Author Topic: General Revolution Talk  (Read 2389 times)

Offline xproductionz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
General Revolution Talk
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:56:58 PM »
i have always pondered this and i think this was a smart move on nintendo.. well you know how they say when you play chess is to think ahead your moves.. well nintendo seems to think that.. or so i think anyways.. and it already has begun.. look at the DS... its basically something to tide you over till the NEW GB comes out.. but wait.. they already thought of that by developing the GC... how you say.. well take this into consideration... the next GB already has games out for it... its basically the GC games... the new GB will basically use the same operating system the GC uses.... developers already have devkits for it and the discs are already small enough for it.... so lets say the new GB xomes out.. you not only can take ur GC games with you but new games as well... and when you get home you dont need some kind of GB player to play fames on the big TV... just take the disc out of your GB and plug it into you GC..

now another twist to this is that if the revolution is backwards compatible and use the same discs then you have a triforce (triangle) of 3 key products on the market that can be taken advantage of...

1.the GC which can play the NEW GB games(if they use the same operating system)
2.the NEW GB which can play GC games (and posibbly the Revolution games)
3.the Revolution that is backwards compatible with GC games and can play the NEW GB games

....just some food for thought.. just speaking my mind  

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
RE: General Revolution Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:47:37 AM »
I don't think so.  It doesn't seem likely.  I thought that all handhelds were cartridge based- not disc based.  Its been a while.
I would think that a handheld is such a different product than a home console that you would simply not be able to have
previous games compatible.  Everything has to be smaller, the controls are much different - out of necessity.

And unless I missed a big Nintendo announcement, I seriously doubt that they would release a second portable right after
they released the DS portable.  And at the same time as the REV.  Sounds like rumer juice to me.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
RE:General Revolution Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 05:29:06 AM »
IMO I believe the DS is a way Nintendo can get around the gameboy backwards capability problem. Since the NDS can play gameboy advanced games and touted as the 3rd pillar it allows Nintendo to move to a new format (hopefully somthing like mini-dvd) for the next gameboy. This in-turn will reduce production costs as dvd's are cheaper to produce than cartridges as well as people can still enjoy all their favourtie gameboy advanced games on the ds.  Whether or not it has gamecube backwards capability is a whole different ball game.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:41:07 AM »
"I thought that all handhelds were cartridge based"

N-Gage isn't.  Neither is GP32 or the DS.  Also, DS games are file system based similar to a CD or DVD.

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 07:16:14 AM »
PSP isnt cart based.

Interesting theory, I think it would be a long time b4 a new GB will come out.  The GC disc a fairly big in size bigger than the disc for the PSP so that would make the player itself bigger though it could be possible though.  That would be a good idea though to make the next GB backwards compatable with GC games.  Nintendo is so secretative sometimes that i loose interest in figuring them out, guesss we will havta wait till e-3(when is E-3 by the way?).

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:02:42 AM »
DS uses cartridges. It's supposed to use a new type of ROM; cheap, easily produced, field programmable, maximum storage starting at 128MB. But as far as I know, the DS is still using MASK ROM up to 16MB; what games have been stored on for years.

N-Gage/GP32/Zodiac all use flash memory, which is too expensive for distribution of read-only media.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:General Revolution Talk
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:41:41 AM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head. suddenly, developing 3d games for a handheld will change from making really expensive handheld games to really cheap home console games. That could give Nintendo a huge edge over the PSP.......unless Sony includes a PSP reader in the PS2, which they prolly will.
Even so, I think a portable gamecube would have an advantage over a portable ps2-alike which can't actually play PS2 games.

I would think that a handheld is such a different product than a home console that you would simply not be able to have previous games compatible. Everything has to be smaller, the controls are much different - out of necessity.

Not necesarily. If they can get portable DVD players, they can easily get a portable GameCube. Just need to make the screen big enough. multiplayer might be a problem, but if games could zoom into one of the picture-in-pictures...

I seriously doubt that they would release a second portable right after
they released the DS portable. And at the same time as the REV.

the summer or christmas after the rev release would be a good time.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers