play Zelda with Miyamoto-san? No

I can understand not wanting the higher tag, but if they resolved to do a pack-in THERE IS NO OTHER GAME THEY COULD HAVE CHOSEN.

I was actually hoping they wouldn't even give us a disc. It should just be built-in as a WiiChannel.

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »
I think it's perfectly cool that a lot of us won't get it at launch, and will instead wait for 2007 for Metroid or for the furor to die down. After all, Nintendo doesn't need one big day, they need consistency. And with 4 million consoles delivered before new years, perhaps shortages won't be so bad?

Myself, I've always planned around a 250 dollar price point and have also planned on getting Wii Sports, so this news doesn't faze me one bit. Only the controller prices caught me off guard, I do feel that Wiimote + Nunchuck totaling 50 dollars would be where they need to move towards. And with the news that I can only get the Opera browaser free before June 2006, I may need to get a VC prepaid card at launch whereas before I had planned on holding off on that for a month or two...

However, I will still get one at launch, or launch window, and am now awaiting a full and official confirmation of launch games and launch window release dates so I can plan accordingly.

My one point of disappointment and confusion: Zelda GC is alunching a WEEK LATER?!?!? I can't race my roommate anymore now! /cry

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 10:24:57 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu People get tired of reading the same post over and over again.  Perhaps you don't trust us to read your one well-organized post, so you post it in multiple threads to ensure we'll read it.  Perhaps you feel that if the point is repeated often enough it somehow makes your ideas more valid.  Regardless, I find myself getting more annoyed every time I read one of your posts.  Which is a shame, because it's not that you don't have anything meaningful to say--it's just that it tends to get covered up by all the other crap spewing from your fingertips.

Sorry, it tends to happen when we have a pile of similar threads which all basically ask the same thing.

I hate to say it, but I do feel that I'm more encouraged to post these comments in threads where people seem to be able to say no wrong on the subject.

On the flipside, what good comes from people saying POSITIVE things...at all? Positive comments don't change reality any more than negative comments do, so why is a dissenting opinion automatically worth less than a positive one? Because people are bothered by it?

On the subject, I intend to preorder tomorrow, but Ian's mantra of one game at a time makes the most sense, but the controller prices are still very much a sock to the gut, especially if the reason is because Nintendo expects that everyone will want to own their own controller. That's Japanese logic which absolutely will NOT fly here in the US.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 10:26:26 AM »
I thinking about dropping around $450-$500. So I guess it'll be..
Wii:$250
1 Wiimote and nunchuck: $60
Rayman: $50
Elebits: $50
TP: $50

With tax that's $499....not too shabby actually. I might end up only getting two games, we'll see how the cash flow is

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 10:42:19 AM »
$250  Wii console
$50  Trauma Center
$50  Red Steel
$50  Rayman
$50  Zelda
$50  Excite Truck
$50  Monkey Ball
$150  other crap i can't think of at the moment
-----------------------
$600 = PS3

That's my game plan.

i'll have to lock this thread for it's DUR factor.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »
Wii             $250
Wiimote     $  40
Nunchuck   $  20
Red Steel   $  50
Zelda         $  50
------------------------
                 $410

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50:31 AM »
What I find ironic is that the cheapest next gen console is also the most expensive Nintendo system to date.

I actually never looked at the controller issue since I never buy more than one controller (lone gamer... ), but yeah I agree that 60 dollars for a whole controller set is a rip off.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2006, 10:53:07 AM »

Nintendo expects that everyone will want to own their own controller. That's Japanese logic which absolutely will NOT fly here in the US.

It might have more to do with their non-gamer strategy. Get grandma her own controller instead of a whole console.

What I find ironic is that the cheapest next gen console is also the most expensive Nintendo system to date.

We probably should have expected this, it was the same situation with the $150 DS.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
My dream bundle:

Wii: $250
Extra full controller: $50 (I'm not splitting hairs over ten dollars. Besides, if it was a bundle, it would work that way)
Twilight Princess: $50
Excite Truck: $50

$400, like the Gamecube bundle I got at launch.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2006, 11:12:33 AM »
Unfortunately, $250 is enough higher than $199, at least perceptually, that I've been shot down by the wife. No Wii for Mii. At least not for awhile.

(Well, I'm not totally counting it out yet, but... well, I've got my work cut out for me in convincing her that it's a good idea.)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2006, 11:18:15 AM »
Get her to a demo kiosk!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
224.99 for the system
35.99 for extra controller
17.99 for extra nunchuck
44.99 for Rayman
44.99 for Zelda
44.99 for Redsteel. . . maybe. . . I'm waiting for the reviews on that one.

That comes to $413.94

Reduced prices because of employee discount. I actually have reason to hope I'll get 20% off instead of the 10% listed above. That would make it $367.94

I'm hoping to get away like a bandit.

(also, thank goodness for Oregon state and lack of any sales tax.)

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2006, 11:25:35 AM »
Yes... Yes, she will be converted.

She, too, will become a true believer.
/molarum (sp?)

EDIT: Ok, just for fun!

$250 Wii!
 $40 Extra Wiimote (for the wifey in WiiSports)
 $50 Zelda: TP
 $50 Red Steel

$390+tax = $418.28

... (looks at total)
... Yeah, it's better if I don't add it up.
Twitter

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »
"It might have more to do with their non-gamer strategy. Get grandma her own controller instead of a whole console."

Why does grandma need her own controller if she doesn't have the console?  Wouldn't it be more likely that whoever owned the console would own the controllers?  Ideally for every console sold there should at most four controllers sold.  I think Nintendo's plan is to remove that limitation so that each person that plays a console has a controller.  A family of six has six controllers instead of just four like they normally would have.  The problem is that only a total idiot would fall for something like that.  Can you honestly see someone buying their kid a redundant controller?  Or ANYONE without a Wii themselves buying one?  I can't, even with non-gamers eating this thing up.  It's like trying to sell individual seatbelts with the idea being that everyone has their own and brings it with them to whatever vehicle they ride in.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2006, 12:15:21 PM »
Wii 250
Wiimote 40
Nunchuck 20
Zelda 50

360 dollars.  Which I already have saved.  Might throw in Red Steel, too, which would be 410 plus tax, about 442.8 altogether.  I should be able to manage that.
I'll probably request another Wiimote/Nunchuck or two for Christmas, and a game.  Either BIG DAMN TRUCKS or something else (Warioware?).  We'll see.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2006, 12:23:08 PM »

Originally posted by: decoyman
Unfortunately, $250 is enough higher than $199, at least perceptually, that I've been shot down by the wife. No Wii for Mii. At least not for awhile.

(Well, I'm not totally counting it out yet, but... well, I've got my work cut out for me in convincing her that it's a good idea.)

Do what I do.  Shuffle small amounts of money into a Paypal account until you have enough to get what you want.  When that doesn't work, sell something ... like blood, or organs.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
Wii = $250
Zelda: TP = $50
Red Steel (depending on reviews) = $50
Memory Card = ...*shrugs*

Total: $350+
Not bad, not great. Either Red Steel or Zelda might be pushed tell after launch, but I plan to get that "package" of stuff by the end of the year.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
eBay Organs™... service beginning November 18!

"Bid on kidneys, hearts, lungs, even brains! Whatever "It" is... It's on eBay!"  
Twitter

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2006, 12:34:11 PM »
Can I sell my Wang?

It has multiple uses.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Davideo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »
I am willing to bet that they will offer a "controller package" at most stores for $49.99.  I think they only listed the 19.99 nunchuck incase you needed to replace a broken one.   I'm also willing to bet that most stores will also have sales during the holidays on accessory products, since those are already so high of a markup that you should be able to get those pretty cheap.

::fingers crossed::

Also, has any other company signed on to make the actual remote yet?  Not that I'd buy it, but i'm just curious.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that due to the technology involved, you won't see a third-party controller of anything other than the "Classic" controller.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666i'll have to lock this thread for it's DUR factor.

"IF FIND dissenting opinion, THEN mock irreverently, REPEAT"

You, sir, are an "if-then" statement.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane It's like trying to sell individual seatbelts with the idea being that everyone has their own and brings it with them to whatever vehicle they ride in.

Completely agree.

Unless the Wiimote serves some sort of function which it can perform independent of the console, then the idea that everyone will buy their own Wiimote even though there are already 4 which connect to the console is not only unrealistic but also greedy on Nintendo's part.

The Wii may be the next iPod, but that doesn't mean people will carry the controller around like a fashion accessory.