Author Topic: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS  (Read 27627 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
Technically speaking the DSi was as much a successor over the DS as the GBC was over the GB. The only difference was Nintendo didn't treat it as such and released the 3DS only a year later. But if you can imagine the GBC getting released and getting a few titles but then the GBA coming out just a year later and nipping it in the bud then its the exact same thing.

The more I think about it the more I realize the DSi is kinda like Sega's 32X scheme, and the 3DS is the equivalent of the Saturn. In both cases it was something that probably never should have been released in the first place, but it was and then it was almost immediately eclipsed by a successor.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:51:19 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Not at all, the DSi was just a revision of the DS while the Game Boy Color was a brand new system. I think the GBC was a placeholder system though, they knew the GB was aging but their next system wasn't ready for release yet.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
Repeating that doesn't make it true.

It's instructive to look at how Nintendo classifies the systems:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/

It's pretty clear that GBC is considered the same as DSi.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
Eh, I've seen Nintendo bundle all Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance models in one, so I think it's more that they see the Game Boy and DS brands as one entity. I go by the market as the main indicator, but that's just me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2011, 02:10:55 AM »
ok heres the deal, we all know there will be a redesign of the 3ds, which is why i didn't buy the original in the first place.
those who did are fucked...
sort of
concession. bulky Circle pad add-on, at least you can play. Complain? You should have known better. Its ugly, but i bet still functional and probably even comfortable. So when 3ds+ comes out, that's what i'll get.  expect 3ds+ to be announced when all the badassed WiiU games are.

As a consumer I "should have known better?"?  Are you serious?

yes as a DS phat owner, yes yes. I learned my lesson. Theres pluses and minuses to being an early adopter, plus you get to play it sooner, minus you pay more, minus if they release a redesign. Also mop_it_up was saying its unprecedented, but I still don't own a Wii+ controller or add on. They have released add-ons and the upgraded versions of systems. Its not a big deal, nobody should complain about having the beta 3ds.

also, i barely just played 3ds a week ago for the first time at a best buy. Great system, screw the haters.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:15:33 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
Theres pluses and minuses to being an early adopter, plus you get to play it sooner, minus you pay more,

I owned both a DS Phat and a DSi but I paid $149.99 for the Phat and then $169.99 for the DSi, even though the DSi came out like 5 years later. So you don't necessarily always pay less by being an early adopter (at least not if you want the latest and greatest model), but that is more an exception than the rule.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
The big difference is that the GBC was successful while the DSi was like some weird joke only suckers bought.
Ha, burn.

I love my DSi. I needed another DS to play Contra 4 and Phantasy Star 0. I never used my DSLite for backwards compatibility. It has the best form factor of any Nintendo product ever. Ever. I admit that I expected more from DSiWare, but I did get to play Shantae: Risky's Revenge last year and it's a really great game. In fact, while I own a 3DS, I still use my DSi today whenever I play DS games. I'm currently playing through Chrono Trigger again.

Offline DEDwyer64

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
Doesn't look terrible. Kinda bulky. My only problem with it is that it makes the 3DS look unproportional. :P:

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »
It has the best form factor of any Nintendo product ever. Ever.
I will respectfully disagree.  I believe the Original GBA design holds that title for me.  Shame about the screen.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
I will respectfully disagree.  I believe the Original GBA design holds that title for me.  Shame about the screen.
Seriously? I had to get a PlayStation controller-esque attachment so that one wouldn't hurt my hands to play.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
Seriously? I had to get a PlayStation controller-esque attachment so that one wouldn't hurt my hands to play.
Really?  SP->3DS Hurt my hands in long play sessions, especially SP, though to be honest the 3DS is now better with the extended battery. While the GBA and I logged a LOT of hours and I had no problems in that manner.  Not to mention the Dual Shock design gets to me as well in long durations.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
I actually think that Nintendo handhelds have gotten less and less comfortable with each new system they introduced, which is probably related to how they kept getting smaller and more cramped. The original Game Boy is still the best for me, which has a nice large size and easy-to-reach buttons. The 3DS has the most components shoved into the smallest possible system, which is probably why it's their least comfortable handheld yet.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
There has never been anything like the original Gameboy or the Gamegear. Those were truly "Phat" systems with a lot of meat on their bones. Since then everything has got not only smaller but thinner too. The Gameboy and Gamebear were like bricks or loafs of bread, and the handhelds of today are like individual slices of bread in comparison. They are easier to fit in your pocket, but they aren't as cuddly to hold.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »