Author Topic: The problem with "Wii'...  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The problem with "Wii'...
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:36:05 PM »
Reading more and listening to some thoughts about the name has finally brought me to why the name just doesn't work. I like the idea of a short, simple word. I like the idea of something different with a lot of meanings. But 'Wii' isn't that name. Why? A few reasons:

1) Wii isn't the name of an object. It's hard to use, and it shouldn't have to be. Because it's based off of a pro-noun but is forced to function as a noun, and it makes it awkward. The names it is modelled after (iPod primarily) are set after the same principle, but it's not the same usage. It doesn't sound like an object, and there is no brand Nintendo has mentioned that is an object without some sort of noun. It just doesn't work they way they want it to.
2) It's outdated. The 'i' is old. The iMac redefined naming tech objects, and it was brilliant, but it's been 8 years. Everything has an 'i' now, every little device, everything. It's tired, and it's passe. The little 'i' is old, and it's going to be even older in 5 years.

Basically, I like the idea. I like the intent. I like the direction. But the name does not work like it's meant to. It's not that it's disgusting, or terrible, or offensive, it's just not right. It doesn't work.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: The problem with "Wii'...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:43:29 PM »
The problem with the name is that its imposible to be marketed in the UK. I think Nintendo just gave up on the british.

Someone in another forum pointed out something very interesting "I like the name a lot because I dont know how to pronounce it", that actually got me thinking about my own hate for the name, if I didnt know about how its pronounced, Id actually like it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:The problem with "Wii'...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »
There is no problem with Wii, the problem resides in those to immature to look past "urine" references.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »
As far as I know, the urine references are pretty standard in the UK, is not slang or inmature in any way, is a common day word used by everyone to talk about going to the bathroom to piss.

I dont like the sound itself jokes aside, but the composition that the W and the two i makes is pretty cool.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:52:26 PM »
Good points.

I agree with point number 2 but not really point 1. The fact that the name is so unusual is what I like about it. No, it doesn't sound like a noun, or anything else heretofore on this earth. It's totally, completely, unique.

The reason the name works, for me, is that it looks good (it makes for a great logo), and it sounds good. If a non-gamer friend overhears a conversation along the lines of "Hey do you want to play some Xtremebox 460?" mental barriers immedatley go up. That's a whole other world to them, they know about that stuff and dismiss it.  But if they overhear "You want to play some Wii?" they're intrigued. What the hell is Wii? A board game, a secret code for some naughty activity, what?

And intrigue is good.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »
Seeing "Wii" on the box of a game would look incredibly fresh and interesting... It's just when saying it out loud, it sounds a bit odd. But when you think about the names of MS and Sony's consoles, Wii doesn't sound so bad. How boring is Xbox360? putting "360" after something just sounds like a corny Tyco RC truck. When I first saw the name I seriously thought it was a fake or joke (Nextbox would have been such a better name imo). And everyone knew the next Playstation was going to be called PS3.... It's rather boring... it makes you think your just getting another Xbox, or another playstation. Wii sounds like something completely fresh and new.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »
Wandering's got it right.

1. People are going to ask about the name, and what it is, even if they don't like it, people will know what it is.
2. Wii looks cool. Wii. Wii.
3. As much as people hat to admit it, it can be marketed. The name sounds like "we", Nintendo ableit corny, will use this in their ad campaign.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »
I think Nintendo should Just start showing the short flash Movie for the Wii everywhere, so by the time the Wii is out everyone will be used to it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:17 PM »
the problem is it looks great, but sounds horrible. It is a high pitched and annoying word. I wish Nintendo wasn't so arrogant. This is rediculous.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
thats the problem for UK, people wont talk about it like just "wii" to be confused with "we", people will use it as noun, which means calling it "the wii" with the "the", and it will be the laughing stock of marketing for years to come, the wii sounds like "the wee" for them and no marketing campaing will change that.

Seriously the few british Ive seen in forums said that the name simply wont take off over there.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 10:13:07 PM »
"I wish Nintendo wasn't so arrogant."

Alright, this has to be at least the third time I've heard this, and I'd REALLY like to hear the reasoning behind it.
And not the butchered, pseudo-logic most of you are throwing out, but something honestly supporting this claim.  I'd like that.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:45:04 PM »

There is no problem with Wii, the problem resides in those to immature to look past "urine" references.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it has anything to do with maturity - or rather, I think it instantly causes people to forget themselves and regress.  Everyone I've mentioned it to in conversation, no matter how old or mature they may be, immediately thinks it sounds phallic, silly, or just plain stupid.  People make jokes because it sounds like a bad joke.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:48:07 PM »
I here a civil war is brewing, pro-wii vs. anti-wii.  Will the PGC boards run red with the blood of the unbelievers?

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:48:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

I'm sorry, but I don't think it has anything to do with maturity - or rather, I think it instantly causes people to forget themselves and regress.  Everyone I've mentioned it to in conversation, no matter how old or mature they may be, immediately thinks it sounds phallic, silly, or just plain stupid.  People make jokes because it sounds like a bad joke.

which is OK

Regression for a few moments, even as frequently as EVERYTIME you look at/ say Wii, is normal and has  to be expected even by Nintendo.

Thinking it will fail just because of that = not looking past the urine jokes

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 10:50:23 PM »
The people I have talked to have remarked that it sounds wierd, and that's about it. It IS wierd, but it's not a bad name, except to those who associate it with "wee".

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 10:53:38 PM »

"I wish Nintendo wasn't so arrogant."

Alright, this has to be at least the third time I've heard this, and I'd REALLY like to hear the reasoning behind it.
And not the butchered, pseudo-logic most of you are throwing out, but something honestly supporting this claim. I'd like that.

We don't like the name, Nintendo is using it anyway. I imagine.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »
But not everyone hates the name, originally I did, but now i'm ok with it.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 05:05:08 AM »
I agree with the OP's (original poster's) second point.

I don't have a problem with Nintendo going with an abstract name. That's their best chance of busting out of the gamer-only crowd. But the use of the i's IS dated, and "Wii" just isn't a good pick, despite the ridiculously easy marketing.

Even if they were to add another letter or syllable, it could be better. Add an 'O' or something. Wiio. (We-Oh).
"wow."

Offline odilon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 05:17:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus  2) It's outdated. The 'i' is old. The iMac redefined naming tech objects, and it was brilliant, but it's been 8 years. Everything has an 'i' now, every little device, everything. It's tired, and it's passe. The little 'i' is old, and it's going to be even older in 5 years.

But it's not the iWii, it's simply Wii.  That's almost like saying that the name Revolution wouldn't have worked, because of the 'i'. (Almost.)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 05:49:22 AM »

Originally posted by: odilon

Originally posted by: Artimus  2) It's outdated. The 'i' is old. The iMac redefined naming tech objects, and it was brilliant, but it's been 8 years. Everything has an 'i' now, every little device, everything. It's tired, and it's passe. The little 'i' is old, and it's going to be even older in 5 years.

But it's not the iWii, it's simply Wii.  That's almost like saying that the name Revolution wouldn't have worked, because of the 'i'. (Almost.)

Uhhh...no. Have you not seen the video? The lower case 'i' is a central focus point of the name. They made a joke on the IGN podcast that people would buy the Wii because it was so radical it put the i after the capital letter. I didn't realize anyone would actually consider that a serious point...lol.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 07:13:24 AM »
The jokes ARE a problem, you can say "oh grow up" as much as you want, but thats denial, its the first impression of the console in many, many people, and thats simply not a good impression.

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 11:21:30 AM »
They could always rename it to "Iww" and satisfy all parties.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 02:22:06 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I here a civil war is brewing, pro-wii vs. anti-wii.  Will the PGC boards run red with the blood of the unbelievers?

i think you meant unbewiivers
I'll shut up now...