Author Topic: cutting edge voice alteration~  (Read 2077 times)

Offline slingshot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
cutting edge voice alteration~
« on: May 03, 2005, 06:59:56 AM »
WOW- I just realized something.  All this talk about a wireless headset, and the ability to comunication through vocal commands that are fairly advanced sounded cool- but I was worried about one thing: my voice would sound really dumb next to, say, princess Zelda, and Gannon.  BUT, what if some voice distortion was included in the deal, so that when I talk, my voice can be changed somehow- to sound like LINK, or MARIO, or whatever!?  That would be so cool-

just a thought.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: cutting edge voice alteration~
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:51:38 AM »
No, please God no!

Voice Masking on Xbox Live is a large part of the reason why I rarely play Xbox Live games anymore.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »
It also wouldn't make sense to hear your own voice come out of the tv diffrently, voice actors enunciate better than me anyway (it's their job). I'd rather hear bad voice actors than have to read what's on the tv, only to hear what I just said back at me. I mean, I just said it, there is no reason that I'd need to hear it. The only reason the spoken language exists is to transmit information wirelessly (without paper) to another person, I don't need Link to tell me what I just read on the tv back to me in almost my own voice. I talk to myself enough as it is.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:14:59 AM »
My idea was not that you would hear it after you finished saying it, like a recording- but AT THE SAME TIME as you are saying it- only louder- so you would only hear the altered voice over your own.  

It was a cool thought- but I think it would probably suck in reality.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 07:38:23 AM »
Here's the secrets: You won't be able to hold conversations with video game characters this generation and there is aboslutely no reason why your voice would be played through the speakers as you speak into the headset, I mean what's the point? You can already hear yourself.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 08:20:49 AM »
Well, the point is feedback. Nothing like a high pitched screech to immerse you into a game.