Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 306781 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2006, 04:55:33 AM »
I still say the game controls like an N64 game and beyond that if the game controlled in free form, Samus should run fast all the time (no b button needed), and she should be able to look anywhere and look fast like a person wearing a billion dollar combat enhancement suit should be able to.  It doesn't feel like Samus to me, it feels like I'm carrying a boulder everywhere I go in the 3D Metroids.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2006, 12:39:39 PM »
That's just because you suck at games, nemo.  I had no trouble whatsoever on the final boss, or at any point in the game.  It controls brilliantly, much better than crap dual analogue FPS games, everything from dashing to changing beams to screw attack.  It's so simple.
Screw attack is awkward, and only useful in certain circumstances, but it's still easy to execute.  Also, I beat Emperor Ing Phase 1 with no trouble whatsoever, and I didn't use the screw attack.  I used a standard beam weapon.
Also, screw attack can destroy small enemies in one hit.  Very useful on those damn holographiky robots in Sanctuary.

Back to the trailer, I watched it again, a few times.  It looks much better than I recall, but some parts still concern me.  Mainly the girl bounty hunter (?) tagging along.  Friends in Metroid?  NO THANKS.  Plus she looks like she's ripped straight from Halo.
That's my only concern but it's really pissing me off.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2006, 01:05:40 PM »
I need to see this trailer...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
I think it's time to admit that Samus doesn't live in a vacuum and yes there can be live friendly people.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2006, 08:56:19 PM »
Das legendary RIDLEY FIGHT!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2006, 03:59:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
That's just because you suck at games, nemo.  I had no trouble whatsoever on the final boss, or at any point in the game.  It controls brilliantly, much better than crap dual analogue FPS games, everything from dashing to changing beams to screw attack.  It's so simple.
Screw attack is awkward, and only useful in certain circumstances, but it's still easy to execute.  Also, I beat Emperor Ing Phase 1 with no trouble whatsoever, and I didn't use the screw attack.  I used a standard beam weapon.
Also, screw attack can destroy small enemies in one hit.  Very useful on those damn holographiky robots in Sanctuary.

Back to the trailer, I watched it again, a few times.  It looks much better than I recall, but some parts still concern me.  Mainly the girl bounty hunter (?) tagging along.  Friends in Metroid?  NO THANKS.  Plus she looks like she's ripped straight from Halo.
That's my only concern but it's really pissing me off.

there is nothing wrong with my skills. the problem, as Nintendo has confirmed by changing everything about their controller, is that the game controls like complete ass. and the final boss fight is piss poorly designed (which makes no sense because there were so many other interesting bosses in the game).

those of you who are so in love with the Cube control set up are es-oh-el because Nintendo is completely changing it.  face it, part of the reason MP2 sold like a turd compared to Halo 2 is because the game just isn't fun.  the media didn't have fun, thus the reviews were, meh.  the only reason i played it is because i respected the first Prime's puzzles and bosses.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2006, 05:29:11 AM »
I guess I'll way in two.  I like the first prime but the very last boss was a serious let down especially considering how annoying the level itself was.

I don't like MP:2.  I just don't it was neat but it got old quick.  Messed up on my Cube and know I'm stuck at the underwater boss fight where everytime I die I have to go through a big long puzzle to get back.  Great Design there Retro.  It's more then a little annoying and killed the somewhat minute want that I still had to beat the game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2006, 06:04:34 AM »
"there is nothing wrong with my skills. the problem, as Nintendo has confirmed by changing everything about their controller, is that the game controls like complete ass."

do you really believe that? the remote is not confirmation of anything, this is nonsense

"those of you who are so in love with the Cube control set up are es-oh-el because Nintendo is completely changing it."

Well, duh? its a new controller of course they'll change it :|, if it was GC 2 instead of Wii the control setup would be identical, theres no doubt about it. Echoes wasnt the reason Nintendo decided to use gyros and pointing devices at all.

" face it, part of the reason MP2 sold like a turd compared to Halo 2 is because the game just isn't fun.  the media didn't have fun, thus the reviews were, meh."

WTF?
seriously WTF!?

Your arguments hold no ground, accept you just suck at the game and move on :P

EDIT:

I missed this

" I like the first prime but the very last boss was a serious let down especially considering how annoying the level itself was."

The final boss was fantastic, the sign of a great final boss is that it makes you use all your abilities, and this one did that perfectly. Metroid Prime (the creature) is among my top five bosses of all ltime.

And the only annoying thing about the emperor ing was the parts when he didnt open his mouth, the rest was great, and it made you use almost all your abilities, even an extensive use of the morphball.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2006, 06:36:28 AM »
Haven't gotten to the Emperor Ing in MP:2  I'm stuck on the Alpha Fish Thingy.  (I haven't played in a while but Ing are the dark creatures if I'm not mistaken.)  So your telling me there is another underwater fight... Blah...

I just felt the MP:1 the finally boss just wasn't hard enough compared to the some of the others.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2006, 06:43:49 AM »
There aren't more underwater bosses. Emperor Ing is the final boss. The alpha blogg made me cringe too, but its just a matter of timing and dashing in the right moment, timing is essential like in any other Metroid game.  

Out of all the 3D metroids, and from what Ive seen in corruption, the closest to the 2D ones is echoes, not only the mini bosses and bosses, and the difficulty, but is also the most eerie and creepy with tentacles going out of the walls and stuff like that. The others are too shiny and metalic, the dont feel very metroid-ish.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2006, 06:52:16 AM »
Well that might explain it.  The only 2D Metriod I like is Fusion.  (Though I haven't gotten to play Zero Mission yet)  Yeah.  It's not so much the boss its the amount of time it takes to get back to it when you lost the first time.  I get back and I've fully forgotten most of what I learned for the earlier battle.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »
Nemo, from what I recall the reviews of the Metroid games were generally excellent.  Also, the controls are not bad, tons of  people disagree with you (me, prof, others in this thread), we find the controls to be perfectly adequate.
Also, I doubt Nintendo came up with the Wii controller just because the Metroid Prime controls weren't flawless.  (I'd also point out that most of the people who demo'd the game said it needed improvement, and that they felt more comfortable with the old control scheme; at least for the default setup).
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »
this is just like the debate at EGM over MGS3 online's controls.  the people who tried to debate the game was brilliant were exposed in the weeks later by other editors for not even playing the game anymore.  

for comparison, people still play the jesus out of Halo 2...that cannot be said for MP2 after people beat it.  MP2 was respected for its Zelda-esque-ness but reviewers never claimed the game to be genius.  look back at EGM, Halo 2 was the game that got the killer reviews while the MP2 reviews complained of the complicated dual world system and controls which had not improved any.    

you guys are being ridiculous making attacks on my skills.  you're doing nothing but forfeiting your argument by making unfounded attacks at me; you say i suck, but all i hear is, "we're out of counters."  you act like you made the game.  get over the fact it is not the immaculate masterpiece you convinced yourself it was during the two year Nintendrought.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »

look back at EGM,

Argument FAILS.

I've actually never played MP2, but I was always annoyed by people who complained about the original's control scheme. Dual analog in metroid? Ugg. Maybe I'd feel differently after playing MP2....
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2006, 01:13:10 PM »
No, you really wouldn't.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
No one is saying Echoes is genius, and halo 2 isnt genius either, only its marketing campaign :P

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »

for comparison, people still play the jesus out of Halo 2...that cannot be said for MP2 after people beat it. MP2 was respected for its Zelda-esque-ness but reviewers never claimed the game to be genius
Maybe because Halo 2 is a game heavily focused on multiplayer (including online) and it was designed that way?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36:06 PM »
Can we say Counter Strike.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

for comparison, people still play the jesus out of Halo 2...that cannot be said for MP2 after people beat it.

Get back to me when you come up (read: make up) with a person who is still playing Halo 2's single player campaign. People are still playing Halo 2 because of the MULTIPLAYER. Echoes, while it has a multiplayer, is a single player game and therefore it simply cannot last as long as a multiplayer-centric game. So, just because we're not playing Echoes any more it automatically sucks? Who the f*ck is still playing Ocarina of Time? Does that game suck now too? Was there a memo that I missed?

This argument BLOWS.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »
I still play Goldeneye, therefore Ocarina of Times end boss was bodged up because it was 2D, and Minish Caps puzzle elements didn't help the fact that there were no save points in Super Mario Bros ONE BIT.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2006, 08:56:39 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83it feels like I'm carrying a boulder everywhere I go in the 3D Metroids.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »
"Get back to me when you come up (read: make up) with a person who is still playing Halo 2's single player campaign. People are still playing Halo 2 because of the MULTIPLAYER."

I've been on vacation but I believe they have talked about playing Halo 2 on the 1up podcast for the past two or three weeks; they also brought it up on the last EGM podcast I listened to.  People are playing it still despite new games like PDzero, GRAW, and Oblivion on 360.  And the campaign is multiplayer, you should know that.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2006, 05:35:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Das legendary RIDLEY FIGHT

Holy sh*t.

That cinches it: I'm buying MP3.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Will MP:3 cause motion sickness with the new controls? Because MP:2E made me realize that I get motion sickness.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »
What do the controls have to do with motion sickness?

If you get it, it seems like you're simply screwed for playing any sort of game with an first persona viewpoint, unless it's a very slow game...