Author Topic: Beetle Adventure Racing  (Read 8917 times)

Beetle Adventure Racing
« on: February 15, 2003, 10:56:26 AM »
I absolutely loved this game on N64, and I was hoping if anyone had any news about this game.

Me and my friends loved this multiplayer (more than Mario Kart, in fact). We also loved the lelvels and style of racing they had. Any words of wisdom?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 11:02:37 AM »
hmmm, Ea big makes ssx tricky......hmmm
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 11:57:45 AM »
I absolutely LOVED Beetle Adventure Racing.  I would love a sequel or even an enhanced port.  Unfortunately, it was published by EA, and if they start pulling support for the Cube, we'll never see this game.  Although, I doubt that we'd see a sequel anyway.  It seemed like a game that just capitalized on the Beetle brand recognition that was big at the time.
Nintendo is my crack.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 12:26:02 PM »
I never did get to play this game on N64, but I always wanted too.  This game seemed to be very good, at least that was the general consensus.  Seeing an update would be nice, since I no longer own my n64.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 01:13:22 PM »
This game blew me away back when it came out.  It's still impressive.  The levels were by far the biggest I'd ever seen in a racer (although I'm sure there were bigger at the time), and it was just incredibly fun, filled with short-cuts, beautifully placed speed-boosts, destructable environs, etc.  I can't believe there's no sequel to this--I thought it was really popular.  Incredibly fun game.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 03:09:26 PM »
This game was so dope, part racer part exploration and al good. The same guys who developed Pilot Wings 64 hooked this game and they did a phenomenal job. I was just thinking a sequel to this is in order the other day.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2003, 05:41:33 PM »
Beetle Adventure Racing was really fun! I never bought it, but I rented it a lot. Sadly, I haven’t heard anything about BAR 2. I’d like to see a sequel though.

For me it would be cooler if they used the Audi TT instead of the Beetle (the TT is my favorite car). It wouldn’t be that hard either, VW owns Audi. Well, I can always dream.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline strubcube

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 08:54:02 PM »
I'd love to see them at least do an update to this excellent racer/explorer/multi player deathmatch with powerups come to the cube. Anyone remember.....Hot Lava....Hey!!
Inline Release

Each Xbox controller cord has an inline release.  This is a safety feature
designed to reduce the chance of the Xbox console falling when the cord is pulled. If the Xbox console falls and hits someone, especially a small child,
it could cause serious injury"

Ta

Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 09:22:26 PM »
Bettle Adventure Racing? Oh dear, that's one of the best racing games EVER, yes even better than any Gran Turismo game ever released. The mix between racing and adventure was like, brilliant. I really wish I could see/play a second part but I'm afraid if theres ever a chance it won't be on the Gamecube. It was developed by Paradigm and published by EA, I think Paradigm was bought by Infogrames and unfortunately both EA and Infogrames are thinking about pulling out their support on the GC. A real shame if this game goes to the Ps2 or Xbox.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2003, 12:51:28 AM »
I think it's weird how you guys talk about a BAR2.
Here in Australia, we have Beetle Adventure Racing 1.1
This version of BAR is actually called HSV Adventure Racing, where instead of Beetles, there were Holden HSVs. Strange.

All the tracks and music and stuff were the same, only the cars were different.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2003, 04:41:14 AM »
Strubcube, I remember that!  Me and my friends would drive our cars into the lava over and over just to hear that.  It was hilarious.

I really lived the blacklight shortcut in Wicked Woods.  That was one of the best alternate routes in the game.

Termin8, I've actually heard of the HSV version of the game.  I remember reading all about it, although I can't seem to remember where.  Hmmmm...
Nintendo is my crack.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 08:56:21 AM »
Beetle Adventure Racing info:

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Paradigm Entertainment, Inc.

Paradigm developed Pilotwings 64. On June 29, 2000, Paradigm was acquired by Infogrames.

Paradigm's GameCube games
Big Air Freestyle
SpyHunter

Beetle Adventure Racing is HSV Adventure Racing in Australia

Sales as of Dec 2002 - BEETLE ADVENTURE RACING 329,352

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2003, 12:12:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
This version of BAR is actually called HSV Adventure Racing, where instead of Beetles, there were Holden HSVs. Strange.

Why EA thought re-releasing a game with a simple swap in cars here is one of the biggest mysteries ever!
Anyway, I quite enjoyed BAR/HSVAR, I loved the shortcuts and stuff, reminded me alot of Rush.

Pity about the music though, looping two beats isn't my idea of a pumping soundtrack...

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 05:32:13 PM »
I really don't remember the soundtrack at all!  I guess it didn't strike me as good or bad, which means it's probably more bad than anything, or average, which is sometimes worse.

Speaking of bad soundtracks, Infernal--worst soundtrack ever by a great game composer: Yuzo Koshiro's "Streets of Rage 3."  I can't even describe how much of me died when I played that game expecting something close to the aural bliss of SoR2.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 06:44:16 PM »
I've never played SoR3. Looks like I'll have to d/l it now for the sheer pleasure of making my ears bleed!
Seriously, is it that bad? I loved the originals soundtrack, the boss theme was one of the best things I've heard come out of the Mega Drives audio chip since Starlight Zone on Sonic!

Oh yeah, here ya go Sean;
http://remix.overclocked.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR00564

Remixed bliss!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2003, 06:53:10 PM »
Honestly, Infernal, I thought it was HORRIBLE.  Thanks for the link, mate!

After this, I'm going to bed.  I've spent way too much time on here today.  *dies*

Oh, before I go: Beetle Adventure Racing Rules!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2003, 09:53:08 PM »

only the cars? what about the horrible faux australian voice that sounded like paul hogans inbread twin brother?
that was horrible
was BAR available in australia? ive only ever seen HSVAR, which i didn't like too much because of the holdens in it , did seem like a class game however

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2003, 11:46:24 AM »
Yep, BAR was released in Australia, but not for very long due to the whole "Hey let's confuse Australians and release the same game with cars they'd like!" thing that is HSV AR.

In fact, BAR is considered quite rare to the likes of EB World. I've seen mint condition pre-owned copies going for $90!  

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2003, 03:57:10 PM »
I liked that game a lot too.  I liked how there were shortcuts that werent all shortcuts...they were just different ways to go on the track.
Deftones own.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2003, 04:10:25 PM »
Well, I've never actually played it. Just thought I should point it out. I read the review for BAR in N64 Gamer, and the next month, there was an ad for HSVAR on the back of the front cover from Harvey Norman. The next issue after that, N64 Gamer wrote a small clear-up news article about HSVAR so as it wouldn't confuse people. Some thought it was a sequel after all.
Funny how it was exactly the same game.

And they put an aussie guy's voice in it?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline strat

• View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 04:41:56 PM »
The next-gen consoles need more games like that; un-realistic, fun racing games.  I don't know why, but I just dont like the Gran Turismos and such...ultra-realism in racing games is boring to me.
[] * []
Strat

Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 08:03:52 PM »
Everyone once in a while you need a game like BAR, to break the mood and have raving madness all night long with 3 other friends.

And this could be a perfect oppurtunity to make some $$$ off Gamecube by releasing a sequel. From the support I see, it can't do all too bad.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Beetle Adventure Racing
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2003, 04:23:12 AM »

Well, I've never actually played it. Just thought I should point it out. I read the review for BAR in N64 Gamer, and the next month, there was an ad for HSVAR on the back of the front cover from Harvey Norman. The next issue after that, N64 Gamer wrote a small clear-up news article about HSVAR so as it wouldn't confuse people. Some thought it was a sequel after all.
Funny how it was exactly the same game.

And they put an aussie guy's voice in it?

ooooooh yeah, and it was horrible, you would start the game and it woudl go "HSV Adventure racing, G'day" in the wankiest faux aussie voice ever, so bad it wasn't even funny

i remember that issue of n64 gamer actually