Author Topic: What makes a great handheld?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
What makes a great handheld?
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:28:14 AM »
I've been thinking about what makes a handheld and what makes a console system, IMO they are for certain games. Sure you can have some cross over and ports but I've always felt a handheld system should stick with games that are pick up and play for the most part (like Meteos, 2-D platformers, WW Touched etc). I think one reason why PSP has been struggling is because it feels like a PS2 portable and the games are nothing special, feeling like ports of PS2 games, I don't think handheld gaming was built for too many console ports. I bought a PSP but sold it because the experience felt like the same thing I've felt on consoles for years, but on a smaller screen along with poorer controls. I think Nintendo has always been great with their handhelds, every once in awhile they may create a 3-D platformer, RPG (well 3rd parties usually do thosE), or something like that but they keep the majority of games as addicting pick up and play titles such as Kirby, Nintendogs, Bomberman, WarioWare series, and puzzle games. I think this is one reason why Nintendo still is ahead in the handheld department, people are ready for console on the go, but what a different experience that is unique to handhelds. What do you think?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:What makes a great handheld?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 05:26:18 AM »
Here are my important factors for a handheld:
1. Games - Geee this is an obvious one

2. Durability - Well its important because your handhelp might get a beating in your pocket or some kind of bag. And since its a handheld if it breaks you can only hope your warranty is still active or your going to buy a new one.

3. Price Point- These aren't exactly consoles that would cost 200+(except PSP breaks this rule obviously)   so handhelds along with handheld games SHOULD be should be cheaper than console games.  

4. Battery - Well you wouldn't be able to play long on the go without a good battery life now would you?

5.Portability Factor - It should be relatively small to fit a pocket or a bag because if it was big it would defeat the purpose of it being a portable.

6. Wireless Multiplayer/Wi-Fi - the DS and PSP obviously spoiled us with seamless wireless multiplayer  its a big breath of fresh air after we were stuck with link cables throughout all of these years. Also DS has spoiled us with another perk efficiant single card multiplayer this is a big boon because what if your friends dont own X game and they want to play with you with their DS's, PSP has a UMD share feature on some games only out in japan which offers a same type of thing.  Internet gaming with handhelds should be a nice experiance for all of us especially if Nintendo makes DSpeak as a standard feature in multiplayer games.  

7. A diferent experiance from current consoles - Why would you buy a handheld if you own a [current] console version of a game, this obviously isnt important to some people but to some it is because I feel that developers and publishers would just want a cheap profit if they just port or shoehorn a console game to a handheld (I'm looking at you PSP [and to an extent DS]).  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 06:25:59 AM »
Lord_die_seis
Really nailed this.  So I will see if I can just add anything to his comments.

Durability:  Not only should the handheld hardware be durable.  So should the games.  You should never have to worry about scratching or breaking games at all with your handheld.  That is why cartridges even though they are more costly are better for portable gaming.  Nintendo's new DS cards are interesting.  Sometimes though I think they are too delicate.

Games:  Handheld games are not console games.  PERIOD.  You can't design them in any similar fashion.  Handheld games must have easy save points, be a game that is quick to get into, and be able to quickly satisfy.  Handheld games are best as arcade type games.  You may complain about Yoshi's Touch and Go but it is a perfect handheld game.  I can start the game instantly, it is easy to pick up and learn how to play, and the game is short for quick play, but still retains replayability.  If the game is epic it must have save anywhere.

Wireless multiplayer:  This actually is relatively new for a successful portable.  Sure the gameboy systems had multiplayer, but it was such a hassle it really left multiplayer gaming to the consoles.  Now you can play wirelessly and it will add to the success of differinating the portable market from the console, but time is still needed to see the important of this feature and how often it is used.

Battery:  Along with good battery is also fast recharge is needed.  and options to play on a power source while charging.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 01:24:41 PM »
Great replies, I think Durability is a big factor, even though I take great care of my handhelds I still felt like I was going to break my PSP just by holding it. Not to mention all the moving parts it also had, which I felt was a flaw (I think carts are the right medium for handhelds).  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: What makes a great handheld?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 05:09:40 AM »
VGrevolution:  I feel the same way about my DS.  Surprisingly I never felt that way about my GBA or Gameboy Color.  

I heard the early Gameboys could be dropped, submerged in water, and all sorts of other tests and it still worked.  

Amazing.

The SP, DS, or PSP just don't look to have that much protection.  Hopefully the Micro will, because the more I think about it the more I want it for TRUE portable gaming...and my DS will stay at home for fun DS games.

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 06:29:33 AM »
The SP and the DS are a lot tougher than they look.  I've dropped the DS on really hard flooring and the most that came off it was some paint on the corner of the unit.  Everything else still worked exactly how it was supposed to, no broken hinges, no dead pixel rows, no anything.  I remember accidently pouring grape juice in the cartridge slot of the original GB and thought it was pretty much dead.  Well, once it dried off it worked like nothing happened to it.  I'm quite sure the SP and DS aren't any different.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »
Darknight:  That is good to know.  I am almost paranoid about my DS and taking it places...but you relieved some of my stress.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »
DS' are very durable, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My friend dropped mine, for a good four foot drop, onto a tile floor with the only "damage" being that the game inside ejected. Another time, I was carrying too much stuff in my hands and the DS spilled into the pavement by my car. Damage? A few chips to the paint, but otherwise nothing.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »
Pokemon

Offline McBacon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 11:50:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Lord_die_seis
Games:  Handheld games are not console games.  PERIOD.  You can't design them in any similar fashion.  Handheld games must have easy save points, be a game that is quick to get into, and be able to quickly satisfy.  Handheld games are best as arcade type games.

I agree, but there are so many good RPGs as well. I think the ones that have done best are the ones with a mission and a few enemies to beat where you can save right after (I'm talking about FFTA and Advance Wars of course). Pokémon is also good, you can level up your creatures on the bus without getting roped into an imersive story.

When Pokemon and Advance Wars hit the DS... blimey.
Also, the instant sleep mode when you slap the lid down is AWESOME for getting off the bus and into the classroom to finish a level on kirby

Back to your point on arcade games, I think a clear indication of what you have unlocked is good. Take Wario Ware and Kirby Canvas Curse for example, you know what you are doing, and can just do a quick rainbow run on the train to get a couple of medals. I think the DS already has some killer arcade titles you were talking about.
Currently Playing
- Starfox Adventures -

April 2005's Game Purchases
- Starfox Adventures -

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »
You mean when a pokémon RPG hits the DS.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.