Author Topic: No Revolution at E3?  (Read 19625 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:No Revolution at E3?
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 06:28:37 PM »
I don't know if ya'll saw, but in IGN's Nintendo Minute this week, Perrin Kaplan restated that Revolution will be "discussed" at E3.  This doesn't sound good...
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: No Revolution at E3?
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »
Actually, Perrin gave the perfect example of a non-answer and nobody anywhere's any the wiser about anything for it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2005, 07:37:33 PM »
I am disappointingly confident that Nintendo will do a brief "reveal" of Revolution at the E3 press conference.  There will likely be little to no presence of Revolution on the show floor, save for mabe a single unit behind a glass case (covered in drool and fingerprints).
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2005, 07:49:33 PM »
"Actually, Perrin gave the perfect example of a non-answer and nobody anywhere's any the wiser about anything for it."

True and she is the master of that but why give a non-answer?  Fans are anxious about the Rev so if they're planning on showing something substantial it would be in their best interest to let us know everything's cool and we have nothing to worry about.  The non-answer to me suggest two possibilities.  They either haven't decided what to do yet and don't want to promise anything or they aren't planning on showing much and a non-answer is a little better than "you're right, we're so going to disappoint you."

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2005, 08:02:10 PM »
Or maybe it's the same reason all other businesspeople give non-answers: "The higher-ups could change their minds so I'm not gonna put my foot in my mouth."

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2005, 08:20:43 PM »
She does that for a living no? Talking to media and the like? So its the status quo awnser.

Anyways, according to IGN some dude will spoil it tomorow on his blog. So We wont have to wait till E3 for Revo news
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2005, 05:44:12 AM »
HERE IS A QUOTE THAT NINTENDO IS GOING TO BE AT E3 TO SHOW THE REV

We reported recently that a rumor was swirling that the Nintendo Revolution is under such secrecy that the console wouldn't be making an appearance at next month's E3 in Los Angeles.

Today, we've gotten word through Fragland that Nintendo has confirmed the next-generation console will indeed make an appearance at E3. No confirmation if the console will actually be playable, but we'll keep our fingers crossed that it will.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2005, 06:54:40 AM »

Anyways, according to IGN some dude will spoil it tomorow on his blog. So We wont have to wait till E3 for Revo news  

I'm pretty sure you're wrong and it won't happen, but if that DID happen i'd be pissed off, I want the first time I see it to be live during the press conference, because it will be the best press conference ever. As for the "non-answer" from Kapplan that's because E3 is only A FEW WEEKS away so just wait and see, that was a stupid question from IGN (as usual), Nintendo want to surprise people during the conference, and I want them to surprise me.  

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Actually, Perrin gave the perfect example of a non-answer and nobody anywhere's any the wiser about anything for it."

True and she is the master of that but why give a non-answer?  Fans are anxious about the Rev so if they're planning on showing something substantial it would be in their best interest to let us know everything's cool and we have nothing to worry about.  The non-answer to me suggest two possibilities.  They either haven't decided what to do yet and don't want to promise anything or they aren't planning on showing much and a non-answer is a little better than "you're right, we're so going to disappoint you."

It's kind of funny, but I reached the exact opposite conclusion. If the news is bad, they want to get it out there and done with now. Otherwise, it will cast a pall over everything else they're showing. Therefore, I have three guesses about what is going on: it's still in the air (as you suggested), they're going to show something and reveal some more specs, or they'll go playable demos. I find the second to be most likely, given Nintendo's penchant for secrecy. The last is also possible for the following reason: even if the revolutionary feature is the controller, backward compatibility with the GameCube means that Rev games can be made that, at least for the length of a demo, are playable with GameCube controllers. Now, there's still the open question of if the Rev achieves that playability by also being backward compatible with the GC controllers. If true, then I can see a lot of ports requiring the GC controllers, which is a pain, so let's just hope it's not.

That said, realistically this is about what I expect: a few more tech specs, a Spaceworld 2000 style demo video that may or may not include some non-revolutionary feature revealing game-play, a final name, and a picture of the console itself - even if the controllers are kept under wraps. More than that would be gravy. Less would be insulting. Even if Nintendo is paranoid about keeping the new feature(s) under wraps, as Reggie said, "Graphics are the price of entry." So Nintendo needs to at least prove that their system will be able to go toe-to-toe in that department (demo vid and specs), and it can do so without revealing what's so revolutionary about it. The bare all that includes game-play demos will likely happen at TGS.

I'd be willing to go further and say that less would be very damaging for Nintendo.

BlackGriffen

Edit to add: If you want lessons on how a secretive company that likes to wow people is run, look no further than Apple computer. Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, never delivers bad news in his "Steve-note" presentations. The bad news always comes out in advance to prevent people's expectations from becoming too high. That way, Apple's stock price doesn't fall when Apple fails to live up to the hype. If Nintendo has any brains, they should run things the same way. It's tough to judge, however, because Nintendo only has to do this stuff once per generation (~5 years) whilst Apple has to do it far more often, making it easier to put together a pattern of behavior.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »
A seperate event (spaceword) might actually be better for Nintendo. Why? Because the newspaper headlines will read 'Nintendo finally unveils new, revolutionary console!' instead of 'the big 3 unveil latest consoles at E3'.

True and she is the master of that but why give a non-answer? Fans are anxious about the Rev so if they're planning on showing something substantial it would be in their best interest to let us know everything's cool and we have nothing to worry about.

Well, hopefully Nintendo is learning it's better to lower expectations and then blow people away, rather than raise expectations and then wind up disappointing people.

Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, never delivers bad news in his "Steve-note" presentations. The bad news always comes out in advance to prevent people's expectations from becoming too high.

Yeah, apple's the best. Speaking of which, if some rumors turned out to be true, maybe the Revolution will be unveiled at the next MacWorld instead of E3?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »
I saw the same thing on Fragland earlier, but I have no idea how reliable that site is.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2005, 04:04:13 PM »
The Revolution News has been posted... Dont know if its true or not. I wont post it here because i know some posters dont want to be spoiled by E3.

Lets just say it sounds "expensive". Expensive for Nintendo that is. Dont know if its gonna be true or not. Sounds interesting though

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2005, 05:11:23 PM »
If this is true, provide a link and substantiate. Otherwise, you're rumormongering.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2005, 05:17:30 PM »
http://brokensaints.com/blog/?p=47#comments , about 3/4 of the way down the page where Admin says something.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2005, 05:20:43 PM »
Why you couldn't just put it in spoiler tags so I didn't have to waste a good minute of my life is beyond me... /sarcasm

The system will in fact be shipped with wireless control. Whether or not there will be physical ports for old wired GCN controllers…Thats still an open debate. The controllers will NOT have a built in touch screen. The controller will have a removable “palm”, as I like to call it, that will function as a gyroscopic interface for specific games. As for the big “revolutionary” concept… The system comes equippeed with a short ranged wireless mapping camera that will somehow make the software “adapt” itself to your surroundings. How this will be applied to the games..All I know is that its something that will be used differently for each game utilizing it hence why I emphasized my pal’s “SOUNDS cool…but what about the games.” So there you go folks..I assure you we will see much much more in a few weeks at E3.

But what's funny is that this most likely WASN'T the Broken Saints guy that posted it...So take everything with a truckload of salt as always...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2005, 05:41:16 PM »
Exactly, it probably wasn't him. The story's supposed to be broken sometime this weekend... could be tomorrow.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »
It wasn't him, sillys. Just someone using the admin name. They even admitted it.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2005, 06:30:34 PM »
Actually, "SnsoryOverload (AKA Admin)" admitted it. Which begs the question: if "Admin" and "SnsoryOverload (AKA Admin)" are the same person, why did he use another account to tell the truth?

I mean, if we're going to have conspiracy theories, we should go all the way.

But like Bill and I said, it most likely wasn't him.

Edit: "Urgh, Paladin...WRONG. SnsoryOverload is some random reader who simply used 'Admin' as the submit name. All you have to do is enter 'Admin' as your name and you can post as 'Admin' too. SnsoryOverload has nothing to do with the site. His announcement was a joke, posing as the real admin. The announcement has yet to be made."

I was throwing another (tongue-in-cheek) level of complexity out there. What proof do you have that Admin and SnsoryOverload are the same person? All you have is SnsoryOverload's word for it.

zakkiel, yup, just wait.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2005, 06:53:07 PM »
So, basically, ignore until further notice. Alrighty then.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
Urgh, Paladin...WRONG. SnsoryOverload is some random reader who simply used 'Admin' as the submit name. All you have to do is enter 'Admin' as your name and you can post as 'Admin' too. SnsoryOverload has nothing to do with the site. His announcement was a joke, posing as the real admin. The announcement has yet to be made.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2005, 08:55:44 PM »
Yea - it's a double fake. Someone made their name "Admin" and wrote the announcement. Then another person, or possibly the same person, used SnsoryOverload as another name, and wrote that it was fake. The real Admin has written nothing at all

Oh, and Bill, I've wanted to ask you this for a while, but I keep on forgetting. You're signature is "Nyanya Zelda!" and I was just curious what Nyanya means. I'm originally from Africa, and in Swahili it means grandmother. I'm sure that it isn't what yours means, but I was just wondering.. (is it Japanese?)  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2005, 09:47:36 PM »
How the hell would a short-range wireless mapping camera work anyways?  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2005, 10:12:17 PM »
The inmersion system would probably be what he meant. using your backyard for example as a level in pikmin revolution... but its fake I was so exited about the posibility of new info

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2005, 10:36:38 PM »
Oh my god! That would be perfect for Pikmin. However, does it allow for those things pictured by the camera to be manipulated in the digital world. Like could Pikmin pick up a book sitting right next to me (in the game of course)?

I'm geussing no....
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2005, 05:49:13 AM »
Not quite like that.  According to the footage of Immersion, anything in the real world can effect anything digitally created- but not the other way around.  If something is moving in the real world like a see-saw, you could be sitting on one end, and mario on the other end, and if you made the see saw move up and down by yourself, on the screen Mario would move just like a person sitting on the other side of the see-saw.

But, Immersion will not play a part in home gaming.  It would be cool the first time you played it, but it would get very old, very fast without the diversity of levels.

As I've stated before, Immersion has its future in real life advertising, retail, real world interactivity.  If it branches off a bit, it has gaming potential.  It will need to be able to put gamers into the game to interact with the digital world, rather than game elements into the real world.  That would be awesome.  We would have to wear some sort of wireless equipment like what is used in motion capture, but very light weight, that could be picked up by cameras.  I still don't know how running would be taken into account.

Anyways Nintendo isn't going to do this stuff.