Author Topic: It's offical, the AIAS awards are completely full of crap  (Read 19353 times)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
It's offical, the AIAS awards are completely full of crap
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2003, 04:43:06 AM »

Don't hold your breath. I predict Halo 2 will win the AIAS awards. At least then I can be sure money hats are involved.

What a biased fool you are. How do you know that HAlo 2 wont be better than Zelda? Have you played them both? You call the judges biased and yet you have made up YOUR mind without playing either game. Too funny.

Notice how most of these companies back Microsoft and have made deals to make games only for the XBox like Oddworld Inhabitants,Infogrames,Bioware corp and Ensemble Studios which is OWNED by Microsoft.

Basically Microsoft had 4 companies that make games only for XBox including Microsoft which is a judge too which is 5 judges on its side While Nintendo has none of its 2nd party as a judge or any allies like Capcom. So Nintendo only had 1.

Grow up. Can you be a little more faniacle you raging fan boy conspiracy dreaming up fool.

But yes I must say that Splinter Cell winning Console Game of the Year is somewhat questionable..

care to back that up with some reasoning?
It sold better than prime, it got great reviews as did prime, and it is a GREAT game. IMO it is just as deserving as prime for GOTY, but only one can win and I dont see it as a bad choice.
Have you even played it? If not how can you make such a decision?
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2003, 05:54:59 AM »
I really don't see why any of you care.  After all, they ARE both on gamecube or coming to it, so there really isn't anything to complain about.  Of the two titles that people were sure would win the award, both of them are going to be on gamecube, or already on it.  So we get both sides of the best ^^.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2003, 07:44:22 AM »
PlanetGameCube has all the results.

The only problems that I have with this year was Splinter Cell won, but wasn't nominated for Overall Game of the Year and Metroid Prime was nominated 10 times and came away with only 1 award. They should not nominate any game for Overall just use the Console and Computer Game of the Year list. I think Splinter Cell had a chance to win Overall GOTY. Maybe next year. I think that Metroid should have won a couple more.

Overall, AIAS has done a good job. They recognize great games like Animal Crossing and Sly Cooper.  

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2003, 01:45:51 PM »
I wanted to get out of this argument, as I am not informed enough, but on the subject of Splinter Cell I just saw an ad I found funny.

It says: Splinter Cell   "9.6 highest score ever!"
                                        -Official Xbox Magazine

Sorry, just thought that was humorous.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2003, 05:23:12 AM »
What's the ratio between domestic votes to foreign (relative to Japan, of course) votes?

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2003, 07:24:27 AM »

What a biased fool you are. How do you know that HAlo 2 wont be better than Zelda? Have you played them both? You call the judges biased and yet you have made up YOUR mind without playing either game. Too funny.

My mistake. I meant, watch them give Halo 2 GOTY even if it gets disappointing scores across the board. THEN I'll be sure.

Oh, and before you put your foot in your mouth... I played Splinter Cell on my PC. Don't bother playing the jealousy card.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline AceRazer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2003, 07:41:38 AM »
In response to the 2000 awards, I believe Chrono Cross should have won that year.  Thata game got a perfect 10 from Gamespot,  and I bet you can count the number of those on one hand.  in case you were wondering, Metroid Prime got a 9.7 and Splinter Cell got a 8.7.  Pretty big margain of difference if you ask me.  The only game in recent memory to get a 10 from there was Ocarina of Time.  I forget, was that game any good?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2003, 08:31:46 AM »

Oh, and before you put your foot in your mouth... I played Splinter Cell on my PC. Don't bother playing the jealousy card.

the jealousy card? Like I could care less what games you play or dont play.
Is splinter cell even out for PC, is it the same version as the console game? Just wondering on that one.

As for the GOTY award, it could have gone either way, you are just bitter because it went the OTHER way.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2003, 09:05:20 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

the jealousy card? Like I could care less what games you play or dont play.
Is splinter cell even out for PC, is it the same version as the console game? Just wondering on that one.

As for the GOTY award, it could have gone either way, you are just bitter because it went the OTHER way.

I warned you about putting your foot in your mouth.

In case you didn't get it, "don't play the jealousy card" means don't bother saying I'm jealous, because I'm not. I can play it on PC whenever I want. No, it's not the same version, it's an upgraded port. Might also interest you to know both the GC and PS2 are getting Splinter Cell too, if you didn't already.

No, I'm not bitter it went the OTHER way, because it's an okay game. I'm just suspicious that Microsoft won for the second year in a row over games that were generally more critically acclaimed. My suspicions were heightened when I looked at the panel of judges. Look at them first, then call me paranoid or bitter.

Now to turn the tables. Why are you defending them so vigorously? Seems you're bitter about Animal Crossing.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2003, 09:23:22 AM »

In case you didn't get it, "don't play the jealousy card" means don't bother saying I'm jealous, because I'm not. I can play it on PC whenever I want. No, it's not the same version, it's an upgraded port. Might also interest you to know both the GC and PS2 are getting Splinter Cell too, if you didn't already.

I have all 3 systems, and yes I know it is coming for all 3. As for playing it on PC, no interest to me at all. I hate playing games on a PC.

No, I'm not bitter it went the OTHER way, because it's an okay game. I'm just suspicious that Microsoft won for the second year in a row over games that were generally more critically acclaimed. My suspicions were heightened when I looked at the panel of judges. Look at them first, then call me paranoid or bitter.

Yes I saw the panel, and I still think it is propaganda. Splintercell is a GREAT game, it is just as deserving as Prime, why is that so hard to believe?
Also HALO was hands down the best game of last year.

Now to turn the tables. Why are you defending them so vigorously? Seems you're bitter about Animal Crossing. [/

As fro Animal crossing, I am glad it won, I think it DESERVED it. I am not defending anyone, I just think all this paranoid fanboyism that goes on here is pathetic. So metroid didnt win, big F'in deal. Do you still like it as much? If so, who cares.

Offline Byron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2003, 09:26:13 AM »
Notice how BattleField 1942 and Splinter Cell both won. They are both related because they are about war and terrorism and notice how 13/15 judges are AMERICAN companies and only 2 are Japanese.
Fact is if Metroid Prime had the slogan "Protecting American Freedoms" and called the space pirates "Terrorists" then it would have won.

How is the AIAS official when most of the judges are American and Japan is a big part of the gaming community and 2 out of the 3 consoles are Japanese?

Plus 4 of the judges are from companies are that are Microsoft 2nd party and 3 of them work closely with Microsoft. 7/15 judges are Microsoft allies.

I think Silicon Knights and Retro should have been on the judge list since Microsoft got their 2nd party on it too, so should Capcom since it is a Nintendo ally. They should have evened it out.

This is like the O.J trial where O.J won because of the jury selection.

I guess you can buy sucess after all.

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2003, 11:44:59 AM »

Yes I saw the panel, and I still think it is propaganda. Splintercell is a GREAT game, it is just as deserving as Prime, why is that so hard to believe?

Look at the name of the forum. You answered you own question. Of course people are going to read too much into it, and make assumptions, so that they can feel better about themselves, whether they want to believe thats what there doing it or not.

p.s. byron see this link:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181527

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2003, 01:43:50 PM »
Clearly up the BS.

The board of directors run the show, and nintendo's man the the freaking chairman for crying out loud (IE president).

And no they are not the judges, developers can summit this opinions (follow the rules on AIAS Website for information.

"Since its inception in 1996, the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences has relied on the leadership and direction of its board of directors. These men and women, all leaders of the interactive software industry, have volunteered their time and resources to help the Academy advance its mission of promoting awareness of the art and science of interactive games and entertainment. Each director has lent his or her talent and prestige to the common concerns of the interactive entertainment industry.

The Academy's Board of Directors is composed of the following industry leaders:

Don James, Nintendo of America, Chair (Like I said, top dog)
Ted Price, Insomniac Games, Vice Chair
John Sutyak, Infogrames, Secretary
Yves Blehaut, Infogrames
Rick Giolito, Electronic Arts
Lorne Lanning, Oddworld Inhabitants
Douglas Lowenstein, IDSA
Laird Malamed, Activision
Stuart Moulder, Microsoft
Ray Muzyka, Bioware Corp.
Paul Provenzano, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences
Mike Ryder, Sierra Entertainment
Jesse Schell, Walt Disney Imagineering
Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios
Shuhei Yoshida, Sony Computer Entertainment of America "

Voting Procedures

Which means there's 100's if not 1000's that can cast votes, it's a developers award show after all :0.

Comparing one review site like GS really doesn't mean much in the majority don't feel the same way, take it's review of SMS for example, it recieved a mere 8 which is quite a bit lower than most.  

*Shinning the light* back in the eyes of the blind .

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2003, 02:49:30 PM »
Agent, please don't link us to that crap again. Lord knows how many idiots will love to go into that forum and flame them, and then they will return etc. I have seen that happen way too many times...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2003, 03:14:02 PM »
"What a biased fool you are. How do you know that HAlo 2 wont be better than Zelda? Have you played them both? You call the judges biased and yet you have made up YOUR mind without playing either game. Too funny."

I agree with you completely that we shouldn't assume that the judges are biased. BUT, games like Halo 2 are kind of assumed to be good, and they get a lot of press. I'm not saying MS pays off the judges, but they might be blinded by the hype. When Halo 2 coems out, even if the game IS pretty bad, I *severely* doubt you'll hear anyone say as much. They're so jaded by the hype that they just assumed it's good. One interesting aspect I've grown as a Nintendo fan is the ability to spot out the occasional wrong thing- even thoguh I lvoed SMS, I thought it could have been MUCH better if Nintendo had tried a little harder. I doubt a lot of MS fans will spot any faults in Halo 2 just because they've already come to the conclusion that it WILL be good.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2003, 04:50:46 PM »
Umm. You comparing group A's abilbities to spot flaws before a games released to group B's abilities to spot flaws after its released. Of course group B will sound better.  

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2003, 05:03:28 PM »

Fact is if Metroid Prime had the slogan "Protecting American Freedoms" and called the space pirates "Terrorists" then it would have won.

You are an idiot.

Most of the people responding to this thread are saying "Why didnt MP win? Its the best game this is stupid" In your opinion its the best game. I can almost guarentee most of the people that said MP was better then Splinter Cell haven't even played it. Stop complaining because Prime didnt win, its not going to help. Just move on. Now back to my flaming..

This is like the O.J trial where O.J won because of the jury selection.

Idiot statement number 2.

How is the AIAS official when most of the judges are American and Japan is a big part of the gaming community and 2 out of the 3 consoles are Japanese?

Idiot statement number 3 (this guy is on a roll)

I think Silicon Knights and Retro should have been on the judge list since Microsoft got their 2nd party on it too, so should Capcom since it is a Nintendo ally. They should have evened it out.

Idiot Statement Number 4, seriously think out your posts. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2003, 06:07:25 PM »
Yes.. But

SSX should not have won Console GOTY in 2000....It did

Splinter Cell should not have won Console GOTY in 2002...it did

Halo should not have won GOTY in 2001...It did

the AIAS has proven in the past few years that quality of the games do not really matter.  Size fo the check from some company does.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline SilverBack1138

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2003, 08:24:20 PM »
Some of you may think that I'm a biased fanboy and in a way I am.  I just think that MP was so much better than Splinter Cell.  It was just more original and fun.  Don't get me wrong, I have Splinter Cell on my PC and I think the game is awesome, but I just think that MP was a better game.  Considering so many indie and mainstream publications have awarded it their GOTY award.  Personally, I like the MGS games more than I like Splinter Cell.  Splinter Cell is an outstanding game, one that I'm really enjoying, but I must say that IMO some other games were more deserving of that award.  You guys should read Gamespy's closing comments on the AIAS awards.  I generally agree with it, except that I do think that WC3 did deserve Strategy GOTY.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.

Offline Razex

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2003, 08:25:12 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that Splinter Cell deserved to win GOTY. Do you why? Because my dumbass friend has it on XBox and hasn't even beat the second level. He doesn't even play his Xbox at all.

And he didn't like Ocarina of Time either.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2003, 01:18:48 AM »

Halo should not have won GOTY in 2001...It did

You idiot. It deserved it hands down.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2003, 01:45:47 AM »
Compare and contrast:

Splintercell is a GREAT game, it is just as deserving as Prime, why is that so hard to believe?

You idiot. (Halo) deserved it hands down.

Seem a little bit... uh... contradictory? If you're gonna brush away our opinions, then don't expect us to listen to yours. I hate hypocrites like you.

Who says Halo deserved it more than GTA3? Other than you and AIAS?

If you're gonna say Halo deserved it more than GTA3... then I'm gonna say Metroid deserved it more than Splinter Cell. Have you even played Metroid? Those two games are not in the same league. I play Splinter Cell to show off my Radeon. I play Metroid to have fun.

So, what's it gonna be? Because you lose either way.  

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2003, 02:39:30 AM »
What's kinda funny is how someone mentioned the Japanese vrs Amercian ratio.

Have you seen the scores for MP in Japan, it recieved 33/40, 8/10, ect.  Japanese gamers don't give a SH!T about freaking Metroid Prime, never did.  That's why nintendo stopped developing the game years ago.

Vrs SC which is close to the genre as MGS which gets plantium scores in japan (37+).  

If you asked Japanese gamers, they would have chosen RE over MP.  Freaking RE O recieved a 39/40 as well as the Remake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far there's been a few GOTY's awards, GDC (game developer choice) is next week, and there really isn't a clear winner.  Vice City has taken two-- one was from Game Informer I believe.  

No two opinions are alike :0.

Offline Uncle Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2003, 04:18:40 AM »
You guys are bitching?

They're suckups to Microsoft?

If you checked, Nintendo got 8 awards. 7 for Gamecube. While Microsoft got ZIPPO, NONE, ZERO. Splinter Cell is unexclusive, I have the PC Demo on my Computer right now.

And No, Halo didn't deserve any awards. It's level design was complete crap. But Splinter Cell did deserve the award, that game was badass in every degree. Makes me remember why I got the X-Box. Why would Microsoft cheat to get this award? The game is not even exclusive. Hell, it didn't even have the "Only For X-Box" Symbol on it.

And Battlefield 1942's award, I couldn't agree more.  
Playing it Bogart.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2003, 05:19:49 AM »

Hell, it didn't even have the "Only For X-Box" Symbol on it.

Huh? I thought it did... at least the box I saw did.