Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Ontamarama  (Read 1396 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
IMPRESSIONS: Ontamarama
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
Imagine what would happen if Ouendan and DDR had a baby.  A very strange-looking baby.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=14038

Leave it to Atlus to bring a quirky Japanese rhythm game to America.  Already released in Japan as Ontama: Onpu-tou Hen, Ontamarama is a music game that requires multitasking of the Nintendo DS touch screen and D-Pad to play along with the beat of a Japanese soundtrack.  A series of colored panels scroll across the top of the touch screen, indicating which direction to press on the D-Pad.  The rest of the touch screen fills up with colored slime-looking objects which cause the similarly-colored scrolling panels to fill with a solid color when tapped, increasing their score value.  Some panels are larger and require multiple slimes to be cleared from the touch screen to become filled.  As a shortcut, you can draw a circle around a slime group that's all the same color to clear multiple slimes at once.    

Coordinating the D-Pad dancing and the touch screen tapping was quite easy to do in the first level I tried, so much so that I asked for a tougher level right away.  As if to show me who was the boss, I got one of the harder songs in the game, at which time I was promptly whooped.  Hitting the correct buttons on the D-Pad to the beat of the music was easy enough, but I also had to make sure the slimes were being cleared.  Coordinating this was really hard, especially since the tapping and circling wasn't fixed to any particular beat of the music.  I could clear the screen any time I wanted, which made juggling the rhythm of the D-Pad and the disarray of the touch screen very intimidating.    

I cried Ouendan on that stage and went to something that was medium in difficulty.  Though it was hard to hear the music (despite a pair of big headphones and a quieter E3 show floor), I think that the music and the touch screen patterns may line up in a certain way, but that way must be discovered by the player to make the best run at a high score.  Looking back, I don't know if such a thing was possible in the nightmarishly hard song that I tried out, but if Ontamarama is indeed designed in such a way, it may knock the socks off of Ouendan in terms of difficulty.  Otherwise, the game is an uncoordinated mess.    

I'm definitely interested in Ontamarama, though I would have liked more time with it to be sure about some details.  Despite that, there's always room in my game library for a new music game, and based on what I've played so far, I wouldn't mind including Ontamarama in it.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: IMPRESSIONS: Ontamarama
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »
So is anything going on on the top screen?
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi