Author Topic: Metroid Pinball DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters Delayed  (Read 17109 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Pinball DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters Delayed
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2005, 06:55:34 AM »
"They should make a Nintendo Pinball Collection instead where you have various tables themed after the various Nintendo franchises instead of making individual pinball games out of them."

I don't mind this idea.  It's not so much that it's a pinball game it's that it's a METROID pinball game and its Nintendo's fifth portable pinball game based on a franchise.  It's like Pinball is the idea that comes up when they're starved for product as Mario Pinball Land shows.  It just seems wrong for a "serious" Metroid game to be turned into a pinball title particularly when it is quite different from Kirby, Pokemon and Mario in its look.  And it also seems pretty greedy to release multiple franchise based pinball games instead of just one big SSB style pinball game.  Something with seperate boards for each franchise just to me seems more appropriate.  Then it's just a big fun game like SSB instead of an out-of-character Metroid game.

It's like how that Konami kart racing game had characters from "serious" Konami games like Castlevania but it worked in that it was big Konami crossover game.  A Castlevania kart racer however would be completely out-of-place.  This is what I see Metroid Pinball as.  It's Super Castlevania Kart.  Why bugger up a perfectly good series when a Nintendo crossover game would probably result in a better title?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2005, 08:10:27 AM »

It's Super Castlevania Kart
The possibility of Super Castlevania Kart got me really excited for a second.  Then a realised Konami wouldn't release it on the Cube anyway.  So what's the point?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Pinball DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters Delayed
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2005, 11:46:28 AM »
I swear, like Eminem says, Nintendo is "The most hated on out of all those who say they get hated on".  Man, you guys are brutal.  It's a little side-game to the Metroid universe, let's leave it at that.  As long as it stays true to the spirit of the franchise, that's cool with me.  I'd like to see a pinball game with a dark and sombre theme, that'd be cool.

I agree with whoever said the DS is custom-suited to pinball.  It'll be awesome.  Also note that the DS is supposedly aimed at an older audience, so when they decided to do a pinball game, Metroid was the obvious choice.  If it would have been Pokemon pinball, you guys would have bitched about Nintendo making another DS game for children.  Nintendo can't win.

silks  
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2005, 12:04:48 PM »

I agree with whoever said the DS is custom-suited to pinball. It'll be awesome.

Could anyone explain to me why this is? I could see making your own tables with the touch screen fun, but it would be little more than a cool gimmick. It has no potential for wireless multiplayer or using the mocriophone. Having the ball move from screen to screen will be a hindrance. Pinball control has already been emulated perfectly with three buttons, what can the DS add to this?

I'm looking for a DS game that will excite me and show me what the console can do, a 'killer app'. Right now the DS has plenty of games you can pick up and play, and four GBA pinabll games you can play on it, so why is this at all necessary?  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2005, 12:16:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Caillan

I agree with whoever said the DS is custom-suited to pinball. It'll be awesome.

Could anyone explain to me why this is? I could see making your own tables with the touch screen fun, but it would be little more than a cool gimmick. It has no potential for wireless multiplayer or using the mocriophone. Having the ball move from screen to screen will be a hindrance. Pinball control has already been emulated perfectly with three buttons, what can the DS add to this?

Most notable is probably the two screens.  The whole table can be shown with little or no movement, and without looking weirdly angled like Mario Pinball Land.  No other system can do that without wasted space or a squashed table.  Sure, the NGage has a vertical screen, but ehhh, it's the NGage...

The other things that the DS has (stylus/touch screen, microphone, wirelessness) probably won't be utilised, that's true...  >_<  Though the DS is the most powerful (Nintendo) handheld, so maybe there'd be impressive 3D graphics now.  I'm guessing that pinball games on consoles have never done as well as on handhelds.  I don't even recall very many console pinball games since the 3D era began...

I liked PinBot on the NES.  Don't remember why, though.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2005, 12:56:54 PM »
f it would have been Pokemon pinball, you guys would have bitched about Nintendo making another DS game for children."

I would have bitched over another Pokemon title being released, but meh *shrugs*

After playing Space Cadet pinball (the one that comes free with WinXP) today during class, I'm actually looking forward to this title.  I mean, that game has a pretty uninspired board (only one of them, at that) but it's still pretty fun :thumbsup:  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »

Why bugger up a perfectly good series when a Nintendo crossover game would probably result in a better title?

How the hell does Metroid Pinballs existance make currently released Metroid games worse?

It just seems wrong for a "serious" Metroid game to be turned into a pinball title particularly when it is quite different from Kirby, Pokemon and Mario in its look.

It seems right to me, now we have a pinball game of a different variety! Different is not bad.

As for touch screen, you could probably pull back the thing with the touch screen to launch the ball.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2005, 02:41:24 PM »
I think we'll be doing more with the touch screen than just pulling a plunger...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2005, 06:27:20 PM »
Well duh, but that's all I could think of, because i'm not Mr Nintendo.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2005, 06:55:08 PM »
Mr. Nintendo sez: "Use the touch screen to destroy the war wasps that fly in the screen and hit samus around.  Use the microphone to, like, totally blow some fire/snow/plain old wind over the board for happy effects or some junk.  Wirless multiplayer consists of some kind of creative pinball battle thing.  Like, on the top screen is a monster thing which represents your opponent, and you try to get combos and trick shots to launch missles at it and stuff.  Winner is first to WIN."

*I* think they sound like fun ideas.  And if I can think of things like that in 30 seconds, Nintendo should be able to pull off some very creative stuff.  

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Metroid Pinball.

kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2005, 12:12:35 AM »
If Nintendo are smart, they'll make sure this isn't as awful as "Mario Pinball" was.

Meanwhile, the DS is looking more gimmicky as each day passes. I'm pleased haven't bought one - GBA rocks my world, because the games are plentiful and - y'know, good. I'm also liking the PSP as a possiblilty although I'll probably wait for a revision and a price drop.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2005, 12:24:28 AM »
"Meanwhile, the DS is looking more gimmicky as each day passes."

Either you've missed the Castlevania DS announcement or you haven't played Aria of Sorrow.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2005, 12:32:30 PM »
That's one of the main reasons I bought my DS, but Castelvania won't come out until fall... as of right now, all we really have is gimmick, (which isn't so bad... it is attracting non-gamers to the fold), but Nintendo needs to seriously kick it up a notch and release some games with substance to bridge the gap between now and later this fall/winter when all the titles everyone is excited about are supposed to come out (Mario Kart, Metroid, Castlevania, etc.)
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »
I'm just about fed up with all this gimmick bullshit.  The touchscreen and two screens are not a gimmick, they are a new form of gameplay.  Sure, its layout happens to be especially good for simple puzzle games and the like, but that doesn't mean it's a gimmick.  It's just another type of game.  No one ever called using a controller for Pacman or Tetris a gimmick, and this criticism makes about as much sense as that would.  No, there isn't some epic RPG bore-quest out for DS that effectively uses its capabilities, but there will be.  The developers have to get a feel for the system, understand its subtleties, before they can make a game like that.  No game like that existed with Atari and very few on the original Nintendo because it was new then.  Face it, the only reason you call those games classics is because that's what you played before you knew better.  If Tetris came out for the first time now, it'd be labelled with gimmick and boring.
Many people like what the DS has to offer right now, and it will continue to offer it.  But games that appeal to you and that incorporate the old with the new will come around, so stop f'ckin whining.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2005, 06:50:11 AM »
"Either you've missed the Castlevania DS announcement or you haven't played Aria of Sorrow."

I'm quite interested in Castlevania DS but it's third party.  The whole DS was Nintendo's idea so it would be nice to see something really deep from them.  To me they haven't sold the concept yet and they won't until something that I view as good as Nintendo's past classics is released.  I like quirky little fun arcade style games but I don't spend much money on them and I don't buy whole systems to play them on.  Nintendo's current DS projects look more like something that should compliment a lineup with much bigger games then form the entire lineup.