Author Topic: RUMORS: Phoenix Wright Gets Appeal?  (Read 13397 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:RUMORS: Phoenix Wright Gets Appeal?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 04:35:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
And why is my quoted text a picture of an action figure?

I don't get the reference, either.

I thought the title on the side said "Talkbot" at first, which would have made sense, but it's actually "Tankbot".
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: RUMORS: Phoenix Wright Gets Appeal?
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 04:35:15 PM »
Um....gamestop.com right now is reporting that it has been re-released.  It's showing as instock at Walmart.com.

Just a heads up.  Get it now if you don't have it.  I WILL hunt you down if you don't.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
The rumor article has been edited to clarify the situation, after Capcom contacted us again.  Check the last few sentences to see what I mean.  I'm actually hoping to get more specific details about the reorders, like the ship date and any change in price.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 04:40:37 PM »
BTW, NCSX says that they have new copies of the game in their hands, and they're shipping them out as of today. So I'm not sure how this can be considered a false rumor. Unless you're saying all the people who were having an impossible time finding the game were just a rumor, in which case you've been Jedi-mind-tricked by Capcom. Or maybe you just wanted an excuse to post a link to NCSX, and yell "Objection!" and "Guilty!" in a PGC news post.

Edit: Nevermind.

Ian: Releasing niche games in small quantities and letting word of mouth take over isn't a new concept. And yelling "shortage" and "out of print" does tend to work in spurring sales, but not always, and it tends to leave the userbase feeling burned and manipulated. There's no reason for anyone to do it on purpose when it happens by itself sometimes anyways. The problem with pushing your luck is that some bad luck might push you overboard.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »
Yes, allowing game shortages has succeeded in making Atlus one of the largest and most influential game publishers over the years.
</sarcasm>
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
I think what Ian suggested is happening but for different reasons.

The hardcore would would enjoy the type of game buy it, love it, and rave about it. Meanwhile, by the time the non-hardcore who wouldn't enjoy the game hear all the raving, it's already gone from shelves but only because the publisher didn't predict strong sales.

For the next few months, people are left to try and track down a copy of the game while the hardcores continue to rave about how great it is.

Finally, the publisher ships more and the people who wouldn't like the game try it and give it bad reviews which would have countered the raving of the hardcore had there been enough copies to go around.

In Phoenix Wright's case, it's a niche game, but it's an excellent game, probably the best experience I've had on the DS to date.

EDIT: Hey, look! I just negated my own opinion...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »
There is no phoenix wright within 30283 miles of me...

=(

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 06:45:47 PM »
Wal-Mart.com claims to have the game in stock.  I just ordered a copy (missed out on this last year).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3943030

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 05:37:37 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B69E96/sr=8-1/qid=1142353683/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7536909-4573754?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Amazon says J&R Music has a copy.

Edit: I also have evidence that Gamespot also contacted a Capcom represenative and said copies are indeed returning to store shelves

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145876.html

Therefore I conclude with this evidence that Planet Gamecube met with a person who knew NOTHING!
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
Upon further talks with Capcom, the article's been edited to show the situation's current status.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »
Please note the updated rumor article with an official statement from Capcom that, this time, does confirm that more units are being shipped due to demand.  We are still hoping to get specifics on the new units (available date and price).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 10:29:57 AM »
Fire the previous Capcom rep who updates with LIES.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »
It could be an interesting strategy, but it's only going to work in the long run if the game's truly great, like this one is. If it can't live up to the hype, you're going to see a lot of quick sales and then a big sigh of disappointment. This game has those of us who already have it salivating over the prospect of a sequel coming stateside... I hope Capcom's got the good sense to make it happen.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:16 PM »
They're putting some new Phoenix Wright episodes out stateside, actually...on CELL PHONES. You know, the bastard stepchild of portable gaming. Let's hope smarter heads prevail at Capcom and they get us some GBA translations or something.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 11:00:31 AM »
PW has been on cell phones for ages in Japan.  They have all three GBA games on them. And doing that IS smart.  You make a lot of money with cell phone games, and this is one they know even snooty "real" gamers like us would be interested in.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 11:16:33 PM »
Well, it's profitable in Japan but from what I've heard the US is a developing country when it comes to cellphones with phones being locked so they don't even run software that wasn't bought from your service provider (i.e. no free market for that).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:22 PM »
I managed to get ahold of PW on ebay (for only 35$ too), and I have to say I am very impressed. THe writing is witty, the cases are clever, and you actually have to think!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2006, 06:23:54 AM »
Ok, so when exactly was this supposed to be showing up on shelves again... I've been checking local stores for weeks with no luck.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2006, 01:59:28 PM »
Phoenix Wright's original print run was (I believe) 30,000 units. They shipped all of them, and 10,000 sold though in the first month (October), so Capcom figured their job was done, cancelled the game, and moved on.

It sold 5,000 in November, and another 10,000 in December, at which point the word-of-mouth on the game was really starting to spread (although it was positive from day-1). Especially after Christmas, when presents were opened.

The last 5,000 units were snapped up within the first few days of January, at which point the "shortage" became complete (although some people were having trouble finding the game long before then). Stores didn't order more units, because the game was cancelled, and they couldn't, so they just shrugged their shoulders and moved on. And Capcom was denying that there was a shortage or a need for a reprint, noting that it was "still selling" in January.

Then Capcom probably noticed that zero units were selling in February, or there was some sort of inter-division friction because of the threat of Americans storming the European launch of the game in March, because Capcom decided to un-cancel the game and do another print run.

I don't know how big the run was, but Capcom didn't advertise it's arrival, so most stores didn't order any copies, only the ones who were specifically pestering Capcom (or stores that kept up with videogame news) did, and yet the run still shipped out entirely.

NCSX got their copies on March 13, and the scattered stores that got copies probably got them on about the same day. I didn't see any local stores carrying the second run of the game, and most online stores who picked it up seemed to sell out in about a week. NCSX thought they had "several months" worth of supply, and they had it available longer than anyone else I know of, but they ran out as of yesterday, April 14.

NCSX is saying that a third run of the game has been produced, and will be arriving sometime next month.
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »
Dear Capcom,

Want to make some big money for relatively little expense?

Make a Phoenix Wright game! You'll easily sell around 60,000 80,000 units in America, tons more in Japan, and all for a game that has almost zero animation, is completely sprite-based, and can't possible cost you that much to make!

....now...about Phoenix Write on the Rev...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2006, 04:48:08 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
NCSX is saying that a third run of the game has been produced, and will be arriving sometime next month.

And Capcom slowly becomes aware of this thing called capitalism, and supply and demand....

"Hey, look at this boss... everytime we ship out some of these games they _disappear_!   It's like MAGIC!"

Thanks for the update ruby

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2006, 10:59:01 PM »
"But... how? How does it sell? It's not a sequel, it's not mature-rated, it's not based onb a movie? What are we doing wrong?"

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

Seeing as someone just asked about Phoenix Wright in the Mailbag, now seems like a good time to bump this thread and point out that the "mid-May" date for the second batch of reprints was pushed back to "late May", which obviously didn't happen either, and a couple days ago NCSX reported that Capcom told them it was delayed again until "mid-June".

If this next reprint's anything like the last one, it's not going to be very big, and will only be carried by stores that know enough to be involved with it, FYI.
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2006, 02:36:02 PM »
This game's release has been cancelled in Australia and New Zealand. It was meant to come out in March, then fell off the release lists forever. Why does Capcom hate their own games so much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2006, 02:48:43 AM »
They don't hate their games. They hate Australia. And it's all YOUR fault. Yes, you!