Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Prompts System Update  (Read 7766 times)

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Prompts System Update
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 02:52:51 AM »
k, I think it enables you to see who on your friends list has metroid prime 3 so you know who you can send wiiconnect24 stuff to and who not to cause they don't have the game.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Prompts System Update
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 03:23:16 AM »

Originally posted by: planetidiot
Sounds like they're pulling a Sony.  Here's a new update, with some new features and oh, by the way, we just locked out "homebrew".

Fixed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 06:31:48 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Sounds like they're pulling a Sony.  Here's a new update, with some new features and oh, by the way, we just locked out "homebrew".

Fixed.

Well Sony does lock out loads of legitimate homebrew.  I don't know what the status is/was of homebrew on the wii/gamecube, but it seems like they're getting everyone used to the idea of constant firmware updates.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »
There really isn't anything wrong with companies keeping people from stealing from them.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
Sony locks out Homebrew because most people use it to play SNES games.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
I still say that was the funniest thing about PSP.

Me - "So why did you get a PSP?"

Friends at College - "Cause you can play all the old SNES Games!"

oh the irony.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 08:32:18 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Fixed.

Yeah. If by "homebrew" you mean games imported from regions where they aren't overpriced by 50% and delayed by half a year.

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 04:47:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
There really isn't anything wrong with companies keeping people from stealing from them.

There's so much wrong with this statement I won't even try.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 04:53:58 AM »
People can't steal games when they're dead. Is that so wrong?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 05:43:11 AM »

There's so much wrong with this statement I won't even try.

Hah.

How bout this one...

"There really isn't anything wrong with planetidiot keeping people from stealing from him."

Is there a lot wrong with that statement too?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »
Oh boy, I'm sure stealing SOOOOOO much money from Nintendo by buying their games where they demand less money for them! In fact I'm probably stealing even more by waiting for games to reach the bargain bin and worst of all THERE ARE GAMES I DON'T EVEN BUY! OMG!!!!!

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 03:10:34 AM »

How bout this one...

"There really isn't anything wrong with planetidiot keeping people from stealing from him."

Is there a lot wrong with that statement too?

Oh for the love of eff.

1) Copying software may be illegal, but it is not "stealing".  
2) They aren't stopping anyone from "stealing".  

Pirates will find a way to copy software regardless of all the DRM, firmware updates and other nonsense a company can come up with.  Computers run code.  Code must be read to be run.  If the code can be read, the code can be written.  This is called "copying".  End of story.  

All these tactics do is annoy legitimate customers.

Nintendo hasn't been bad about it in the past, but this relatively recent burst of mysterious mandatory updates is troubling.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 03:39:48 AM »
Some DRM annoys legitimate customers.  This isn't DRM in the vein of iTunes where there are legitimate uses for the product outside of Apple's software.  This isn't the PC industry where people have so much more control over the machines the games are running on.  This is them keeping people from modifying consoles in a way that could allow them to play completely pirated games without really taking any legitimate use away from people.  No, sending your VC games to all your friends is NOT a legitimate use.

Nintendo doesn't want you to mess with their hardware.  Remember what happened to the dreamcast who took the "don't really care" approach?  You are kidding yourself thinking that it's your right.

The only people I feel sorry for are the people who live in regions where game releases suck, like KDR.  It would be nice if Nintendo made their titles region free.  That's what you should fight for, not for the right to modify your software for 'homebrew'.  It's ridiculous how many people use that term as a defense.  Only a TINY percentage of them actually make their own games or play games made by other people.  I know KDR is one of them who does, but that doesn't make it the rule.
---------------------

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »

The only people I feel sorry for are the people who live in regions where game releases suck, like KDR.  

AND ME.

I wont go down the homebrew route, but Nintendo won't make it region free because it would show how useless NoE really is. The occasional rewards (Mario Strikers) for being here is cancelled out by everything else (Animal Crossing, Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime and Corruption, Paper Mario).

I think its down to Nintendo ultimately being money hungry. Games here are £35, about $70. Unlocking it would encourage an amount of people to import, which means less money to the European side and NoA would look like its doing so much better.