Author Topic: Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 14782 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2006, 04:23:23 PM »
E3 is the sort of press conference where Reggie takes every audience member by the throat and crushes their vocal chords.  I'm sure they'll be plenty of interviews though
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting too, that they will get more answers from interviews, it's just that from all Wii things that are to be known this is the only thing that is bickering in my mind.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE:Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
E3 is the sort of press conference where Reggie takes every audience member by the throat and crushes their vocal chords.  I'm sure they'll be plenty of interviews though

I still want to go...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
Having the ability to play games from any region would be another door pirates could use to play copied games...

I don't understand this one. How does region coding prevent piracy? Region-switching my Cube didn't allow copied games to run. Region coding and copy protection are very different things. Actually, disabling region coding could help prevent piracy as many people who would be tempted to get their console chipped to be able to import wouldn't bother. (Even Sony has said this [IGN], though I doubt they'll follow through in a meaningful way.) I still expect the Wii to have and enforce region coding, but following the pattern of every other Nintendo console since the SNES, it will be fairly easy to region mod.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2006, 07:30:25 PM »
I was gonna make the same post. Region protection has absolutely nothing to do with piracy prevention...that answer makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm sorry.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2006, 05:50:39 AM »

The only thing that would make financial sense for Nintendo is to offer all of those old-school four-color Game Boy games (and maybe Game Boy Color games too) for play on Virtual Console. All of those are long out of print, and even though you can still use them on a GBA, finding a particular title from the past can be tricky. Even if they charged a dollar or two per game download, they could make a killing. There are a handful of GB games I would love to play again (Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise is one), and I'm sure there are many people who share that feeling.

I have that game...  I'm not sure if I'd pay $2 for it...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
Nintendo needs to let you download GameBoy/GBC games to the Wiiii, because they've abandoned GB/GBC support with the DS and the micro.

They can let you play them on a virtual Super GameBoy (3?) in the virtual SNES side of the Virtual Console. Or maybe let you beam them to your DS via Wi-Fi.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »

It's true that the small size of the Wii makes it extremely portable, but only in the sense that it's easy to transport it from place to place. Playing games on the console en route might be a different story because of that sensor bar. It's one thing if the bar can be positioned near the monitor inconspicuously, but then the issue of being to close to the sensor comes up, which can screw up the bar properly picking up controller moment.

Not to mention, even if you could get it to work, the motion of the car would probably make gameplay very difficult.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2006, 08:55:55 PM »

or will it possibly be controlled with the nunchuku/remote combo?

If they don't allow nunchuku+remote support, I'd see it as a cheap way to get more controller sales. Unless there's some reason the game wouldn't work with an analogue stick, 4 buttons, and a d-pad.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

or will it possibly be controlled with the nunchuku/remote combo?

If they don't allow nunchuku+remote support, I'd see it as a cheap way to get more controller sales. Unless there's some reason the game wouldn't work with an analogue stick, 4 buttons, and a d-pad.

Except that the game's being made by Masuhiro Sakurai, a guy who supposedly resigned from Nintendo/HAL because he was upset with Nintendo's milking of Kirby, and was just barely lured back with the promise of total freedom and support without corporate interference.

I'd chalk it up to him wanting to make a "next-gen" game, not a "new-gen" one. Which might mean that he's on the wrong console.

And you mean "1 button and 3 triggers", not "4 buttons".
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »
"I'd chalk it up to him wanting to make a 'next-gen' game, not a 'new-gen' one. Which might mean that he's on the wrong console."

If he wants to make SSB he's on the right console, legally anyway.

I think SSB would be perfectly playable with the remote and nunchuk.  It just would probably play better with a solid one-piece controller due to the frentic nature of it.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »

If he wants to make SSB he's on the right console, legally anyway.

There's always the GameCube. Or the DS. Nobody would complain about having to buy non-included controllers for either of those options.

Of course, those two systems don't have "next-gen" graphics, but then again, neither does Wii...  
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
What about both a solid one-piece controller and the remote?

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2006, 08:42:23 PM »

Except that the game's being made by Masuhiro Sakurai, a guy who supposedly resigned from Nintendo/HAL because he was upset with Nintendo's milking of Kirby, and was just barely lured back with the promise of total freedom and support without corporate interference.

Okay, then I'm sure the nunchaku setup will be supported...

I'd chalk it up to him wanting to make a "next-gen" game, not a "new-gen" one. Which might mean that he's on the wrong console.

And you mean "1 button and 3 triggers", not "4 buttons".

So, Nintendo cdoesn't want games like Super Smash Bros Brawl to be part of their self-titled "new generation", and trigger buttons don't count as buttons? Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2006, 08:24:42 AM »
"There's always the GameCube."

Yah right.  There's no point at all to making another SSB on the Cube.  This isn't any "third pillar" nonsense or anything like that.  The Cube's finished and the Wii is Nintendo's future.  All new console games should be for the Wii.  New Super Mario Bros probably could have been done on the GBA but it wasn't because it makes more sense to support the newer system.

One thing that a lot of people were worried about with the Wii was that since Nintendo was talking so much about changing gaming and targeting non-gamers that the "traditional" type of games would disappear.  Though I don't typically believe them when they say such things Nintendo has repeatedly said that that's not going to happen.  It's important for Nintendo to release games like SSB Brawl.  It shows that more traditional games will still be made.  The fact that it supports the old controller is also important.  Another fear was that Nintendo would force motion control when it was not needed.  Here is an example where they're acknowledging that motion control isn't going to work in every situation.  Allowing the use of the Cube controller ensures that this game will control as we expect it to.  And I assume it's just an option.  If you want to use the remote and nunchuk you probably can.  It's a cool option.  It's the sort of fan-friendly option that Nintendo typically NEVER provides.

If Nintendo didn't have any "traditional games" on the Wii a lot of people would be turned off.  Not that many gamers want to complete reject the formula they've enjoyed for over 20 years.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »
"One thing that a lot of people were worried about with the Wii was that since Nintendo was talking so much about changing gaming and targeting non-gamers that the "traditional" type of games would disappear. "

Yes, I wonder who that was...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a really important game for a number of reasons. It won't just be a huge seller; I mean, seriously, Smash Bros.? Yeesh. Aside from this, it's a graphically beautiful title (on any system), and it a demonstration that Nintendo isn't about justifying the Wiimote at the expense of a game's quality. Smash Bros. is probably most responsive with a traditional gamepad, and as such, that seems to be the default method.

Also, I think it's a good thing that it's not a launch title. The Wii's launch will be successful regardless of whether Smash Bros. is part of the line-up or not. Twilight Princess, Dragon Quest (in Japan), and maybe even MP3 will sell massively with the console, so it doesn't need SSB. However, as a shining beacon of light in the post-launch period, it can do a whole lot more to flesh out the Wii as a successful platform. As Harrison (I think it was him) said, it's that six months to a year that really sets the console's future in stone, and Brawl would definitely be a "rock-solid" game, if you catch my drift.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2006, 03:18:48 AM »
"Zero chance. Nintendo designed the console to work its magic on the majority of televisions out there, which don't have component input jacks. It wouldn't make sense to include something that most people wouldn't use. It's different with the Xbox 360 because MS designed the console to work with HDTVs, and they know that the people purchasing the system will need component cables. Besides, Nintendo will make more money by selling them separately. Hopefully, Wii component cables should be available in stores from day one. It would be dumb to need to order them through Nintendo's online store again."

Why not include the cord that proberly costs 2bucks to make, rather then sell them like now? (play-asia has them for 50US ouch)
atleast 50% of gamers in the next 2years, would be happy with nintendo
your logic doesnt make sense  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2006, 04:21:44 AM »
I would like to see Wii accessories sold in stores WEEKS in advance of the launch.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2006, 04:39:24 AM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
Why not include the cord that proberly costs 2bucks to make, rather then sell them like now? (play-asia has them for 50US ouch) atleast 50% of gamers in the next 2years, would be happy with nintendo your logic doesnt make sense

'Cause not including them means Nintendo can sell them and make a killing from those that actually need/want the input.
"wow."