Author Topic: Sonic Gems Collection Review  (Read 3194 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Sonic Gems Collection Review
« on: September 01, 2005, 09:34:54 PM »
You can talk about my review here.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Sonic Gems Collection Review
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 03:26:54 AM »
I really liked Vectorman.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 08:41:39 AM »

Sonic CD is a good game, but it is not the masterpiece some have proclaimed it to be.

Who said it was a masterpiece?  Either way, I'll be getting this compilation just so I can own Sonic CD...(once the price drops, of course...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »
Back before Sonic Mega Collection came out I remember reading things like about Sonic CD such as "the best Sonic game" in various previews and interviews.  Sega calls it critically acclaimed right on the box.

If you liked Vectorman, I don't hate you Famicom.  I wanted to like Vectorman, actually, but just couldn't enjoy it.  I guess this means this collection is a better value for you.
Nintendo World Report

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 09:57:50 AM »
I sorta liked Vectorman, but I only got past the first level once  I don't remeber the seizure boxes....

Anyway, I've got Sonic CD for Windahz, so I'd only get this game when it's like 5-10 bucks.  I pretty much just want the other games just so I can say I've played them

edit: owate, I forgot, Sonic CD is all incompatible with newer version of, uhh, DirectX I think.  Or maybe just WIndows XP.  Anyone know how to fix this?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 10:39:32 AM »
Sorry, I've been in that boat for like five years now, KnowsNothing.  That's why I say (playable copy) in my review.  It has something to do with a short-lived API made by Intel for Windows 95 and 98.  Intel completely dropped support when Windows switched over to NT technology (Win 2000), I guess not enough games used their code.

So the answer is, unless you have a PC that can boot to Windows 98, no, you can't play it.  That CD still works as a soundtrack, though!

Edit: The seizure boxes aren't as frequent in the original.  They're EVERYWHERE in the darker sequel.
Nintendo World Report

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
RE:Sonic Gems Collection Review
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 01:18:39 PM »

Sonic Gems Collection is packed with rare games, but "rare" is frequently confused with "good".

Thank you for admitting that! I used to be one of those people who got really excited when something rare was discovered, and would get really into it. Eventually, I began to recognize things for their actual quality, regardless of popularity. It's so true that a lot of people praise things which really aren't that good, calling mediocre or average games that sold moderately "under-rated" and so on.

That said, Sonic CD has some neat stuff going for it, but a lot of its level design looks like it came from a slightly above average fangame. And that is not a compliment.

Offline miedo

• View Profile
RE:Sonic Gems Collection Review
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »
TYP, that makes me cry.  I had bought the Sonic 3 & Knuckles/Sonic CD PC discs because they were cheaper than the Mega Collection and had the games I really wanted to play.  The Sonic 3 discs worked, which is good, but the Sonic CD one didn't.  Now that I know that it won't ever work on my PC, I suppose I can use it as a disc or something.

I might pick up Gems collection.  I haven't played Sonic CD, and people say it's the best.  I still love Sonic 3 + Knuckles, so it might be hard to top that.  Still, I remember fond times with Vectorman, seizure flashes or not.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 02:42:29 PM »
Like I said, Sonic CD on the PC still functions as a soundtrack CD.  I guess Vectorman has more going for it than I thought--maybe I'll give it another chance.

Gally: Most of the Sonic Game Gear games feel like below-average fangames, so Sonic CD is not alone.
Nintendo World Report

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 04:08:16 AM »
I really wish Sega would of included the Master System Sonic games for this collection instead of the awfully squished/RUINED Game Gear versions again. Sonic 2 is virtually unplayable on Game Gear thanks to the cropped image size.

I like to whinge about junk.

I've already pre-ordered the GC version. Still no idea if the PAL version includes Streets of Rage, which would be erotic.