Author Topic: Gamecube on Widescreen TVs  (Read 1221 times)

Offline popkorn1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube on Widescreen TVs
« on: September 08, 2003, 04:10:52 PM »
I'm in the market to get a new TV and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get.  Widescreen TVs are awesome looking, but how are they for gaming?  Do you have to play all/most games with black bars on the side?  Do they stretch?  

And is there a difference between a non HDTV Component video and an HDTV with Component, or is the quality the same?

I'm debating whether or not I should fork over the dough for an HDTV-ready TV and wait a few years till the receivers get cheaper.. or if I should just go for a component TV and get an HDTV when they become cheaper in a couple years.

There's a Philips - 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube TV that I'm looking at.. around $600, it's not HDTV ready but it has component inputs.   Should I go for that, or a 4:3 television?  I just want my games to look as best as possible.

Thanks!

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
RE: Gamecube on Widescreen TVs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 06:50:32 PM »
There are Samsung and Advent 27" HDTVs available now, for $700 and $500 respectively. I'm gonna get the Samsung, because first, I don't know if Advent is really any good, and second, I get almost $200 off with my discount. Many games feature a widescreen format, although not all. HDTV with Component would be much better, as progressive scan will provide a much sharper, cleaner image. It's a tough call to make, but I'm surprised they have HDTV's at this price so soon....thank god!
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline iTZKooPA

• View Profile
RE: Gamecube on Widescreen TVs
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 06:10:10 AM »
component means its gonna get a better signal = better quality
a HDTV will probably make the biggest difference out of all the things you asked about
so if you want it look as best as possible get a widescreen htv with component
like griffin said alot of games come widescreen or with a widescreen mode now (such as eternal darkness, Dennis Dyack is the American Miyamoto...)
-KooPA