Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Caterkiller

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179
1
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Direct Sept. 9, 2026 Thoughts
« on: September 16, 2026, 02:18:41 PM »
I thought the direct was pretty darn solid. For me it was a Solid B+ to an A-. Kirby, Metroid, Zelda and more Star Fox stages are A tier announcements in my book. Plus I get to enjoy the other Resident Evil Remakes, Tomb Raider, new Fire Emblem and a new Xenoblade? Count me the eF in! The things that aren't for me aren't for me. Not into Monster Hunter any longer or a whole host of other 3rd party offerings but that's ok, we got an open ended Kirby!!!

Back in the N64 days I was so disappointed when Christal Shards was just a 2D platformer. It was fun but not what I dreamed about. Then so many generations passed before we got Forgotten Land! When Forgotten Land was shown for a moment I thought it was the open ended Kirby of my dreams. Of course right away we could all tell it was pretty linear, but a wonderful step forward as far as I'm concerned. Now the copy abilities give quick speed across great distances and are used to interact with the environment with significant effect? HOLY MATRIMONY!

Metroid look amazing. Though still waiting for more 3D 3rd person metroid like Other M. I think Sakamoto has learned his lesson this time around. I mean I can just tell from Dread and this new trailer. No more weird controls and strange story bits and people will bite for ninja Samus.

Star Fox's additional multiplayer. You all just don't know what that multiplayer means to me! And now on a single Switch my son and daughter can join me as we take on a team online! Yes!!!!! Give me those new arenas and goals!

And friends you gotta think, Nintendo is really letting their smaller tier franchises get first crack. Aside from Mario Kart, we don't have the super biggies of the Switch 1 era yet. No brand new Zelda, 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash or Pokemon. What else am I missing?

Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Metroid and Xenoblade or getting the first go of it. Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Zelda are there but it's the spin offs, side games or remakes. Though I could also argue Ocarina of Time is almost as big of a release as a new open world Zelda. Almost. Whatever the case I really enjoy this current strategy of allowing the smaller franchises the chance to be the big stars. Donkey Kong, Metroid, Star Fox and Kirby have definitely been given that chance to win over new fans before all eyes are on new Mario, Zelda etc.

I'm banking on these franchises getting this early exposure before Mario, Zelda, Smash, etc as a way to build their brands. If they get more sales then there is a good chance their future releases will be relatively healthy.

When it comes to updates of older games. You know I could care less about Animal Crossing, Mario Wonder, and like 50 other things getting a Switch 2 edition or something close to it. But boooooy when Donkey Kong Country Returns got that Switch 2 update?! I was jumping for joy! It was free and gave more value to a game that I absolutely love! I can't be mad at that. It gave more value to something I thought I was more or less done with. I can't imagine how Xenoblade fans must feel! That stuff is great in the long run. I don't have to like it but I know there are those out there who do. The Switch 2 gives more value to what came before as we don't have to start perfectly fresh with no games and old controllers that are incompatible.

I'm loving Nintendo's strategy right now.


2
TalkBack / Re: Final Fantasy VII Revelation Hands-on Preview
« on: September 16, 2026, 01:35:53 PM »
Great preview, i'm excited! Just finishing up Remake after finishing up the original PSX version. I took myself back in time and I can clearly see why the original took the gaming world by storm.

3
TalkBack / Re: Star Fox (2026) Gets Free Multiplayer Update
« on: September 11, 2026, 12:02:25 PM »
Ohhhh I can't wait for this! 3 more levels will add some much needed variety.

Look at the assets in these stages! I swear these multiplayer stages are giving us a glimpse into the future!

4
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« on: August 04, 2026, 01:12:45 PM »
It's your chance to earn Kiddy Kong! Dinky Kong for our Japanese friends. First 3D model of his since Donkey Kong Racing! Maybe there was a cameo in the Mario Movie.



Look at these Animal Buddies here. It's so nice to seem them acknowledged like this outside of Smash! When those street names in Odyssey came out, I just knew we were in for some real Kong action. Even if it took the better half of a decade!


5
Wow this looks good. Haven't jumped into Fire Emblem since Awakening. Those elephants really did it for me.

6
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« on: July 24, 2026, 03:34:03 PM »

As the resident #1 Super Donkey Kong fan I made it my duty to complete them all.

Hmmm. Alright. I suppose I'll let you have it. But I'm definitely number 2 around here. (Uh-oh. Should I have written that? Eh, I'm sure those words will never be quoted and used out-of-context on me on these forums).

Although, with the amount of hours I see you've put into Smash Ultimate, I think you may also be NWR's #1 Ultra Smash Bros. fan/player as well.

lol Don’t worry your status as a number 2 will forever stay in this thread.

You know what’s odd about my Smash hours? It stopped counting several years ago when I updated to the OLED. So much of my data just didn’t work properly. I didn’t lose any progress but my 100 plus hours of Sonic Mania went to 0. My Animal Crossing Villager just disappeared. My home and foot print are still there but my character is long gone. Only my daughter, son and wife remain. Daddy Villager went out to cigarettes and never returned. Smash didn’t go to 0 it just stopped counting. Bugs the ship out of me too. The in game count is closer to 3,000 hours.

I begged for Ridley. I got Ridley. I played the heck out of Ridley!

7
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: July 23, 2026, 02:03:57 PM »
So if you get an invite you will see a notification like when a friend gets online. Go to your Home menu, check your profile and you’ll see invites. Pick the invite from there. When you send the invite I believe you gotta wait for people to join your lobby before starting a match. So I usually send an invite and wait couple minutes before I start a match again. You’ll see your in game friend list lobby light up.

Where are you checking these battle mode objectives? I didn’t know this was a thing.

8
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« on: July 22, 2026, 02:48:23 PM »
I actually did much the same. I love DK’s base movement and preferred to go after Bananas that way. Gave myself a little more of a challenge but of course used Bananza’s when necessary. Late in the game some are mandatory as some challenges are ridiculously hard. Well last few bosses and post game really.  I also kept my hearts low until it became unbearable. If you get to the end, try Nintendo’s DK Bananza Challenges. Some of them boarder on unfair but hey it’s all optional! As the resident #1 Super Donkey Kong fan I made it my duty to complete them all.

Man I tell ya, between DK and Star Fox coming back so strongly I feel like the Switch 2 is feeling like my modern SNES.

9
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: July 22, 2026, 01:17:09 PM »
Hey M.K. I see your invite, tried to join but it said the network might be unstable. I invited you instead to see if there are any changes.

For the Decoy, the enemy has to be near the decoy as it will explode after a few seconds. If someone is chasing you hopefully they are close. Otherwise use the decoy as you run into an enemy head on. To them it would look like you are flying straight at them without shooting as if you were a novice, newer people bite.

You can make the ship go faster in private lobbies. I tried it and honestly it’s way too fast. I was really looking forward to it but it’s not that everything is hard to handle, it all just looks so unnatural, everything is sped up. I wish the Arwings and Wolfens moved a little faster than standard but the speed up option again is not satisfying to look at nor does it feel satisfying in the hands. Try a bot battle, you’ll see. If they add a new mode/objective with that speed in mind I might change my mind. I’d prefer they split the difference in speed gained.

If I just not engage the next match or stall out every 20 minutes, it means I’m running to my smoker to turn the ribs.

10
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: July 21, 2026, 04:22:53 PM »
I think the medals are easier to get. Most likely because of my muscle memory from 64. I got them first before I tried the challenges. However the challenges can be so tricky and luckily restarting them is so fast, you'll be doing them over and over getting super familiar which is super great for medals.

So challenges first will make the campaign medals a cake walk honestly. I'm doing the Expert Challenges first before I go through the Expert Campaign. I feel so seasoned now I can't imagine loosing too much in general campaign where I'm free to do what I want when I want.

11
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: July 21, 2026, 03:53:06 PM »
I have been really enjoying the game. I completed the campaign 3 times and have unlocked all levels and seen the good ending. I like that I can now directly jump to any level to work on the challenges. Can you earn the medals while playing levels in challenge mode? The multiplayer was a little rough my first time but now I am really into it and holding my own. I want to try and get all the multiplayer related achievements and then maybe come back to chip away at the challenges.

You can't earn the medals in the Challenge Mode, only through the campaign. Though doing the challenges set you up for epically successful campaign missions.

I'm not sure if we are friends online yet but if you are playing Star Fox online lets be pals! I am hooked on and have gotten pretty darn good if I do say so myself! Should we ever invite one another we will always be on teams. I'm Romancedawn everywhere else online.

12
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« on: July 13, 2026, 10:38:22 PM »
I notice a good chunk of you got your Switch 2’s with Bananza! Or at the very least just got Bananza! I see those hours! You know it’s good!

13
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: July 13, 2026, 10:34:34 PM »
I’ve been playing the heck out of this game. 55 hours currently. Trying to earn every challenge on Expert. The Solar ones are so hard! How do I get 6 bombs?! It seems so random. But loving the heck out of it. I swear those info holo deck things were made to flesh out a sequel already in the works!

14
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: June 30, 2026, 07:04:39 PM »
Are we switch friends? I'm pumped to play some.

Hey if any of you see me online, I will drop everything if you shoot over an invite to Star Fox Battle Mode. I used to dream about playing Star Fox online with this community and now we have a worthwhile online mode to play. Command just wasn’t it. Also if anyone discovers any strategy to stay out of the line of fire please tell me. I feel like a sitting duck half the time.

I actually got a bit of decision paralysis with route options for my first run. Ended up deciding to go for the "Miyamoto route" but couldn't bear to fail Bill. It didn't matter because I messed up sector X so now I'm on Macbeth.

I think we are friends, if not I’ll add you this evening. I’ve got a ton of NWR friends that carried over all the way from the 3DS days. Also what’s the Miyamoto route?

I’ve got 20 hours clocked since launch. Played the Campaign 3 times but haven’t done the hard route yet trying to get that new Venom 1 medal. Completed 3 stages challenge mode and been having a really good time reading through intel files. But that multiplayer, I am so incredibly hooked! I could live with these 3 stages and modes for a good long time though of course I do want more. The thing is the straight up raw gameplay in multiplayer is so well done. Escorting friends back to base, keeping enemies off of them. Dodging enemy fighters between the rock formations or floating debris and launching a bomb straight into the walls when I can’t get behind them is so good! No game breaking bugs yet. It feels good! My friends list is lit up with Star Fox! The future is bright!

15
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: June 25, 2026, 11:36:51 PM »
Hey if any of you see me online, I will drop everything if you shoot over an invite to Star Fox Battle Mode. I used to dream about playing Star Fox online with this community and now we have a worthwhile online mode to play. Command just wasn’t it. Also if anyone discovers any strategy to stay out of the line of fire please tell me. I feel like a sitting duck half the time.

16
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: June 25, 2026, 05:59:33 PM »
I'm also hoping we get a remake of SF2 and/or Assault in this engine. Hell, give us an updated Dinosaur Planet as well!

Another remake would be fine, but I'm hoping this is a situation like Metroid: Samus Returns, where the remake is a springboard for the same developer to then make a new game in the series.

That’s exactly what it feels like. Samus Returns remake and then straight to Dread. Not to mention that same tactic worked out well with Grizo and Links Awakening to Echoes of Wisdom. Nintendo may have found a great formula for franchises that their top teams don’t handle any longer.

I’ve been pretty hooked on multilayer so far. I wish with randoms the ships were faster and had more health but it’s a good time. I know you can adjust these things in private matches. It should work like Mario Kart where it could go from 150-200cc at any time. I hope they expand on it as it’s pretty fun. There is just so much on screen, I don’t fully understand what’s happening yet. Not to mention it’s so hard to get away from enemy fire. I thought my OG skills would let me dominate but the arenas are so big it’s hard to hide.

17
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Star Fox (Switch 2)
« on: June 23, 2026, 11:30:00 AM »
Hip hip hooray! Yes I should have started a topic. But now that you have righted my wrongs we can get down to business!

As you said previously the commercial I saw in the theaters last night gave the game a cinematic, Hollywood blockbuster feel. Cut scenes blended with gameplay look so good! I have to imagine with the push from Galaxy and this just looking like an extremely solid product, this is where Star Fox takes off again! So any of you remember the previews from Assault or Zero? It was straight up sad to read what people had to say about the games. There hasn’t been honest to goodness Star Fox buzz like this since Dinosaur Planet.

I want a new game, but dagnabbit if this ain’t an extremely exciting restart to something that looks like it has longevity. Command wrote the story into a corner, Miyamoto tried to do too much with Zero and here we are. If this game brings in the fans because of its proven gameplay, amazing new art style, super fantastic looking story and no burden of being the 5th sequel of a 30 year narrative I’m all for it. I’m all for it because it means more will be on the way sooner than we probably imagine.

Boy oh boy I can’t wait to play this online! I see you can unlock characters, I hope we can unlock more ships and stages to go with the modes as well.

18
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« on: June 22, 2026, 10:45:18 PM »
Just saw a commercial for Star Fox being played at the theater before Toy Story 5. The gameplay and added scenes shown make this game look like a blockbuster movie. Normally I role my eyes at that cinematic stuff but knowing how well the game plays I can't be mad. With the Mario Galaxy leverage this game is about to take off. Well relative to other Star Fox titles. 3 million by Jan 2027. 8 million by Switch 3.

And as someone who is super well versed in all that is Star Fox 64, I love the story expansion that is added before and after each stage. The level of detail and amount of seemingly useless lore that gets tossed around is no accident. Guarantee you another game is being set up as we type that is gonna leverage these little details into oblivion.

19
I’ve completed every challenge and earned every card and congratulations photo. Just waiting on my new avatars to show off! The NSO challenges aren’t too bad and can be cheesed easily with the rewind feature. Most of the Bananza challenges are easy but the last 4 or so are absolutely evil. I played most of the main game with only 3 hearts to give myself a challenge before getting frustrated and wimping out. But having to do the boss rush with only 3 hearts and no skill tree upgrades was a nightmare. You really gotta know the game in and out to succeed. Fun little freebie.

Considering that lack of content was one of the big complaints about Emerald Rush considering the price, this being time-limited seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I must chime in and say the lack of content in Emerald Rush is false narrative by most everyone who didn’t actually play through it. You can get seriously lost in Emerald Rush. Granted I understand players would have preferred more new lands to explore beyond DK Isle but it utilizes existing stages so well in an entirely different way. I 1,000 Banana’d the main game in 80 hours. I racked up an additional 80 hours of pure Emerald Rush, never completing a difficulty more than once. Then with the timed events, earning Rattly, Engaurd, Chunky, etc I tacked on another 35 hours. The gameplay loop is extremely addicting. I totaled 195 hours before this new DK Challenge and now I sit at an even 200 hours on Bananza.

I also have to imagine these challenges will cycle through again at some point. Isn’t that what Nintendo usually does with its timed and themed events? This particular thing is probably a testing ground to pull it back, analyze and launch a new one again later. Though I suppose that’s not true for Tetris or F Zero 99. I guess it’s an incentive to get people engaged and dabble outside of their comfort zone if there is a time limit.

20
If they dropped a 2026 release window with only 6 months left of the year, it’s coming this year. They’ve probably been sitting on this game for a while now and have the confidence that it will release within 6 months. There has been so much smoke around this remake for so many years now, Nate the Hate leak or not it was expected. The Ocarina of Time Deku Tree Lego set. Rauru being spoken about in interviews by Aonuma. That patent leak, with Link and Navi in a building with paintings hung on the walls, looked like the Forest Temple. And that’s just on the top of my head. Zelda’s nearly become a yearly franchise and I welcome this course of action. A remake here and there to fill in the gaps between new entries. I just hope this is more than a what Star Fox is getting gameplay and scope wise.

Teaser first, full trailer later, then an OoT/Zelda 40th anniversary direct, release. After Breath and Tears I’ve got to imagine they’d know if they could call out a 6 month release window like that.


My 14 year old has become hooked by Majoras Mask on NSO. She skipped OoT and went straight to Majora for some reason. The only things in the direct that got her excited was Switch Sports Resort and this. I say bring it on for a new generation. We got a gajillion brand new games to play this year, a remake won’t hurt, especially if it’s as grand and expanded upon as I believe it will be.

The teaser basically told us, voice acting, new designs, new environments, new story beats and a return to stylized realism. Enough to make it the talk of the town during all these summer reveals. I very much doubt this will be an even prettier Ocarina 3D.

21
At least the original 25 year curse has been lifted. Surely there is no power left in its wicked designs.

22
Nintendo Gaming / Re: Will Nintendo Finally Drop the Switch Price?
« on: May 26, 2026, 05:35:24 PM »
The Switch 1 already went up in price last year so who’s to say another increase won’t happen?

23
When it comes to the art style, I’ll tell you this, Miyamoto and presumably others within Nintendo view Star Fox as a “realistic” franchise. The first time I was given this notion was either Smash Melee or Brawl. I believe it was Melee, one of the later Event Matches. Event 33, I just looked it up.  The description is “Nintendo’s realistic fighters!” These
Fighters include Samus, Link, Zelda, Captain Falcon and yup Fox. Teenage me was like Fox?! Then I thought about the war setting and it made a little sense.

Do you all remember the Crystal interviews? How Miyamoto wanted a sexy character in Star Fox? So she was then carried into Assault? Yes it’s out there I promise! Not to mention Miyamoto’s insistence that story for a Star Fox game is ok lol. Despite cartoony depictions the games themselves are played pretty straight as far as their characterizations and story beats involving death and such.

Fox needed to fit in with the Mario cast so of course within that art style he’d look like that. However, ever since Zero’s character renders it looked to me like the characters were getting closer to a realistic art style. Not too much but far and away more gritty than 64 3D’s art style or Commands.

Much like Zelda never really being able to sit too long in a single style I imagine the artists at Nintendo wanted to go ham now that they had technology that is somewhat cutting edge. Remember when Aonuma wanted to convey NES Zelda artwork into a real game? I bet the developers looked back at the real life puppets and realized they could go beyond that now.

At the very least isn’t this at least more visually distinct from Nintendo’s usual offerings? I love that Star Fox is finding a new identity with this super realistic look. Though admittedly outside of the characters being animals this art style might fit in well with any old realistic 3rd party offering. Still, I keep seeing Rocket Raccoon and the other Guardians. Gosh I hope Donkey Kong and Zelda lean in towards the realism. Doesn’t have to be this realistic but more of what I imagined Country and Ocarina of Time would be by now in this day and age.

24
Sorry to double post but my last one was so long I thought it best to separate these topics.

I see a lot of comments online of people comparing the graphics to the puppets from the SNES Star Fox marketing.  I don't see that at all.  Never made the association until someone suggested it.

For me it's the overtly realistic and somewhat dirty quality this new game seems to share with the SNES puppets. The new artwork doesn't seem to be as dingy but in game shots depict a dark dinginess that gives it a really cool SNES edge. And honestly I LOVE it! It really separates Star Fox from Nintendo's usual bright and colorful lineup.








25
@Broodwars

I haven’t played many remakes besides Mario RPG lately or I guess Let’s Go Eevee. However the way you describe Resident Evil 3 from my perspective is basically a brand new game narrative or not. That’s how I see Zero. The stage objectives, gameplay, graphics and voice work are all completely new. It’s a brand new game essentially following a similar narrative. Story wise it’s a remake but otherwise it’s a totally different game. If it wasn’t there wouldn’t be nearly as much backlash. I’d much much much rather have a new game but I’d rather have this than another Assault or another Zero(which I had an amazing time with but admittedly the barrier to entry was too much for most).

@Iansane & Broodwars - I’ve been chatting with you two on these boards since we were teenagers. I’ll be 40 in a few weeks. Lord have mercy… The Star Fox IP has been mishandled to high heaven. And there 20 years olds today who never got to experience Star Fox the way we did. I believe I understand exactly what Nintendo is up to and yeah it leaves us old school SF64 players a little high and dry but the bigger picture is setting us up good for the long run. My 11 year old saw this and flipped out. He tried playing 64 on NSO but he couldn’t get past the graphics. Listening to the chatter in my Mario Galaxy viewing Fox got everyone excited.

Judging by interviews I think this game was a done deal AFTER it was decided that Fox was going to be in Mario Galaxy. At that point Nintendo may have had to make a decision about what they could do quickly enough be in sync with the Galaxy release. The game itself already had its core and they built up around it for a relatively quick turn around. This is all my assumption of course.

A new game/new adventure could still accomplish the same things but maybe this was their best course of action to set the series up for the next 20 years. Like Metroid 2 Samus Returns being that remake testing ground for Mercury Steam before Dread. I’m fully expecting a new game within the next 4 years.

Whatever the case you best believe I’m going run defense for this game! As BlackNMild once put it, enjoy the Expect Less Express! My Hype Train is on full speed ahead! These ultra realistic graphics are so unlike Nintendo, it’s turning heads already. The expansion to the story is going to cement the narrative for future games and almost certainly a movie. As the “beginning” with regular aspirin controls, new fans know what to expect going forward. And now with a seemingly good effort in online multiplayer, those who purchase can get competitive with their skills in a way that I used to dream about! I dreamed about it last night in fact! Oh and it’s a budget title! Just purchased mine for $50. I’m going to get it physical as well and make a Star Fox section on my wall like one of the gentlemen from the Nintendo World Report staff. You might think I’m part of the problem but my efforts are going to help make Star Fox great again!

I’m watching y’all’s players log. Iansane are we friends on Switch/Switch2? Soon as I see you got the game I’m inviting you to online matches with my Leon avatar on Gamechat.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179