Author Topic: The Godfather  (Read 29647 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: The Godfather
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2007, 08:46:12 PM »
97.5% ?!?!?!?!

Wow, I just stopped after the story missions ended.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I paced myself so the territory takeovers, the mob hits, the favors, and the storyline all finished in the last few hours of gameplay.

If I won all the prize fights and robbed all the banks, I could probably get 100%

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
I love these sand box games, but I just don't have what it takes to fulfill them. I don't want to rob banks! Why must I rob banks! They've done nothing wrong! I just wanna murderize some tattaglias!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:The Godfather
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
I think I'm coming to the end of the main story. I was asked to bomb the headquarters of the rival gangs, but I'm going to go through and take over all the businesses first, and complete the 'favors'. I really like the game, especially the fine tuning you can do with the aiming.

Offline Chiller

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »
I actually managed over 100%.  How?  Well, apparently there was a glitch in the gamer where I could go through and complete hits that I had already completed.  I should note that these were only those done for the officer (I can't remember his name anymore).
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2007, 04:20:26 AM »
all this godfather praise is getting me curious.

im not a huge fan of sand-box games but i do like how easy it is to pace yourself and thats really what im looking for right now because of my extremely tight gaming budget (out of work for a few months and have a lil bit of birthday money. havent had a new game to play since warioware )

its obvious that this version of the Godfather is really good going by your opinions (and in the past have shown many of your opinions are close to that of my own) but with another big sand-box style game out there getting good reviews (Scarface) i wanted to get opinions on which game should get my money (first.. since i'll no doubt by the other later on when my funds increase)? (is Scarface even out??? i havent seen it anywhere)

i dont want to base my decision on review scores alone, i want some real gamer impressions. i need the opinion from those who have fully emmersed themselves in the experience. so.. any help?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2007, 05:12:49 AM »
I freakin' love this game.  I got so addicted to just extorting businesses that all I have done mission wise is through the horseplay mission, but i have taken every business and warehouse/compound/transport hub.  Hell yes, buy this game!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2007, 06:04:19 AM »
Yeah, territory take over is very satisfying.  

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
it is quite satisfying as well when you just walk into the store talk to the owner and the just hand over their money to you without you having to threaten them at all.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
I don't think there's the extortion of business owners in Scarface (by that I mean, bashing their heads into cash registers or throwing them out of their shop's windows), so that makes Godfather the defacto winner in content. I haven't played Scarface though, so I can't really make a comparison.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2007, 07:08:06 AM »

Originally posted by: NuclearSpeed
it is quite satisfying as well when you just walk into the store talk to the owner and the just hand over their money to you without you having to threaten them at all.

Yeah thats when you know you are a bad ass when it starts to get there.  You just walk in and they're like "oh sh!t"! ha ha

I wish you could friggin carry more Bombs! I got unlimited ammo the other day, do you know what I did to get that?  I just got a message that said I had and that was it.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2007, 07:21:18 AM »
If you put enough points into the offensive skills, you get unlimited ammo.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline j_moose

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
Is it possible to get all of the skill/attribute points?  I haven't played much lately because I "beat" the game - I became Don of NYC, I've taken over everything, etc.  I just have hit contracts to finish, the rest of the safes to crack, and the fights to go through...is there enough left there to get enough respect to level all the way up and get all of the points?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »
You can't get every skill point, because you cap out at level 50.

Make sure you do what they ask on the hits to get the bonus, otherwise getting levels is going to be slow going. Hijacking trucks and finding film containers get you respect points too.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2007, 12:43:41 PM »
Well I think Godfather is better, in Scarface the cursing taunts (which is mandatory to fill your balls meter, which enables your blind rage) gets annoying very fast its as if like a 13 year old learning all the "cool" curses and abusing it. I think the main thing that keeps Scarface popular is all the illegal stuff you could do like owning drug rings, coke sniffing lines and all that other fun stuff. The camera as if I recall is controlled by the pointer, you can visibly see the cross hair to see were the camera's center is focused and that cross hair also accounts for your aiming cross hair.

But by the difference of "mobscene" games Godfather is all about the family, territory ownership, business extortion and eventually becoming the don of NYC, to me Scarface is all about brutality, immature levels of cursing(after playing like 10 - 20 minutes it will come so apparent) and all about the drugs and the signature chainsaw.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2007, 05:24:19 PM »
I own both...I completed Godfather a couple of months ago and loved the game.  I was so good with the controls that I had each warehouse down to a routine.  The way I controlled the game, a commercial should've been filmed that would've doubled the sales (**exaggeration**).

Honestly, Godfather controlled very well.  It was the first non-Nintendo game outside of Raving Rabbids that really took advantage of the control.  From the moment you're grabbing thugs and slugging with whatever hand you felt like digging into their cheeks...or actually deciding you wanted to choke 'em...this game made it easy.

Scarface comes along...and the cursor control makes it different.  Prepare yourself of the learning curve that will take at least 3 hours of continuous play to master.  There was an option to use a similar control in Godfather, but many of us opted to use the simple lock-on mode, which is also present in Scarface.  

Scarface shines in...graphics, the RPG elements, and the under-appreciated street racing.  Let me 'splain:

The graphics are much more brighter, much more detailed, there are more alley ways...as a matter of fact...there are alley ways everywhere in this game.  You could cut through blocks and come out the other side of a chase through an alley way and lose whoever was chasin' you.  The environments are never the same.  Godfather was too much of the same look...going in and out of buildings that were designed exactly the same way...the rackets looked too much alike.  

The RPG elements.  All the Godfather "DON" stuff and abilities are cool.  Calling a hit squad to take over a rival gang HQ was awesome, but all that stuff is made much more deeper in Scarface.  The "Exotics" in Scarface bring much more funk and replay level to the game.  There are a long list of cars, boats, and stuff to do with the mansion that go beyond what the Godfather has accomplished.  There's much more customization.

Finally, the street racing episodes of the game are well-designed.  Some of these races are almost games in themselves.  I would recommend all of the races in downtown.  The have the simple ones through the city blocks, but when they start to take you through the construction dirt roads of the game...that's where the fun is...prepare for some good old fashioned arcade style racing.  There's also one long course that will take you on the freeway and through some...uhmmm...lemme not spoil it.  Good car controls...make for some easy arcade racing.  

Scarface's cursing does get annoying, as someone in here as already pointed out, but the conversations that you can complete are fun.  Godfather's gunplay/fighting controls are still better, which important in a game, but once one comes to grips with the control scheme in Scarface, there's fun to be had in a serious way.  You're forced to use the Wii Remote like a mouse and navigate.

SCORECARD:  

Graphics:  Scarface
Gameplay:  Godfather
Presentation:  Scarface
Fun Factor:  TIED
Replay Factor:  Scarface
OVERALL:  I would recommend both because they're great.  If I had to pick...I would pick Scarface.  If you wanted to play it in front of some PG-13 crowd...play Godfather.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2007, 05:39:21 PM »
I really liked how the Godfather handled the camera. First, it wasn't necessary to adjust most of the time (except when backing up while driving, that kinda sucked) and second the d-pad worked really well and felt natural for the camera cotnrol.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
ahh these impressions on both games are still making it hard to choose.

i definately won't be playing either game in front of a pg crowd so the cursing in scarface wont be a problem. even if it does become repetitive and annoying.. i've put up with more annoying things in other games that even if it'll frustrate me i'll just play the game better because i'll be feeling tony's rage and take it out on everything on my path

hm.. i dunno i think i might have to check out scarface for the visuals. NYC gets boring afterawhile especially if its as dull as described. not only do i pretty much live near NYC and there all the time, but after playing thru True Crimes: NYC i'd much rather have the bright Miami setting.

and if the games racing is as good as mentioned thats a big advantage right there. i've been meaning to buy excite truck cuz i loved playing that game at work but i cant see myself paying full price for it
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.